• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which FF should get the FFVIIR treatment?

• FFIV

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • FFV

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • FFVI

Votes: 466 57.9%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 157 19.5%
  • FFIX

Votes: 109 13.5%
  • Others (i.e. how dare you not include "put your numbered ff game here", etc)

Votes: 32 4.0%

• Total voters

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
It has always been VI but square hates it for some reason. They wouldn't even do an FFIV style remake of it.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'd stab faces for a high quality Final Fantasy VI remake. It doesn't have to be as high fidelity as Final Fantasy VII's remake. Even just a really well done Octopath Traveler style game would suffice. It's a crying shame that the GBA version was the last time Final Fantasy VI got a decent port or update. Maybe the best video game of all time, and at this point even Final Fantasy VIII (a game I love, but still not as much as VI) got a high quality (if flawed) remaster first.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Please not VI. The inevitable hyper anime style it would get redone in would take a lot away for me personally.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
VIII, and after the remaster i really want that 8 gets a remake.
But im also okay with VI.
Actually i deserves it even more to get a remake. Just imagine Terra or Kefka and all those epic scenes, mosters ect. in HD

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FFIX. I loved that setting. I crave a cute and gorgeous high fantasy single player FF.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
VIII is the one that needs the most, if you think about how a remake would improve the combat and overall gameplay.

VI would be epic. Kinda want IX eventually as well.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I would actually rather get new FF worlds and stories more quickly, tbh. I would go for REMake style versions of 8 and 9 if they were so inclined, though.

Oct 27, 2017
VIII. It is so ripe with cinematic and action packed moments that a modern design would only elevate. Hell, it's probably more apt than VII if there wasn't a nostalgia/groundbreaking entry factor. But please VIII. I want a playable opening cinematic fight against Seifer.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i dont see it happening. The VII fandom was established at the perfect time with the Playstation fandom. Its huge following is why they are going all out to begin with.

The next best game would be VI, but by the time they are done with VII im not sure there will the desire for it still.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
they still have FF7R part 2 and 3 before they start remaking other FFs lol (at least if we assume remakes on the same scale as 7R).

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people haven't experienced FF6. That should be the next remake(if there is one).

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously FF6, but it would take a decade for Square to finish up FF7R and to get few years of dev time on next project before unveiling it.

Can I vote none at all? I'd rather have a new game.
Tabata's old team [Luminous Studio] is working on a next game. They will probably be a team that will continue cranking on mainline FF games.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
If they're going to bother at all, 6 is the obvious choice. That said none of the other games are going to be considered enough of a "sure thing" for SE to fund such a thing.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Give me my FFIX remake please. That game's setting remade with today's technology...

Square, do it.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, how lovely. I voted for VI and it looks like I'm not the only one. Such an amazing game, not just an amazing Final Fantasy game. Every JRPG fan should play VI.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
X should be relatively easy if they take a less ambitious approach and don't expand too far out from the base material. Something akin to the Shadow of the Colossus Remake, but for next gen.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Of the numbered Final Fantasy games, I'd want Final Fantasy VI. But if they were to go as detailed as the FFVII Remake, that would be a stupidly huge game.

However, I'd want Chrono Trigger to get the FFVII Remake treatment first. Only done in Akira Toriyama style, and extreme care put into making the game look 2D in 3D, not unlike the Arc Sys fighting games.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
VI, but only if it keeps the style and design language of the original and is faithful to Amano's designs without Nomura ridiculousness added.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think square will ever remake one of their games on the level of the VII remake, but I could see a VI remake with the scale of Trials of Mana.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm hoping none. I actually like the original versions of all my favourites in the series, and I think Square is better off making new games. If anything, I'd rather they make a new game like the old ones, instead of making the old ones into a new game.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to imagine what an updated IX would even look like. Between the rat people, Brahne and Quina I feel like it would be nightmare fuel.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
IX. That world would be absolutely stunning on a modern engine, and it still has the best cast after VII.

Oct 25, 2017
A remake for both V and VI is long overdue.
The latter is my favorite game in the series, I really want to see the cast, specially Celes in an updated look (like Dissidia NT) and not only in designs like the one from WoFF.
Celes and Terra are my favorite Final Fantasy women, they just have very good stories. Also Celes needs pants or something in a redesign. She looks like a sword wielding ballerina in her Amano artwork.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
FF VII Remake treatment meaning turning it into a Nomura'd, westernized action RPG chopped into multiple parts? Stay far, far away from VI please.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love love love to see an updated version of VIII since it's my favorite (and I think has the most missed opportunities), but VI would probably benefit best from it. There are a lot of obtuse mechanics and progression points in VI that end up completely unexplained (re-recruiting Relm, for instance, changes completely; the game barely hints that you should wait for Shadow; there are multiple points that rely solely on exploration instead of NPC clues on where to go), so getting VI with modern sensibilities would probably help it a lot.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
VI is the best candidate. It would lend itself well toward a remake. It's really the only other game of the series I'd say is deserving of the treatment. It's not my favorite of the bunch, but it was forward thinking and remains engaging today. It would be great to see it reimagined for contemporary audiences.