• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Mortal Kombat
Guilty Gear
Street Fighter
Tekken
Smash Bros
Etc.

Which franchise sets the standard for trailers that everyone should look towards?

If someone were to tell a new developer to study the template of one of these franchises in order to make a great marketing campaign that'll excite players and convey the gameplay and tone of said game, which would it be?

What game has the best game reveal trailers, best character reveal trailers, and/or best gameplay demonstration trailers?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Smash, this isn't even debatable in terms of cultural impact/marketing. You even breathe the possibility of a new Smash trailer and it's trending worldwide on every website for days.

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
Injustice - Gods Among Us

Music alone (starting at 1:09) makes it a no brainer.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Having Smash as an option is just unfair to the competition.

All I can say other than that is that ArcSys is quickly becoming one of the worst for character announcements. I thought it was Bamco's fault that the DBFZ character trailers were all terrible, but no, the Guilty Gear 2020 trailers have also been sub-par!

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Smash obviously has the best reveals. SFV is second with some of their cool surprises (like shadow dropping characters) and good gameplay trailers.

ArcSys has been pretty bad since DBFZ.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Character Reveals = Smash
Gameplay Demonstration = Street Fighter
This sounds right. Smash character reveals being phenomenons goes without saying. But, at least with SFV, those trailers tend to do a good job of showing what a character is capable of without just simply being a showcase of their special moves and supers.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Feels like a lot of fighting games do an pretty good job in showing what the new characters do in their new trailer. I probably like Tekken's one the most.

A part from ArcSys though...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Smash trailers make whole gaming internet shake so thats absolutely number 1.

They are also incredibly well done and sakurai nows how to play with the hype of that character.

Its a pity he didnt direct or write the story and cutscenes in brawl because with the work on kid icarus and the announcement trailer he clearly nows how to get the player pumped.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Killer Instinct, you fools.

Trailers themselves were great, and they started the trend of teasing the next character at the end.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Dead or Alive trailers before Itagaki left. Stylish, fast fighting action, amazing shots of the stages and hype music.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Smash without question, with Capcom not being too far behind (especially considering SFV).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Tekken and Soul edge grabbed in my teens and then it was smash during the gc era and beyond.

Nothing else really grabs me.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
As far as non-CGI trailers go to do a Character Gameplay showcase I think Killer Instinct's had some of the best. They stay away from the relying on Text & UI while also not just doing raw match footage. Having teasers at the end also helped drive discussion. I really liked that you get some character background and a feel for not just how they play but who they are

If we count CGI trailers and consider the hype of the reveal announcement, then Smash wins hands down.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this reveal trailer live (which ended up being the intro to Arcade Edition), was incredible not only because of how unexpected it was, but also how well put together it is.

Though overall, Capcom does a fantastic job of showing off what a character is about during their own trailers:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's literally no comparison to Smash. Smash trailers almost always overwhelm everything else. The Banjo & Kazooie trailer was the most talked about thing from Nintendo's E3 barring BOTW2. Ditto the Joker reveal at the VGA.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Smash trailers are good and the amount of characters means there can be a ton of them.

Street Fighter and Tekken trailers are probably more hype for me because at the end of the day I still don't actually want to play Smash.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Smash has been on fire for game announcements and character reveals for awhile now. Sakurai has been knocking it out of the park so often. That it's just expected that you'll have a great reveal when you debut in Smash.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Killer Instinct at the OG Xbox One event. An otherwise trash show but an epic as hell announcement.

Obligatory Maximilian reaction.
youtu.be

Max Reacts to Killer Instinct

Follow Me! http://www.twitter.com/maximilian_NEW Facebook Page! http://on.fb.me/Nl2kPa

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
SFV for sure.
Smash makes you go "Holy shit that character is in!", but that's it. Stuff like Terry's reveal is very welcome though and I'd like to see more of that along with gameplay.