• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
NRS games have the best. MK9, MKX, Injustice and Injustice 2 are all great fun.

Really hope MK11's story is good.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i wish Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution was on PS4 so more people could play it.
at least it's cheap as dirt on PS2. if you like fighting games and don't have it you really should give it a spin.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last 2 MK and Injustice games have the best sp campaigns. Nothing else comes close.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are suggesting Smash Ultimate. I'm playing through World of Light right now to unlock the roster and I'm finding it boring as Hell. The fights are boring and the spirit party management system is lame.

My suggestion to the OP is anything recently made by NRS. Injustice 1 & 2 are packed with SP content.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Does Melee count? those stadium modes are still played because they're so good and id trade the entirety of World of Light to get that back. Adventure mode was also the last time the series actually bothered to have platforming based on other Nintendo games.

I gave up on World of Light really fast and the game doesn't offer much else for single player.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonball Fighterz had a long a campaign. I'm not sure i'd say its good or bad. Honestly kind of boring. But if you like DBZ, there are some good character interactions depending on the characters you bring.

DBFZ is like a shitty version of World of light with none of the charm, the character interactions were not enough to make it good, frankly it was overpadded.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash World of Light
Killer Instinct (this was added after launch)
Soul Calibur VI
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast release)
DOA5 Last Round
Mortal Kombat X
Injustice 1 and 2

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Surprised no one has yet to mention the BlazBlue games. They have actual stories with voice acting and the whole bit. Basically visual novels between fights. And they're damn good fighters.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Special mention for guilty gear xrd sign and revelator story modes.

4 hours of cutscenes. Zero gameplay. Bizarre approach, but somehow makes sense.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personal favourite is still Weapon Master of Soul Calibur 2. You can chose whoever you want and not locked into a character you don't know how to play for the "Story" and have to beat some BS boss. There are some BS Bosses in Weapon Master, but the freedom to chose who you want to take it down helps a lot. They mix the matches up often as well with different modifiers and you can get cool custom weapons along the way as well.

I've not been a fan of the whole "Big linear cinematic stories" we've been seeing recently. None of them are well written or have any replay value at all after the first time through them.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I can tell you that the worst campaign is Dragon Ball Fighterz....
Man, what a chore it was to finish that one!

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I've not been a fan of the whole "Big linear cinematic stories" we've been seeing recently. None of them are well written or have any replay value at all after the first time through them.

I don't remember anything that happened in MKX. I barely remember anything that happened in MK9 outside of Raiden lighting Liu Kang the fuck up...for reasons I can't remember.

These modes are great for spectacle, but they are largely forgettable and fail as stories (because they aren't character driven). Fighting games would be wise to do away with these big Cinematic Universe style stories and focus on smaller, tighter, intimate and contained stories tailored to individual characters. Make them the length of a typical arcade mode, but throw in the cutscenes and special fights we get in the big cinematic stories. Short and sweet. Add some bonus stages and secret bosses for replay value and you got all the single player a fighting game needs.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Dragonball Fighterz had a long a campaign. I'm not sure i'd say its good or bad. Honestly kind of boring. But if you like DBZ, there are some good character interactions depending on the characters you bring.

I feel like it would have been way more enjoyable if you didn't have to finish it twice to unlock Android 21. At one point I was just skipping all the bla bla blah just to get it over with.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
The only fighting games I can recommend for their single player alone would be Smash and Mortal Kombat Deception. MKD had an interesting story mode and some other near modes like puzzle fighting that were pretty cool. As neat as that all is though, the gameplay itself is poor though and one of those dark age MK games.

I really don't think the newer NRS games are anything special. They have been reusing the same format since MK vs. DC and it's stale. MKX was really awful. Sure not everyone cares about plot, but you don't have to care that much to laugh at how absurd it is when something stupid happens like Kotal Kahn, the big had leader of Outlord, getting beat by some dweeb Kombat Kid. It's put together in a way that feels like no thought at all went into it. And it's FUSTRATING playing Sub Zero.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
As a fighting game aficionado, I'd say world of light was hella boring and too long. 17 hours to 100% it. There's just...not a lot there. Depends how much you like the smash engine tbh but I think Subspace was better.

NRS or even Soul 6 might be up your alley if you prefer more traditional stuff. Smash is a great game and awesome multi but you really gotta love it to make WoL more than a slog.

Going back in time VF4 Evo and Alpha 3 World Tour are the correct answers. Maybe someone with more knowledge might know if DOA had good stuff?

Blazblue has a full on anime light novel if that's your jump too

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
You're not gonna get anything better than NRS' story modes. MKX, Injustice 2, etc. The latter is easily the most visually appealing, their graphics and character models have come a looooooong way since MK9. I2's facial animations are the best in the genre by a long, long shot.

Tekken 7's isn't the greatest ever but it follows a similar format to NRS stuff and has some fucking great fanservicey fights.

I found Smash's to be a total slog.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
S tier - VF4 EVO
A tier - Alpha 3
B tier - NRS
C tier - Everyone Else

This is not counting other Arena fighters like the Naruto games or something. Those are usually packed with a lot of content.
I agree with this list, VF4:Evo is still the king. Not only was it fun it actually made me better at the game because I was motivated to complete the quest orders.

Alpha 3 world tour didn't exactly make me better at SF but it was too much fun for me to care.

Can't say I'm into story heavy single player so much, both the above modes are great despite being light on that.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
If you have/can get a GameCube and a copy of SoulCalibur II (w/ Link) then do it. I still boot it up once a month and have a blast. If you can't, then there's an HD version on PS3/X360 (I don't know if they retain Heihachi/Spawn though).

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
My votes: VF4EVO, ALPHA 3, Soul Blade/Edge, Soul Calibur. Although not as meaty as the others the trials in Street Fighter EX are a lot of fun.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got a lot of mileage out of Blazblue and the Soul Calibur games.

But NRS is really the king here. They CRAM single-player content into their games to keep offline players like me busy for months, if not years.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wish WoL had the character interactions of DBFZ.

WoL to me feels like DBFZ's story but without the charm.

That would be cool, but WoL still had a much better map system, a much better fighting gimmick, much better skill tree and modifiers and character rescuing system, DBFZ just had mindless grinds in the story mode, in my opinion.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Depends on if you prefer a cinematic experience or one with more content, or one that actually focuses on the core fighting gameplay, or one that goes in a different direction with the characters.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat Deception

Forces you to learn multiple characters and you get a shit ton of world building in the MK universe.

I want to say Smash Ultimate but I'm disappointed the characters don't interact like in the initial cutscene. Maybe we'll have to wait for a Smash Bros. movie.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That would be cool, but WoL still had a much better map system, a much better fighting gimmick, much better skill tree and modifiers and character rescuing system, DBFZ just had mindless grinds in the story mode, in my opinion.

Honestly to me all of that stuff is just mind numbingly dull.

Like DBFZ was repetitive but it had fun interactions between characters who never got to interact, all the while looking and sounding great.

Sep 7, 2018
Smash Ultimate World of Light - Best single player I've run across in any fighting game. Hella lot of content, the fights have a lot of variety, and the spirit system is a blast to tinker with!

Injustice & Injustice 2 are both a blast as well. The campaign is short, but memorable.

Edit: ARMS was fun too, in a more limited way.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought about what kind of big changes I would make to a typical 3d fighting game to make a really good single player game. Funny enough, this thought experiment pretty much results in dmc/bayo.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
I like the Guilty Gear Xrd series. I can just sit on my ass, watch the story, and never have to fight the AI.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Soulcalibur II's Weapon Master mode is amazing. There's so much to unlock in it, from characters to costumes to even special weapons and stages. The various conditions really helps spice things up. Street Fighter Alpha 3's World Tour mode is still one of the best and it's very replayable, unlike the story modes that the last couple Mortal Kombat games had, for example. One of the cool things about World Tour was that you can use your leveled up character in other modes. Tekken's ghost battle in the recent entries is great in that there's an incentive to getting the gold: buying parts and outfits for your main.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash World of Light is mediocre with some really cool moments.

NRS fighters are the king. Both Injustice games, Mk9, MKX, and soon to be MK11 no doubt.

BlazBlue is also good if you want fan fiction tier visual novels with maybe fighting sometimes like once every hour

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Blazblue series. Aside from lengthy visual novel type story modes that greatly flesh out the characters and world they also have Arcade mode (CF even has multiple arcade routes for most characters all with little bits of story), detailed character tutorial modes and score attack/rpg lite stuff. ArcSys usually puts lots of effort into having a robust singleplayer offering.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
NRS games like Injustice 1&2 by a long shot

Smash World of Light (although its a lot of finding these little cards, is kinda good because its lots of different scenarios ). The intro video is soooo hype

MvCI, although not the best by far, at least tried to make a linear theme park thing. It's not good but strangely charming and 'was an effort'
Tekken 7 tried hard to make a linear CoD theme park style thing but the story & writing is rather noobish
Dragonball fighterZ, I would rate this higher than MvCI & Tekken but it makes you fight 3 times many mooks than neccessary
Soul Calibur 6 has a lot of SP content and you can create your own characters. The personal character stories are not bad.
Guilty Gear Xrd has like a 7 hour movie with one or two fights. The rest is full of dialogue
BlazBlue 1 Visual Novel thing was interesting is worth a mention

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Mortal Kombat Deception is the best Midway/NRS singleplayer offering ever but only if you're devout enough to want the fanservice of going to every major realm and interacting with the ~60 or so relevant kharacters preceding MK9. It's swarmed with unlockables including tons of developer insight and commentary, to the point where the more modern games still feel like a step back in just how much there was to find and read about concerning every stage and the small doodads that are sprinkled in them.

If MK isn't your thing, Soul Calibur II's story mode and Injustice 2's perpetual flow of event-based content both offer a ton of stuff to do. World of Light is definitely divisive but I found it fun as well, moreso for just seeing how they framed references to hundreds of characters and games within such comparatively isolated settings and the feedback loop of trying to clear out the Spirit List.