• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which FF should get the FFVIIR treatment?

• FFIV

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • FFV

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • FFVI

Votes: 466 57.9%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 157 19.5%
  • FFIX

Votes: 109 13.5%
  • Others (i.e. how dare you not include "put your numbered ff game here", etc)

Votes: 32 4.0%

• Total voters

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A new take on Final Fantasy 1 that fleshes out the plot and reimagines FF with more of an emphasis on roleplaying and choice

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Celes and Terra are my favorite Final Fantasy women, they just have very good stories. Also Celes needs pants or something in a redesign. She looks like a sword wielding ballerina in her Amano artwork.
We need more Celes!!
I must say that I really like Amano's design and costume.

You can see it more clearly with her Opera Omnia artwork (don't know if it is Nomura who drawns all the characters)

DI47jcCXYAATCZg

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
XVI

Learn the lessons from VII, its how you can make a game with great characters, great setting, immediately impactful music and presentation and apply it to your new game.

Otherwise, Xenogears ;)

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
None because they ain't as popular as VII. I feel only VII can sustain the game model they are currently doing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
None of them ever will, but it would need to be VI.

Square is never doing something like this again. Ever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
most modern takes on Kefka suck ass

That's entirely because of the shitty improv comedian Square Enix Japan cast to voice him in Dissidia. The entire character was basically rewritten around the dumb improv bits he came up with and by extension the English voice actor has to try and do something with that idiotic performance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It sold like shit back in the SNES era and the story is too thin to do a multi-game series like FFVII Remake

The story isn't thin at all. The 'problem' with VI is that you don't have a set party for most of the game and as such doing fully voiced and mocapped cutscenes is difficult, because the game has to account for everyone you could possibly bring with you.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I think doing FFV in the vein of Dragon Quest XI would be pretty amazing.

It wouldn't be a huge undertaking (at least not like FFVII Remake), they could easily have a side team working on it for a couple years.

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Top 3 would be:

1. VI- Because it's my favorite (FFVII is my second favorite FF). Would be cool to see FFVI's world in HD 3D, esepcially memorable landmarks like the Opera House, Zozo, Vector and Narshe.

2. FFV- This game tends to get forgotten. The world is pretty cool with lots of variety of locations (LOTS).

3. IX- Running around a 3D Alexandria and Lindblum like how we will run around Midgar ing FFVIIR... THAT WOULD BE GLORIOUS!!!
I would kill for a 3d rendered
Black Waltz 3 vs Vivi airship fight

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
FFVIII please. Forget FFVI. It is perfect the way it is. I can't imagine FFVI in these visuals.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them making a lower fidelity remake of VI that would also be available on Switch 2. I don't expect it to get the full FF7 remake treatment.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
VI so hard. I'll even stand on the ledge and say VI should've been remade instead of VII

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think IX and VIII both said what they needed to say. The graphics werent so impressionistic and its much clearer to "see what they were going for". I think games that felt more held back by the tech are the ones that should get a remake.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's V. VI is highly overrated. V was way more fun. A fully fleshed out Job System would be amazing. VI has way too many filler characters that take suck anyway.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
If I had to choose, VI. It would benefit the most from getting the HD treatment.

That said, if the VII Remake turns out well, I would prefer that Square take the lessons they learned from it and apply them to new Final Fantasy titles. I hope it leads to them standardizing some mechanics rather than reinventing the wheel every game. In particular, the new combat system sounds like a really great combination of new and old and I could see it becoming the new "ATB" in that it could serve as the basis for the series for series's combat for the foreseeable future. (Assuming its good.)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
IX is my favourite but I don't think I want it remade, I just can't imagine some of the eccentric characters with voices (and they would have to be British like John Clesse as Cid)

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
None of them imo. They should focus on new games. Only FFVII is worthy because of its continuing prominence as one of the biggest and fully realized early 3D games.

That being said if I HAD to pick one I'd pick VI, since it was the first one that really blew up, and I'd love to see everything reimagined in 3D.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
None of the other ones will ever be touched to this level. Ever.

VII is the only one worth the time and money.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
VI
IV
maybe VII

or maybe just make FF XVI

actually no scratch that. DO FFVI ReMake

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
God, just picturing some scenes from VI redone in fully 3D 4K...

The opening in Narshe with the esper??

The opera house??

Phantom train??

I can't think of one scene that wouldn't translate incredibly well

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Was thinking of IX, but have to agree with other people here that IV and VI would fit well that style.
Also, V needs a remake in the style of III and IV DS.

I'd rather see Chrono Trigger redone, personally.

I would like to see a CT remake looking something like Dragon Quest XI, making it more like the original Toriyama concept art.

I'm very afraid of seeing CT redone though. The original is so good and so perfectly designed that any small change could make a big impact. The new content in the DS version is so bad compared to the original stuff and S-E latest attempts to make an spiritual sucessor to it are so off that I don't trust them with it.

Oct 25, 2017
How about Netflix make a Jim Henson puppet version of FF9 with the creators of the new Dark Crystal show. That's all I really ask.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Everyone is gonna say 6. But damn I'd love it if we got 4. Actually would love a big budget remake on console.

But Tactics. It doesn't need big flashy graphics, it just needs to exist again.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no other FF is gonna get this kind of extravagant big budget treatment

In a dream world FFVI, VIII and IX would