• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which FF should get the FFVIIR treatment?

• FFIV

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • FFV

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • FFVI

Votes: 466 57.9%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 157 19.5%
  • FFIX

Votes: 109 13.5%
  • Others (i.e. how dare you not include "put your numbered ff game here", etc)

Votes: 32 4.0%

• Total voters

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I don't want any more remakes.

I mean it looks good, but it really does feel unnecessary when the original is still good and exists. We're gonna play it, it's going to be 7/10 or 8/10 good, and we'll quickly be like 'eh, that was good' and move on. We'll wish they spend 8 years on something new.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Was thinking of IX, but have to agree with other people here that IV and VI would fit well that style.
Also, V needs a remake in the style of III and IV DS.

I would like to see a CT remake looking something like Dragon Quest XI, making it more like the original Toriyama concept art.

I'm very afraid of seeing CT redone though. The original is so good and so perfectly designed that any small change could make a big impact. The new content in the DS version is so bad compared to the original stuff and S-E latest attempts to make an spiritual sucessor to it are so off that I don't trust them with it.

The DS added content is mostly just reused assets, so while it doesn't showcase any creativity, I'm not sure if they were really aiming for anything beyond padding playtime.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DS added content is mostly just reused assets, so while it doesn't showcase any creativity, I'm not sure if they were really aiming for anything beyond padding playtime.

Ugh, they gave negative efforts into it.

Here are two random locations from the original game:

KyH1PR4.png
qSlFjFE.png

And here are two random locations from the DS added content:

qeODVVg.png
UReeric.png

The difference is just really gross.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, none. VII is unique not just in terms of legacy/popularity but also in how poorly it has aged visually.

I feel like IX would be ruined by voice acting (imagine the horrifying voice SE's vo director would choose for Quina, for example) and I would rather see VI get an update that looked more like Octopath Traveler than some modern AAA thing.

Give me XVI instead, please.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the series needs proper remakes. Not something as radical as VII's, but anything better than the bare minimum ports the series gets.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
FFI&FFII&FFV&FFVI should get the FFIII&FFIV 3D treatment and after FFVIIR it should be FFVIII or FFIX

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ugh, they gave negative efforts into it.

Here are two random locations from the original game:

KyH1PR4.png
qSlFjFE.png

And here are two random locations from the DS added content:

qeODVVg.png
UReeric.png

The difference is just really gross.

Yes and the problem is not just assets. The optional quests in the original ask you to do a bunch of different stuff in different places/time periods. They all also reuse a lot of assets but they're fun and don't fell repetitive. The DS optional quests are just a bunch of fetch quests were you go through the same path a bunch of times.

The difference in quality is so big that playing the optional content in the DS version right after playing the original one is actually a great game design lesson.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Link arms and hold FFIX comrades!! Together we will brace this FFVI storm and come out victorious!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine we ever get remakes of any of the others like this.

But, they need to get Tactics onto modern consoles/Steam.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the others have the same hype to be worth doing. BUT I hope many lessons in storytelling and game crafting are learned from re-doing a classic that carry into FFXVI.

Oct 31, 2017
Please none. I'd be fine with V and VI getting decent budget remakes but nothing even close to this. I'd much rather they spend the budget on new games. Let's not turn Square Enix into Hollywood please

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I love remakes. All of them would be great. If I had to choose though, then it would be FFVIII. Exploring Balamb Garden in 3D alone would be a dream come true.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
My heart pines for a FFVIII remake.
Imagine gunblade combat working similarly to Nero's EX mechanic from DMC4 and 5.
Imagine drawing magic and casting it in real time.
Imagine Rinoas spell-berserker mode in full HD. Ultimas and Flares all over.
Imagine Quistis.
Imagine Laguna and Irvine 3rd person shooter combat.
Imagine Battle of the Gardens as a massive spectacle.
Truly, my heart bleeds for this.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'd much rather FF5 or FF6 to get a sort of Bravely Default style treatment than FF7R style. 3D environments, full voice acting, orchestrated soundtrack, etc, but not so overblown in cinematics and over-the-top spectacle. Bravely Default looks like a late-gen PS1 game or early-gen PS2 game, and I think that sort of style could look marvelous with HD assets on modern hardware. It also makes great use of pre-rendered backgrounds, which I think is a bit of a forgotten art of the 90s. FF3 and FF4 already got this treatment, but were heavily limited by the DS hardware. Even the Steam ports look messy. Designed from the ground up for HD platforms though, I think this approach would be great.

Yeah, I really don't need to see Nomura's take on any other classics, to be honest. Maybe FF8. I especially don't want to see FF9 done like FF7R. Nomura's flair just would not suit that game at all.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Xenogears.

If not. FF6.
But if we could work on fun battle systems instead of morphing everything into Action I'd be more interested.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My heart pines for a FFVIII remake.
Imagine gunblade combat working similarly to Nero's EX mechanic from DMC4 and 5.
Imagine drawing magic and casting it in real time.
Imagine Rinoas spell-berserker mode in full HD. Ultimas and Flares all over.
Imagine Quistis.
Imagine Laguna and Irvine 3rd person shooter combat.
Imagine Battle of the Gardens as a massive spectacle.
Truly, my heart bleeds for this.
Speaking to my soul.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
FFVI
Thinking about some of the moments...I would love to see the opera house,
the sequence where celes tries to take her own life
the appearance of the floating continent and so on, with those visuals.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
FFV and FFVIII would benefit most from remakes, IMO. The first is the most overlooked of the SNES-PS1 era and could do with the publicity, while the latter is the most divisive of them and has the best chance to be seen as an improvement.

Remakes for V and VI probably should have happened already. Even Tetsuya Nomura has pointed that out. Perhaps instead of creating the Bravely Default series, Square should have followed up on their FFIII and FFIV DS remakes with FFV and FFVI remakes on the 3DS. I enjoy the Default series but I the teams behind those remakes had some real momentum behind them and it would have been great to see them continue their work.

FFVIII is probably the pre-PS2 game I feel has the most to gain from a complete rehaul with an FFVIIR style hi-def remake. It's gets so much flak and yet there's so much potential for Square to work from. It would be great for them to make a game that even the OG's critics could admire.

As for FFVI, if the game's is truly the timeless classic, which 'aged like fine wine' as it's often claimed then I have to ask why it needs a remake the most? It would be extremely difficult for it to meet (let alone exceed) OG fan expectations and I don't think current Square has it in them to do so.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
FF2 so that they can revamp the combat and scaling elements so more people experience the pretty good story for it's time.

I haven't played it in awhile but I think seeing the mortality of the characters would be a unique experience for a lot of people whom aren't used to characters dying off left and right. Plus with the popularity of Game of Thrones they could really advertise the rather dark and violent aspect of the game.

FF6 would be dope though for that opera, and Celes, among other events.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
I cast my vote to FF8. While I don't like that game i can see that game in the remake style more easier. Plus maybe they can make Squall more likable.

FF9 would have to figure out an artstyle, it would look odd with the realistic graphics combined with the character proportions.
FF6 deserves it the most as it is really beloved but has gotten no remake of any kind.
FF5 I could see more in a bravely default style remake. Bravely default is basically FF5 in a lot of ways.
FF4 has so many remakes and remasters...its good.