• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Topic stolen from a discussion between two history podcast hosts, Dan Carlin and Daniele Bolleli.

But on topic, any let's say any former US president is eligible. Or even another term for the current if you think that's what you'd like. And whomever you bring back will be brought up to speed on current events and political climate as if they'd been plugged in for the last few years.

I think this is a good topic, as whomever you pick will inform your political beliefs and what you think are problems. So let's start with their answers.

Eisenhower

Dan believes the American empire is ephemeral and that we should have someone who is looking to pull back some of our global operations. In his view, Eisenhower is good because he has the unique quality of growing up in the pre-WW2, Norman Rockwell America but also loving on the post-WW2 era, and as such, he knows what type of America to bring us back to. His being a former general also helps him to get this agenda past military toes without seeming weak.
Teddy Roosevelt

Downside is that Teddy loves war, but the upside is that he pushed really hard for environmental and anti-corruption policies. Dan also points out that, if we look at an older Teddy, his outlook on war might be different, too, since he lost his sons in WW1.
I think for me--and to be clear, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable regarding presidents--I agree more with Daniele, but I'd choose someone different: Jimmy Carter. I feel that, though he was impeded a lot during his presidency, his general policy position is progressive, and I also liked some of the other things that he tried, like using a bipartisan committee to recommend Supreme Court Justice candidates, which he would them choose based on merit. It's just a shame that he was succeeded by someone who have no shit about that and didn't continue that practice.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Theodore Roosevelt for being a Trust Buster. We need to break up the oligopoly that is literally buying the laws and running the country. AND he was incredibly environmentally conscious.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Theodore Roosevelt for being a Trust Buster. We need to break up the oligopoly that is literally buying the laws and running the country. AND he was incredibly environmentally conscious.

Teddy would not be afraid to take on businesses and would be ready to undo the environmental damage. LBJ would not be afraid to reassert the social safety net and go after racists.

Obama/Biden 2020 : "We're not fixing this a third time."

My actual answer.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Lincoln so we can put to bed this idea that he would be a Republican in their current garbage state.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
My real answer would be our number one best President. Genius thinker, inventor, and lover. The $100 dollar man himself...

Ben Franklin!

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
give James Garfield a second chance. He hated Mondays so we'll finally get that three day weekend

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Lyndon B. Johnson

I'd want to say FDR but being a straight up Dixiecrat is just not separable from his legacy or his political strategy.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Because internment camps didn't exist during WW2?
giphy.gif

I'd bring back second term Obama where he absolutely realised that there is no compromise with Republicans. But instead of bringing him back to take over in 2020, I'd have him wake up in his 2008/2009 body the day after the inauguration. Democratic control over both chambers of Congress, hindsight as to what is going to happen in the next 10 years, and go. Give them hell Barry.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Obama

LBJ and FDR were more racist than Obama will ever be

Oct 25, 2017
Zombie Abe Lincoln as an attempt to reunite a divided country.
Zombie Ronald Reagan just to juxtapose the current GOP from the party of 30 years ago.
Zombie Obama from the future, so he would fight present day Obama, just to see which one would win.

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Teddy Roosevelt, obviously with more modern and just outlooks than were even considered in 1900. Gave zero fucks about corporate influence, took their money, and then flipped them off. Also, here's what he said after an assassination attempt:

"I have altogether too important things to think of to feel any concern over my own death," Roosevelt declared. "I am ahead of the game anyway. No man has had a happier life than I have led."

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

If you believe in government working for the people then FDR is the obvious choice because he was a leader with an agenda that he knew how to achieve, a willingness to try and try again even if it meant circumventing the constitution. Also, because we need a new deal, the wealth inequality, globalization and impending automation have robbed the middle and lower classes of hope, purpose and dignity. A FDR presidency would go a long way to healing our nation and improving our wealth inequality.

PS. We have only had flawed Presidents. Not a single one of them was perfect.

PPS. Eisenhower is a great shoutout as well. If for no other reason than to give the GOP a wake up call about what their principles stood for once upon a time.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Umm, all of them? Well most of them, just not shitheads/racists/psychos like Buchanan, Wilson, or Andrew Jackson. But then again, it's hard to imagine how they could be worse in a modern context with modern laws. In their time, they were horrible though.

Best choices to bring back: Obama, Clinton, JFK, LBJ, Ike, FDR.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Obama. He's got his problems but I feel like folks would hold him more accountable for the drones and border shit.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Abraham "Let's Not Punish the Confederate Leaders Too Much" Lincoln just to prove a point that's obvious to anyone sane?

Naw

He'd take one look at the Confederate monuments in this country and realize he fucked up.

I'm all about schooling those who aren't sane (AKA the entire GOP). Lincoln showing up and schooling them would be a bit like Jesus showing up and telling the church they fucked up his teachings.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Ronald Reagan because to hear people nowadays tell it, he and his policies were the complete polar opposite of what Trump is doing.

The man clearly loved the LGBT community and did so much to help black people prosper dating back to his days as Governor.

/s in case its needed.