• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which "Classic" do you think has the best pre-installed library?

• Super Nintendo (USA/EU)

Votes: 728 74.2%
  • Super Famicom (JPN)

Votes: 40 4.1%
  • Mega Drive (JPN)

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • Mega Drive (HK)

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Genesis/Mega Drive (US/EU)

Votes: 108 11.0%
  • PC-Engine (JP)

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • Turbo-Grafx/Core-Grafx (US/EU)

Votes: 39 4.0%

• Total voters

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Since the Turbo-Grafx/PC-Engine mini has had the final slate of games confirmed for the console-- I think we can safely voice our opinions on which system has to offer. This isn't a judgement of each of these particular consoles as a whole, rather what is factory-installed on each system. The fourth generation of consoles all had a very unique "flavor", so I think it is interesting to see what people's tastes are like.

Let's do a quick run down on what each console has to offer:

81dKE5hBovL._AC_.jpg

Super Nintendo Classic

• Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Secret of Mana
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • EarthBound
  • F-ZERO
  • Mega Man X
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Yoshi's Island
The SNES Classic Mini's library is only 21 pre-installed games, which is less than half of what both the Turbo-Grafx 16 and Genesis classic offer. Both the US/EU models of the system only have the NTSC-U version of each game.

I anticipate the SNES Classic to win this poll, but, outside of the inclusion of Starfox 2, it is about the safest lineup for any of the consoles listed here. US/EU only sees three third-party developers (Square-Enix, Konami and Capcom respectively) and basically the marquee titles you expect from Nintendo. There seems to be a lot of genres that are simply not represented, such as Belt-scroll/beat-em-up, Puzzle (in US/EU), STG/shmup, sports.

The Japanese line-up includes: Super Soccer (which is third-party), Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack), Ganbare Goemon (Legend of the Mystical Ninja), Super Street Fighter II and Fire Emblem-- while losing Earthbound, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Castlevania IV, Super Punch-Out!! and Kirby's Dream Course.

Personally, I feel the SNES Classic is a solid product but I wish they took more risks/were more creative with the line-up. It is missing some of the systems best games but it does have most of Nintendo's classics from the era.

61bR2geSMKL._SL1000_.jpg

Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

Here's a list that circulated here in the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game announcement thread:

DHpMtdf.png

Just like the SNES Classic before it, there are regional variations for different markets. Unlike the SNES Classic, however, is a third HK region that has different games than both the US/EU Japanese consoles. Third party support includes: GameArts, Capcom, Konami, Sunsoft, Taito, Interplay and EA in the US/EU markets.

The first thing that is worth pointing out is the large quantity of games versus the SNES Classic. Genres that were ignored in the SNES Classic lineup have better representation here too. Of all of the regional versions, the HK one is probably the stand out as it has Alien Soldier and sacrificed the god-awful Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle.

The Genesis Mini also has some never-released goodies on it too. Not only is there a port of Sega arcade Tetris, there is a (fan?) port of the original Darius. Wily Wars and Monster World IV, which have never got physical releases in the US, are also on it.

For me, I think the HK lineup is pretty clearly my favorite but all versions are very nice. I feel SEGA really capitalized on what made the Genesis special more so than Nintendo did for the SNES Classic. Given the higher amount of third party support and SEGA not being shy about paying for licensing (the freakin' Mickey Mouse games are here, Yu Yu Hakusho for Japan!), I'd say this is a better lineup than the SNES Classic.

YES WE KNOW IT IS MISSING SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES!!!!!!!!!!

Moving on...

71zT6fF2shL._SL1500_.jpg

Turbografx-16/PC-Engine

For the sake of ease, here is the list from currently active Turbografx-16 Mini thread

US:
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman '94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N' Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

There are two very interesting observations to immediately be made: 1) holy shit there are a lot of Japanese games on this thing and 2) holy shit there are a lot of CD games on this thing. Unlike the other regional variants observed before, the only difference is one game: Konami's Salamander was swapped in to replace Tokimeki Memorial in the Western markets.

As Konami is the rights holder for the whole Turbo library, both Konami and Hudson have the biggest representation of any other dev/publisher on the Turbografx-16 Mini. This doesn't shy away from what the system is defined by: arcade-style action games-- especially shooter/shmups (11!). The one thing I love about this console is that it really does a great job emulating what it felt like to own a Turbografx... Basically most of your games were imports-- especially if you owned the CD add-on/Duo. The balls they had to include this many raw Japanese titles (including Snatcher) is something else.

The wealth of amazing CD games on this is what kind of tips me to picking it overall out of all of these other retro consoles. The Sega Genesis Mini could have used a few too.

Devil's Crush, Final Soldier and Magical Chase missing from the lineup kind of stings though....

So Era, let us revive the Fourth Generation Console Wars and discuss which libraries we like most!

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the SNES for me.

Mario World, LTTP, and Super Metroid are three of the best games of all time.
Couple that with amazing games like Mega Man X, Secret of Mana, and Mario RPG, plus the never before released Star Fox 2 and its my favorite of the libraries on offer from classic consoles.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Shouldn't the Neo Geo Mini be here too since the original Neo Geo was released around this era too?

That is a hard question to answer because while the Genesis Mini has a huge amount of games, the "per game quality" of the SNES one is insane. Like my only change would be trading Kirby's Dream Course for Chrono Trigger or Turtles in Time but we know how impossible those are =P

And the "street fighter but no 6 button controller on the box" thing was a big mistake

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
In terms of sheer quality over quantity, I'll have to say SNES.

However, the Genesis and TG16 lineups are definitely great as well, and have plenty of deep cuts. Everyone wins!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I feel like the 20 (+1) game limit keeps the SNES Classic from being my favorite, since there's a ton more third party games that it could've had (Gradius III, Chrono Trigger, ActRaiser, Final Fight 3, to name a few.) The first party offerings alone kind of speak for itself though, and Star Fox 2 being included is still kinda nuts.

I think all of the Genesis/MD Mini regional variants serve as a better representation of what the system had to offer relative to the SNES Mini. I do like that they also at least got 2-3 licensed games, too; They were a big part of the 16-Bit era, and it would've been nice to see at least one on the SNES Mini.

Oct 27, 2017
The TG16/Genesis lineups are great, but the SNES wins by virtue of having the only official release of Star Fox 2, which is still nuts.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I can't decide between the MD and TG16 Mini.
Aside from Starfox 2, I've already played the SNES Classic library to death decades ago, so it really doesn't do much for me.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're all fantastic offerings, but my ranking is only due to nostalgia

SNES > Genesis > TG16 (I have almost no nostalgia for this machine)

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Kinda hard.
SNES is missing Chrono Trigger and
MD is missing Sonic 3K
For a lot of people the best games of each system ironically.
I guess HK Mega Drive wins since its the best of west/east mashed together and has double the games of the Snes.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I can't decide between the MD and TG16 Mini.
Aside from Starfox 2, I've already played the SNES Classic library to death decades ago, so it really doesn't do much for me.

This is pretty much where I am btw. Outside of Starfox 2, I owned every single SNES classic game upon release (including Earthbound). Almost all of the games are very good (I don't like Contra III or Super Castlevania IV much) though.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty much where I am btw. Outside of Starfox 2, I owned every single SNES classic game upon release (including Earthbound). Almost all of the games are very good (I don't like Contra III or Super Castlevania IV much) though.
If I was curating the SNES Classic's library, it'd probably just end up being all RPGs...and Super Metroid.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the games on the SNES Classic, but I voted the HK Mega Drive.

Aside from, of course, Starfox 2, I think all the games on SNES Classic have been rereleased and brought to more "modern" systems (although some might not be "modern" anymore). Sega definitely has done this too, with their "usuals" which seem to be in every freaking rerelease of the Sonic's Genesis Collection or whatever it's called this time 'round, but there seems to me (and I could be wrong on this) more games that haven't seen a rerelease or an option to play on modern consoles. Like Wily Wars, Assault Suit Leynos, and MUSHA (were these games ever on Virtual Console? I'm not sure...).

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Is the EU version of the Mega Drive mini confirmed to have Eternal Champions? May have to pick one up if so, was sad it was missing from the PS4 collection.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
MD Mini wins for me: every version's library is well-rounded and they've managed to drag quite a few obscurities out of the vault, and they didn't skimp on the sheer quantity of games like I was worried they might. My only issues are the same as everyone else's: the 3-button pad thing is dumb and no S3&K is painful.

SNES Mini's issues are more with what's missing than what's there--not just specific games but entire genres were completely absent. It's weird describing a system that contains Starfox 2 as "unambitious" but there you have it.

Presuming the announced TG16 Mini lineup is final, it's sort of underwhelming but not totally unexpected, Konami's mostly leaning on their own library and not putting in much effort to get any wilder picks, or to properly curate the regional lineups. There's also heavy genre bias towards shmups and what have you but that comes with the turf, I guess.

Neogeo Mini was a neat idea that they completely flubbed--the emulation's not good, the controllers suck, etc, in the end it's nothing but a very expensive desk toy. I do appreciate that they at least tried to assemble an international library that wasn't weighted so heavily in favor of fighting games but the reality is SNK's fighting games are better than damn near all the alternatives and are primarily what people wanted anyway.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNES Classic for sure.

The Genesis/Mega Drive and TurboGrafx/PC Engine Minis are really great though. Very excited for both.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Nintendo Mini has Super Metroid AND A Link to the Past AND Super Mario World AND Yoshi's Island. There's no topping that.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's super Nintendo classic

The only thing keeping it from goat tier is DKC trilogy plus Chrono Trigger

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Asian Mega Drive Mini all the way! It combines the best games of the Japanese and Western editions. Also, it features quite a few rare/obscure games I've never played before. Overall a really solid selection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
MD Mini wins for me: every version's library is well-rounded and they've managed to drag quite a few obscurities out of the vault, and they didn't skimp on the sheer quantity of games like I was worried they might. My only issues are the same as everyone else's: the 3-button pad thing is dumb and no S3&K is painful.

SNES Mini's issues are more with what's missing than what's there--not just specific games but entire genres were completely absent. It's weird describing a system that contains Starfox 2 as "unambitious" but there you have it.

Presuming the announced TG16 Mini lineup is final, it's sort of underwhelming but not totally unexpected, Konami's mostly leaning on their own library and not putting in much effort to get any wilder picks, or to properly curate the regional lineups. There's also heavy genre bias towards shmups and what have you but that comes with the turf, I guess.

The MD Mini has the best curation by far.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing less than 20 people here are qualified to compare these libraries (by having played all the games), and that's even ignoring the language barrier games for non-Japanese readers. So many SNES votes are going to be knee jerk reactions from people that have never played a PC Engine.

These are all great libraries, though. I think the Mega Drive (HK/Asia) is the strongest.

A pet peeve of mine: whenever I see "US/EU", why does Europe always get to be a whole continent listed but for North America, it's usually just the US? Canada and Mexico exist.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
SNES Classic and it's not even close. Zelda, Super Metroid, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, DKC, FF6, Megaman X, Contra, Castlevania... I mean these are all absolute masterpieces of their genre. Timeless classics.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asia Mega Drive Mini has Alien Soldier and Shining Force 2, so that

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It's hard to beat SMW, SMW2, LttP, Metroid3, DKC, SMK, Earthbound and Megaman X. All of these are probably on my desert island list.

May 5, 2018
I'm torn. Based on personal experience the SNES Classic has the most games I'm partial too (Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, F Zero, Mega Man X, Kirby Superstar, Yoshi's Island) and overall that library is a solid representation of the SNES' library. But also Asia's Mega Drive has a solid list of quality Sega Genesis titles and hidden gems. It even has games people in the West were clamoring for like Alien Soldier and Shining Force 2. Honestly hard to choose.