• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which FF should get the FFVIIR treatment?

• FFIV

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • FFV

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • FFVI

Votes: 466 57.9%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 157 19.5%
  • FFIX

Votes: 109 13.5%
  • Others (i.e. how dare you not include "put your numbered ff game here", etc)

Votes: 32 4.0%

• Total voters

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
VI.

I haven't actually played any before XII so have no opinion on any of the games, but this would at least make a few friends happy/shut them up.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I started with FF7, so haven't really played the SNES Games, i tried them years later, but couldn't really enjoy them, so i wish they would remake FF VI. I heard it's the best, or one of the best. After that please FF9, love it as much as FF7.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
None. No other game in the franchise enjoys FF7's popularity that would make a remake on this magnitude viable. I would rather have some new shit too.

Besisdes, Squeenix will be working on this thing for at least another decade, so they really don't have the time to mess with other games.

Regarding FFVI specifically, I'm really not interested in seeing Nomura and company's idiotic modern take on Kefka being a literal clown that prances around while slapping his ass.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the option for "none of them"? VII-R has taken way too long as-is, and only Part 1 is even on the horizon.

VI would greatly benefit from a definitive 3D remake, but I'd prefer if they didn't make it one of these behemoth-sized photo-realistic projects, which take so long people begin to question their existence.

If they really wanted to do another VII-R style re-imagining, IV would benefit the most, IMO. Those opening CGs always left my mouth watering, and its scale seems more doable. With a bit of modern ironing out, IV's story could be really special and cinematic, too.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
VI by far.

Also I'd love to see my child dreams of the FFVI Ultra 64 demo come true in glorious fashion.

(Skip to 3:40 for Bahamut summon \o/ )

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Where's the option for "none of them"? VII-R has taken way too long as-is, and only Part 1 is even on the horizon.

VI would greatly benefit from a definitive 3D remake, but I'd prefer if they didn't make it one of these behemoth-sized photo-realistic projects, which take so long people begin to question their existence.

If they really wanted to do another VII-R style re-imagining, IV would benefit the most, IMO. Those opening CGs always left my mouth watering, and its scale seems more doable. With a bit of modern ironing out, IV's story could be really special and cinematic, too.

Assuming that they've figured out the workflow for this sort of project along the way, I think you could reasonably see a project on the scale of FFVII-R take 3-4 years next time around.

If VII-R is a blow-out hit, it's not hard to imagine Square going Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty/Madden on the remakes.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need a full on remake of FF VI. Give it the IV PSP treatment. Just please god give us a definitive version. It's really frustrating that there's no single best way to play the game at this point.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
VI aka the best one, but i'm not gonna lie, imagine the locations of FF9 in a new engine and getting the sane treatment as 7... God!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We need something for VI. It's the best game in the franchise and all we have is an ugly Flash Player 2003 looking port.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm not sure that SE has earned any assumptions of that sort just yet.

Agreed, yeah. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that they're revamped strategy they developed when they rebooted the FFVII-R project a few years back was a proper course correction, based on what I'm seeing.

Reusing XV's tech seems to have paid off. I imagine it makes it easier to produce a game like VII-R.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
If FFVI were ever to be remade, I'd want (a) for it to have visuals that resemble Amano's artwork, and (b) the stageplay conceit maintained.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, yeah. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that they're revamped strategy they developed when they rebooted the FFVII-R project a few years back was a proper course correction, based on what I'm seeing.

Reusing XV's tech seems to have paid off. I imagine it makes it easier to produce a game like VII-R.

They didn't reuse FFXV tech.It's not even the same team or engine.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
giphy.gif

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
VIII is my all-time favorite, but I gotta go FFVI.

Seeing that steam-punk world fully realized, those characters, those scenes made on a more cinematic glory, all with an Amano filter?
Absolute dream of mine.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Tactics as it is timeless masterpiece, throw in that scrapped Delita's side of story.

I can replay Tactics infinitely.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I said VI but I'm not sure I really want that...
Id rather have an octopath style or something similar to keep the feel closer to the original... but maybe I'm wrong. maybe a real looking game would be cool
I actually think something like trials of mana remake style would work... but darker and more matching the tone of the world of FFVI
I think 8 could benefit from the reimagining most though.... but I don't care for that game as much as the others.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
None of them and all of them. If VII "deserves" a remake of this caliber then all of them do as far as I'm concerned. All of these games have their fanbases so I don't think one having more or less fans should really be a factor on if it deserves it or not. These things shouldn't cater exclusively to fans after all and should attempt to get other people interested as well.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Unrealistic answer - Xenogears
Sorta unrealistic answer - Final Fantasy Tactics
Realistic answer - FF6 or 9

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
But we'll get the last chapter of FF7R maybe in 2023 - if we are lucky. Then totally new Remake? 2026 maybe?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
None ideally. It's bad enough to wait for a main line FF game. Throw into the mix a remake that takes just as long if not longer? Really hope they just focus on a new main line title. VII R isn't even going to be the complete game.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I have wanted a FFVI remake since I played the FFIV remake on the 3DS years ago. Modern graphics Terra and Celes...give it to me now.
A remake for both V and VI is long overdue.
The latter is my favorite game in the series, I really want to see the cast, specially Celes in an updated look (like Dissidia NT) and not only in designs like the one from WoFF.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Folks saying 6 but I feel like what that would end up as wouldn't satisfy a lot of fans of that game.

But 8,9, and 10

Would be pretty cool

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
First off, fuck Roman numerals.

Second, definitely 6 or 9, though I dunno if they can handle those games.

It would be great to see a fully realized 9, especially after the Dark Crystal show.