• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a scrublord that loses consistently against people who are "good".

But that's ok. I just want a 10-20 hour experience and then done with the game. Which fighting games have single-players that are interesting enough on their own?

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
NRS seem like the undisputed king of fighting game single player offerings. The gameplay is never really my cup of tea but the quality of their story and other such modes is undeniable.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
10-20 hours, that's a stretch. Closest would be NRS games, and recently Smash's World of Light. Long single player experiences in fighting games aren't really a thing until NRS recent games. Even oldschool fighting games people like to wax nostalgia for had pretty pathetic single player modes, most just being glorified Arcade modes.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'd debate if MKX or Injustice 2 had 10 hour campaigns (they were closer to 2-4 hours in my experience), but those are your AAA-style game experiences that use fighting

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I don't know about best (I haven't played that many fighting games because I kind of suck at them) but I had fun with Injustice 2's singleplayer, including the post-'campaign' multiverse with rotating challenges.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - World Tour Mode. Easily my favourite mode in a fighter ever, a few games have done similar (Soul Calibur had a similar excellent mode, and World of Light in Smash is pretty lengthy and great fun as well) but WT is still my favourite mix of lite RPG stuff, levelling up my chosen character and SF gameplay.
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo & VF5 (360 port) also had really nice challenge/single player modes.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recent mortal kombat put other fighting game campaign to shame, except Arksys campaigns, holy crap there is no end tho that madness

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Ehrgeiz better? I played both but my memory is hazy which was which.

It had a better campaign, but Tobal 2 was the better fighter.

It pretty much built on the groundwork that Tobal 1 and 2 built for its dungeon/story mode.

Also, Tobal 2 was never released outside of the US. I'm sure there's fan translations out there by now in this age of internet, though.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I hear amazing things about Tobal 2.
I really enjoyed Rival Schools' story modes, always made it seem really tense and dynamic despite just being the usual tower of increasingly tougher fighters. Sure wish we had gotten that second disc though...

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
SSB Brawl Subspace Emissary was a lot of fun. Ultimate's World of Light was cool, but I miss those cool cut scenes.

Soul Blade was great too.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I remember Injustice 2 was being praised as having a better story than the DCEU at the time

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
S tier - VF4 EVO
A tier - Alpha 3
B tier - NRS
C tier - Everyone Else

This is not counting other Arena fighters like the Naruto games or something. Those are usually packed with a lot of content.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 was such a fun campaign that only gets a couple of points knocked down because of how bullshit the AI gets in Hard.

I read that DB Fighterz had a very awful single player offering, which is why I didn't buy the game during the last sale, for the fighting game illiterates like myself, they're the best.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Soul caibur 6 has a lot of so content. Not quite to the level of something like an NRS game but it's a little more fleshed out than your typica 3-4 hour string of fights with goofy cut scenes. The Dead or Alive 5 story is still my favorite though because it's just so ridiculous.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
World of Light from Smash Ultimate
Quest Mode from VF4
I think that there was a cool story mode in Rival School but a lot of it was gutted in the west.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Dragonball Fighterz had a long a campaign. I'm not sure i'd say its good or bad. Honestly kind of boring. But if you like DBZ, there are some good character interactions depending on the characters you bring.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution's quest mode was fun
The right answer.

NRS games have a varied story mode, sure, but beyond that you don't have much else to do.

VF4Evo had a quest mode that let you go through arcades with a variety of opponents who acted more and more like real players and had missions that encouraged you to do things that made you better at the game. It also had a ton of extra game modes and easily the best tutorial system in any FG then or since.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're looking for

NRS games have the best presentation, by far, but it's all cutscenes.
BlazBlue games have the MOST story, but it's all presented like a visual novel.
Smash Ultimate has the most gameplay, but little variety and no story (also not a traditional fighter obviously).

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Calibur is often very strong with solo content. SCV being an exception and I haven't played VI yet. I hear it's ok with solo content, but not as strong as the old games.

NRS games like MK and Injustice are fine. I'm not a fan of the actual fighting engine, but the content is good. Injustice have solid campaigns(comic prequel books are way better and highly recommended reads too!).

ARC games like Blazblue have some very, very lengthy narratives. Visual Novels really with some occasional fights and choices to make. It's ridiculous and very anime, but the content is typically absurd and you get to know the fighters lore and backgrounds real well. I actually really dig that as it feels like the universe is fleshed out, but the actual fighting is complicated and becomes a crutch if you don't care to really learn it.

DOA5 had a cute story mode. Longer than most but not super memorable. Tons of costumes to unlock(even without dlc) made playing its other modes a bit worthwhile. I find the fighting real fun. Not too complex and very approachable. Very flashy too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, gonna echo what everyone said, Injustice and the newer MK games are awesome in terms of single player content.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You're probably not into the idea of dusting off your PS2, but I think vanilla Virtua fighter 4 and Evo had the best single player. The best. Hands down.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Soulcalubur 2 is the one I had the most fun with. I liked how some fights had special conditions and that weapons had different attributes.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Injustice 2 is god tier on that front.
An exceptional 5 hour long story mode + an infinitely replayable multiverse mode.

The story mode in Dragonball FighterZ is longer but not nearly as well crafted. Still good though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from what I've played, it's Netherrealm's stuff from Mortal Kombat 9 onwards plus Smash Bros. Ultimate. Pretty much every other dedicated campaign I've played in a fighting game has been mediocre at the very best.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate is AMAZING imo

By far the best fighting singleplayer game ever

Yep way more fun and varied than any mortal kombat etc

Nov 1, 2017
Smash Ultimate is AMAZING imo

By far the best fighting singleplayer game ever

Yep way more fun and varied than any mortal kombat etc
Yeah, Smash Ultimate's World of Light is easily the most fun I've ever had with a fighting game's single player mode. Someone (maybe on here?) called it a super Event Mode and that's kinda what it is with all the variety.