• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which "Classic" do you think has the best pre-installed library?

• Super Nintendo (USA/EU)

Votes: 728 74.2%
  • Super Famicom (JPN)

Votes: 40 4.1%
  • Mega Drive (JPN)

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • Mega Drive (HK)

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Genesis/Mega Drive (US/EU)

Votes: 108 11.0%
  • PC-Engine (JP)

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • Turbo-Grafx/Core-Grafx (US/EU)

Votes: 39 4.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I love my SNES Mini but I would have ditched Super Ghouls n Ghosts and the two Kirby games, and replaced them with Chrono Trigger, Demon's Crest, and Terranigma. Then I'd add Pocky & Rocky, Wild Guns, and Turtles in Time. A lean 24 games and not a single dud.

The NES Mini is a bit of a mess. Needs to be immediately rid of Donkey Kong Jr., Simon's Quest, the Mario Bros. arcade game, Ice Climber, Pac-Man, and Galaga (who actually associates the NES with Galaga or Pac-Man?). Replace them with Crystalis, DuckTales, Mega Man 3, Shatterhand, The Guardian Legend, and River City Ransom. Replace Tecmo Bowl and Super C with Tecmo Super Bowl and Contra, respectively. Now that looks a lot better.

For the Genesis, some amazing games, but some real low points as well...just commenting on the US edition here, it needs to lose Wily Wars, Ghouls n Ghosts, World of Illusion, Wonder Boy, Alex Kidd, Light Crusader, and Kid Chameleon. Replace them with Ranger X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force 2, Ristar, Revenge of Shinobi, Alien Soldier, and Sonic 3. Replace Thunder Force III with Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force. Now this thing is ready to go toe-to-toe with the SNES mini.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I love my SNES Mini but I would have ditched Super Ghouls n Ghosts and the two Kirby games, and replaced them with Chrono Trigger, Demon's Crest, and Terranigma. Then I'd add Pocky & Rocky, Wild Guns, and Turtles in Time. A lean 24 games and not a single dud.

The NES Mini is a bit of a mess. Needs to be immediately rid of Donkey Kong Jr., Simon's Quest, the Mario Bros. arcade game, Ice Climber, Pac-Man, and Galaga (who actually associates the NES with Galaga or Pac-Man?). Replace them with Crystalis, DuckTales, Mega Man 3, Shatterhand, The Guardian Legend, and River City Ransom. Replace Tecmo Bowl and Super C with Tecmo Super Bowl and Contra, respectively. Now that looks a lot better.

For the Genesis, some amazing games, but some real low points as well...just commenting on the US edition here, it needs to lose Wily Wars, Ghouls n Ghosts, World of Illusion, Wonder Boy, Alex Kidd, Light Crusader, and Kid Chameleon. Replace them with Ranger X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force 2, Ristar, Revenge of Shinobi, Alien Soldier, and Sonic 3. Replace Thunder Force III with Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force. Now this thing is ready to go toe-to-toe with the SNES mini.

Why would you drop Wonder Boy? Its a great game...

Apr 21, 2018
Replace Thunder Force III with Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force. Now this thing is ready to go toe-to-toe with the SNES mini.
Unrealistic statement. The Genesis mini doesn't need replacement to match the SNES Mini. The first was famous for schmups, BTA in the 90's the second for platformers, RPGs(both are good in almost every genre though)

The history is respected. SNES Mini has the edge on genesis for platforming, RPGs (even if the Genesis isn't ridiculous with Sonic 1, 2, Dynamite Headdy, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force, Landstalker, Story of Thor).

On the other hand, the Genesis mini brought Thunder Force 3, Fantasy Zone, Comix Zone, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage to fight... The wind. This time, that's a flawless victory.

A draw game is acceptable overall. But i'll explain soon why the Mega-drive Jap mini has the objective best lineups

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This "port" is actually horrible, though...it's so bad it's like a negative black hole of gaming.

I'm no fan of Genesis VF2 and groan every time it shows up in a collection but it's not an objectively bad game and there are tons of worse console fighting games from that era (including one that's also on the Genesis Mini...)

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Wonder Boy in Monster World and Ghouls n Ghosts are both awesome and iconic games. They were good choices.

It's also great that SEGA included Thunder Force III. Hopefully, this will make people realize that, despite the lack of spectacle, Thunder Force III is just as good as IV.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Unrealistic statement. The Genesis mini doesn't need replacement to match the SNES Mini. The first was famous for schmups, BTA in the 90's the second for platformers, RPGs(both are good in almost every genre though)

The history is respected. SNES Mini has the edge on genesis for platforming, RPGs (even if the Genesis isn't ridiculous with Sonic 1, 2, Dynamite Headdy, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force, Landstalker, Story of Thor).

On the other hand, the Genesis mini brought Thunder Force 3, Fantasy Zone, Comix Zone, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage to fight... The wind. This time, that's a flawless victory.

A draw game is acceptable overall. But i'll explain soon why the Mega-drive Jap mini has the objective best lineups

I feel you, I love the Genesis to death, believe me...I just don't think that Minis stack up (personal opinion). I would rather have had a Genesis mini that cut some of the fat and had fewer than 40 games but more quality impact.

I'm no fan of Genesis VF2 and groan every time it shows up in a collection but it's not an objectively bad game and there are tons of worse console fighting games from that era (including one that's also on the Genesis Mini...)

I actually enjoy Eternal Champions, lol.

Why would you drop Wonder Boy? Its a great game...

I like the Wonder Boy games, but not the Genesis joint...but I do understand why it's included, if only for iconic reasons. I would rather have had them include a handful of Master System games so we could get the actually good Alex Kidd and Wonder Boy jams.

Apr 21, 2018
As i explained, the weakest Megadrive (western One) match the SNES Mini but the Japanese One is far more interesting that all Snes /Super Famicom mini.

The Super Famicom mini is more balanced than the SNES with an excellent S-RPG, Fire Emblem. Unfortunately, Sega decided to seduce hard PC Engine, Super Famicom, and Saturn ex owners of Japan. Camelot/ Climax didn't come alone to compete Fire Emblem:

- Shining Force (Camelot/Climax)
- Langrisser 2 (Masaya)
- Lord Monarch (Falcom)

And the hidden gem The Hybrid Front with legendary staff:

Masahiro Noda, icon of the Japanese Sci Fi.

Jun Suemi

Kunio Aoi (Astro Boy, Zillion)

Naofumi Hataya (Sonic CD's music, Colors, Nights, Burning Rangers, Golden Axe, Space Channel)

The Japanese Megadrive Mini doesn't only close the gap with all the SNES Mini on RPGs, the console also beat them on the Versus Fighting battlefield:

Street fighter is on both consoles but... Yuyu Fucking Treasure Hakusho is finishing the fight for Sega.

That's why the Japanese Mega-drive mini is the only one to match the Mega-drive Asian mini.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I feel you, I love the Genesis to death, believe me...I just don't think that Minis stack up (personal opinion). I would rather have had a Genesis mini that cut some of the fat and had fewer than 40 games but more quality impact.

I like the Wonder Boy games, but not the Genesis joint...but I do understand why it's included, if only for iconic reasons. I would rather have had them include a handful of Master System games so we could get the actually good Alex Kidd and Wonder Boy jams.

Wonder Boy V and Monster World IV are arguably better than the SMS Wonderboy games. What a weird opinion!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Nothing about Alex Kidd was ever good.
Just because Enchanted Castle is a pile of shit doesn't make the SMS games tolerable.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
The 16-bit generation is tied with Gen 6 (PS2/GCN/Xbox) as my favorite era in video games. I adore all consoles from this cycle. Every system had a tremendous library and I have decent experience with all of them.

...and I still think Nintendo at its best during this time was lightyears beyond anyone else. If that makes me a fanboy, cool.

Well my post clearly wasn't directed at you then was it? I too think that the Snes is the best 4th gen console and Nintendo are the best developer of all time (at least 5 of my top 10 favourite games are developed by Nintendo). Doesn't negate anything I said about the more zealous sections of their fanbase- they do largely know the square root of fuck all about non-Nintendo games. All gaming company's have fanboys of course but there's a unique blend of arrogance and ignorance that is very particular to Nintendo's. You can see several examples of it in this thread alone, most notably in the sneering dismissals of the (superb) PC-Engine line up. If you really do "adore all consoles from this cycle" I would have thought you'd be more concerned with criticising that kind of attitude than criticising me for calling it out.

Apparently not.

I'm assuming he's referring to 3D rail shooters and if so, it's a fine choice. You even listed it as your #3, so it's not like Star Fox is some horrible pick.

If that was the case it would indeed be more reasonable (although Sin and Punishment and Panzer Dragoon Zwei are still both better), but it wasn't. The "shooter" genre in that survey lumped everything from Run 'N Gun to rail shooter to traditional 2D shmup under one category. And Starfox still came out on top. Despite that generation been something of a golden age for shmups and there been a veritable fuckton of such games on Arcade, Saturn and PSX all far more deserving of the title. But then most of the people who voted for Starfox have never heard of, much less played, any of those games. That's the point.

i'm curious about the list.

https://www./threads/neogaf-games-of-the-fifth-generation-awards.1111043/

I'm glad you asked actually because it's even more hilarious than I remember. Some particular highlights:

- Even most Smash fans admit that the first game is dated and the weakest in the series. Yet according to this community it's a better fighting game than Tekken 3, Virtua Fighter 2 and every single Capcom fighter released during that period, including Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Street Fighter III: Third Strike, the latter of which in particular is widely considered amongst the finest fighting games ever made.

- Likewise Mario Kart 64, again a relativrly mediocre entry in its series, is the best racing game of its gen according to GAF/Era. Better than Gran Turismo, Wipe out and Sega Rally. So is Diddy Kong Racing apparently. Meanwhile Daytona USA doesn't even make the top 10.

- Despite having a largely paltry line up of shooting games, the N64 occupies 3 spots in the top 10 (and both the top 2) for that particular genre. That's the same number as the Saturn (which has the best shooter library of its gen if not all time) and 2 more than the PSX (another fantastic console for shooters).

- Oh and apparently N64 Paper Mario is a better RPG than Suikoden II, Planetscape: Torment, Final Fantasy Tactics and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Just fucking lol.

I'm sure I could find more if I could be bothered but I think you get the point.

Just the other day here someone made a thread declaring three 2d Metroids the "best 2d trilogy in gaming". I asked what they thought of the three Gen/MD Shinobi games and they hadn't played them. If they were just praising Metroid, that would be cool, but to declare a best 2d series without having played a major Sega franchise is baffling to me.

Par for the course here unfortunately. I remember when someone started a thread asking whether the N64 or Saturn had the better library and a ton of posters freely admitted they hadn't played any Saturn games yet still voted N64 anyway lmao.

I mean its Era. "Sega was never good" is a common sentiment here :/

Must admit that one's new to me. I have seen this kind of sentiment directed towards specific Sega IPs (Sonic and Shenmue seem to be the most popular targets for the revisionists) but Sega themselves still seem to command a good reputation as a developer. If anything, it's the PC-Engine and not the Sega Mega Drive that seems to be bearing the majority of the brunt of Nintendo-fanboy ignorance in this thread.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I just prefer SEGA's exclusives (pre-third party) to Nintendo's or Konami's or whomever you can name. I voted for the Genesis (U.S.).
Same here, I honestly don't even think it's all that close. I know this is a minority opinion on here but I really think the only genres the SNES has the Genesis beat on is traditional turn based JRPGs (definitely not SRPGs) and puzzle games (love Tetris Attack).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fair fight. SNES had by far the best library of any console before the 2000s, with only PS1 being able to offer any challenge.

Apr 21, 2018

I see your point but even if we remove bad,mediocre or even good genesis games(like Vectorman, Golden Axe, Fantasy Zone), the Genesis mini can match the SNES mini with more balanced library with the classics BTA Streets of Rage 2,Comix Zone, classics Schmups Thunder Force 3, Darius (pleasant surprise), puzzle games like puyo Robotnik or Tetris.(i even removed Disney Games, and Wonder Boys games that you dont like.Even if i considere Monster Worlds excellent)

The Genesis mini gives long journey which inspired FF7(Phantasy Star 4), or brief, delightful experiences very rare on the SNES mini (Schmups, BTA, arcade games)

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
  2. Alisia Dragoon
  3. Castlevania: The New Generation
  4. Shining Force
  5. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  6. ToeJam & Earl
  7. Comix Zone
  8. Gunstar Heroes
  9. Thunder Force III
  10. Shinobi III
  11. Streets of Rage 2
  12. Earthworm Jim
  13. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
  14. Probotector
  15. Landstalker
  16. Street Fighter II®: Special Champion Edition
  17. Story of Thor
  18. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
  19. Tetris®
  20. Darius
  21. Road Rash II
  22. Dynamite Headdy
But the two other asian Mega-drive are at another Lebel(Alien Soldier, Shining Force 2, Yu Yu Hakushu, Langrisser, MUSHA etc. A paradise of ultimate classics ans hidden gems)

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
  1. Sonic the Hedgehog
  2. Alisia Dragoon
  3. Castlevania: The New Generation
  4. Shining Force
  5. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  6. ToeJam & Earl
  7. Comix Zone
  8. Gunstar Heroes
  9. Thunder Force III
  10. Shinobi III
  11. Streets of Rage 2
  12. Earthworm Jim
  13. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
  14. Probotector
  15. Landstalker
  16. Street Fighter II®: Special Champion Edition
  17. Story of Thor
  18. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
  19. Tetris®
  20. Darius
  21. Road Rash II
  22. Dynamite Headdy
But the two other asian Mega-drive are at another Lebel(Alien Soldier, Shining Force 2, Yu Yu Hakushu, Langrisser, MUSHA etc. A paradise of ultimate classics ans hidden gems)

You're right, when you trim it down like that, that's a pretty godly lean library that definitely matches the SNES mini list at the very least. Only thing I'd ditch is Earthworm Jim (just personally don't like it) in exchange for Monster World IV.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't even have SNES mini and one glance at the games list blows everything else out of the water. Such a disappointment that we keep getting garbage NES games on the Switch.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I will never forgive SEGA for continuing to absolutely royally fuck up handling the Sonic 3 & Knuckles rights situation. Because they can't reach some kind of reasonable compromise with whoever has music rights, the game is seemingly indefinitely stuck in limbo. It's the second best game on the Genesis (the first being Gunstar Heroes) and it not being on the Genesis mini saw me cancel my preorder for it.

The SNES Classic at the very least has the very best of the best of the best and nothing is missing other than DKC2 over 1 and Chrono Trigger (which I prefer the DS version of anyway).

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Genesis Mini has the best variety. SNES Classic is great too, as is NES Classic. I think the presentation and emulation quality of Genesis Classic with M2 behind it is going to knock it out of the park though.

Jun 18, 2018
The full fat PSOne classic we never got :(

Current console +
  • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
  • Colin McRae Rally
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • Driver
  • Ehrgeiz
  • Fighting Force
  • Gran Turismo
  • GTA 2
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Kagero
  • Klonoa
  • Kula World
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Medal of Honor
  • MediEvil
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mr. Driller G
  • Paca Paca Passion
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Parasite Eve
  • RayStorm
  • Ridge Racer
  • Silent Hill
  • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
  • Suikoden
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider 2
  • Tomba
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xevious 3D/G+
WWWHHHYYYYY????

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The full fat PSOne classic we never got :(

Current console +
  • Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
  • Colin McRae Rally
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • Driver
  • Ehrgeiz
  • Fighting Force
  • Gran Turismo
  • GTA 2
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Kagero
  • Klonoa
  • Kula World
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Medal of Honor
  • MediEvil
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mr. Driller G
  • Paca Paca Passion
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Parasite Eve
  • RayStorm
  • Ridge Racer
  • Silent Hill
  • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
  • Suikoden
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider 2
  • Tomba
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xevious 3D/G+
WWWHHHYYYYY????

Any version of the PSOne classic without dual shock and Ape Escape was doomed to fail.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The SNES and it's not even close. It wins by default for simply having some of the greatest games from that generation.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about Alex Kidd was ever good.
Just because Enchanted Castle is a pile of shit doesn't make the SMS games tolerable.

What's wrong with Alex Kidd in Shinobi World? It's basically a Shinobi game and the least divisive Alex Kidd game as it controls smoothly and doesn't have any janken matches. It has aged really well.

Did you play Miracle World in 1987? It was groundbreaking for its time. The platform genre has evolved in the decades since but back then it was bursting with variety of locations and vehicles. Having followed platformers since Donkey Kong and Space Panic, I was impressed by its ambition. To say nothing about it was ever good seems to lack context.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
The SNES Classic at the very least has the very best of the best of the best and nothing is missing other than DKC2 over 1 and Chrono Trigger (which I prefer the DS version of anyway).

Nothing is missing ? The console is fantastic, even with 50 games there will remain big losses...

The first example could be Seiken Densetsu 3 ! Far better than Secret of Mana which has strange hitboxes, strange pixel art. On the other hand, Seiken 3 is beautiful in every way.

I don't want to play always the same Mario world, FF6, Mario Kart Every gen:

Seiken densetsu 3
Rudora no Hihou
Bahamut Lagoon
Street Fighter Zero 2
Demon's Crest
DK2
Pinocchio
Chrono Trigger
Final Fight 3
Lost Vikings
UN Squadrons
Marvelous
Bomberman 5
Puyo Puyo
Doom
Sunset Riders
F-Zero
Punch Out
Zombie
Batman and Robin
Them Park

Completely different list but still amazing.(the "Weaker" ones being Batman, Pinocchio, but i both find them so charming) and you can still create another 21 awesome game list.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool story but a large part of the best games are not on the mini. Not even represented.

Simple question.

Give me your best BTA, Schmup, Puzzle game on the OG SNES...
Don't know what BTAs are, Schmups suck, it's weak on Puzzle games but as a kid I didn't want to play a puzzle game anyways.

Platformers and RPGs are the deal.

Apr 21, 2018
Don't know what BTAs are, Schmups suck, it's weak on Puzzle games but as a kid I didn't want to play a puzzle game anyways.

Platformers and RPGs are the deal.
BTA are simply Beatem' all.
Platformers and RPGs are "your" deal, it's a little to easy to forget all the flaws.(plus, even in RPGs, SNES has no total domination. It lacks S-RPG against Shining Force when Fire Emblem of the super Famicom is surrounded by Falcom, Camelot, Masaya and Sega's metal cerberus.)

The SNES is strong in every genre, but unfortunately, Nintendo put too much emphasys on Platformers and RPG for only 20 games. It's hard to deny many gamers bought the Snes for Street Fighter too. (Versus Fighting and BTA were very important at the time)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shooters were a major genre in the 16-bit era but there has been a lot of downplaying of its importance since then. A perfect example is that James Rolfe SNES vs Genesis video where he's not playing the AVGN character and acts like he's objectively comparing the two systems. Then he leaves out the shooter genre aside from Star Fox.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Any version of the PSOne classic without dual shock and Ape Escape was doomed to fail.
Doing my personal PSX list, i realized i don't remember any excellent BTA:

Tobal 2
Abe's Odyssey
Medievil
Street Fighter Zero 3
Blood Omen
MGS
Chrono Cross
FF7
Mickey Mania
SOTN
CTR
KOF 96
Metal Slug X
Exhumed
Valkyrie Profile
Rayman 2
Dodonpachi
Super Puzzle Fighter 2
Civilisation 2
Resident Evil 2
Policenauts

Do you have any good BTA to propose on PSX ?

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Shooters were major genre in the 16-bit era but there has been a lot of downplaying of its importance since then. A perfect example is that James Rolfe SNES vs Genesis video where he's not playing the AVGN character and acts like he's objectively comparing the two systems. Then he leaves out the shooter genre aside from Star Fox.

It's weird when anyone considers ANY of these consoles at being the sole best at every genre of that generation when they all had specific strengths and weaknesses. that's the frustrating thing about this thread. I can understand exactly how the SNES is more appealing to Nintendo fans, especially if they didn't grow up with that console and those are the only retro games they're super familiar with or if you have a tendency to favor Nintendo home console titles, but can people that make claims like "this is objectively better because it has (insert three marquee titles)" say the understand why someone would prefer the Genesis/TG-16?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
SNES Mini only has 21 games and other than Star Fox 2, plays it really safe. The Japanese MD Mini and PCE/TG16 Mini are far more adventurous with their lineups, giving us a chance to legally own a bunch of games we'd previously thought abandoned.

Apr 21, 2018
Shooters were a major genre in the 16-bit era but there has been a lot of downplaying of its importance since then. A perfect example is that James Rolfe SNES vs Genesis video where he's not playing the AVGN character and acts like he's objectively comparing the two systems. Then he leaves out the shooter genre aside from Star Fox.
I could understand his preference for the SNES but he also used extremely weird comparison between the two.

He said he was disapointed people always talk about Streets of Rage (considering the game "clunky" )but his video always streamed old Sega games like Golden Axe(89), Alien Storm(91), and right after far more recent SNES games (except final fight) like Batman Returns(93), Final Fight 2 (93), Final Fight 3(95). Why didn't he compare FF2/3 to SOR2/3 ? Without a doubt , SOR1 will feel clunky...

Same remark with the RPGs. Of course, there is more choice on the Super Famicom but why comparing a cross gen game like Phantasy Star 2 (89) to 3 Square games like FF6 (94), Chrono Trigger (95), Super Mario RPG (96).
That's unfair.

It seems he only bought the megadrive for Sonic 2 but wasn't very curious about it. :/

Apr 21, 2018
The SNES and it's not even close. It wins by default for simply having some of the greatest games from that generation.

Another One ! ;) :DJKhaled: Shadoken

It's not even close ? What about specific examples ? Snes mini should destroy the rivals in so many genres then...

Platforming:
No polemic here, Snes is winning this round(couple Nintendo/Rare). Even if the Turbo mini, Genesis Mini are not ridiculous at all with PC Kid, Sonic, Treasure and Disney games etc.

Versus Fighting:
Winner, the Neo Geo mini by finish him.
The Capcom mini and japanese megadrive mini are doing a decent job with Darkstalker, Street Fighter 2, Cyberbots and Street Fighter 2' Plus, Yuyu Hakusho from Treasure.But Neo Geo breaks arms with Fatal Fury(s), KOF(s), Samourai Shodown(s), Last Blade, Mark of the Wolves. Snes is disapointing here with only 1 game, SF2 Turbo or SSF2 in Japan.

Run and Gun:
Winner, the Asian Megadrive mini.
Contra 3 (snes) resists quite well against the more recent and impressive Contra HC of the Megadrive. Unfortunately for Nintendo, Treasure chose the Sega hardware for 2 others legendary games, Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier.

Beat them up:
Winner Capcom Mini.
Sega, SNK did presented great games like Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, Sengoku 3, Robo Army while Capcom dominates with AVP, Armored Warriors and many others. The Snes mini has litteraly no BTA. It's the loser of this round and "it's not even close".

Action:
Winner, the Asian Megadrive mini.
The Capcom Mini has Ghouls'n Ghosts/Strider, the Snes Ghouls'n Ghosts/Castlevania 4 and the Turbo Castlevania Rondo of Blood/Ghouls'n Ghosts.
The Megadrive has this trinity of series + Shinobi + hybrid gems like Alisia Dragoon.

Schmups:
Winner, the PC Engine mini.
Even if Capcom, SNK, Sega have excellent games like Progear,Eco Fighter, Last Resort, Blazing Stars,Musha, Thunder Force 3, Darius, the Turbo dropped the H-Bomb with Lords of Thunder, Gunhed, Salamander, Gradius, Darius, Aldynes, R-Type.

A-RPG:
DRAW. YS, Neutopia, Dungeon Explorer, Zelda 3, Secret of Mana, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Monster World IV, Rent a Hero. All the 3 consoles have fantastic games.

RPG:
Winner, the Snes Mini.
The trio Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound, Mario RPG beats Sega's legendary Phantasy Star 4 and Turbo's RPGs.

Strategy RPG:
Winner, the Japanese Megadrive mini.
The excellent Fire Emblem of the super famicom mini is surrounded by the 4 fantastics : Shining Force (Camelot), Lord Monarch (Falcom), Langrisser 2 (Masaya), The Hybrid Front (Sega).

Puzzle Game:
Winner, the Megadrive Mini. With several titles like Tetris, Puyo, Columns, this console beats the lonely Puzzle Fighter 2 on Capcom or Panel de Pon on Super Famicom.

Melting Pot:
I didn't find obvious comparisons for many games especially sport games(is it useful to compare Catch vs Boxing, Karting vs Moto Brawl, racers vs futuristic racers, Graphic adventure game vs simulation ?) Keep in mind the Turbo Mini has a CD Kojima game, Bomberman, the Snes Mario Kart, and the genesis a load of hybrid action/platformer/adventure/shooters hard to labellize. If you have any suggestions of Versus, don't hesitate.

Overall, that was a fantastic generation full of masterpieces from each console makers.
If you're looking for long, solid, platformers, classical RPGs, the Snes mini is for you.(if you also like S-RPG, take the japanese one with Fire Emblem).
You don't have time to play at night, the Neogeo, Capcom mini are the perfect choice for impressive, delightful, fun retro experiences. (choose Capcom for BTA, SNK for Versus fighting but both have fine Shmups to enjoy for short sessions)
If you love Kojima, Falcom, Hudson and schmups, the PC engine mini is the obvious choice( due to shmups, RPGs, the console allows long and short sessions)
If you like variety, the Asian(s)megadrive mini is a fine decision (Shmups, Action RPG, S-RPG, BTA, Puzzle, Quizz, Simulations, Mecha games, Disney, Sport, Platformers)

Personal scores:

Capcom Mini: 6/10 Decent
Small and very unbalanced library with weird choices but Alien VS fucking Predators !!!

Neogeo Mini: 6,5/10 Pretty decent
Very unbalanced library but stellar Fighters.

Snes Mini/Super Famicom Mini: 7 -/ 7+ Good
Small, unbalanced library. The finest RPG and platformers.

PC Engine mini 7+ Pretty good
Huge library, good variety but some mediocres games. Kojima, Bomberman, CD games. Please give it a chance.

Genesis/MD(Asia)/MD(jap) 7/8/8+(if you speak japanese) Very good
The genesis mini is a gold mine covered by dog's shits.(inferior to the Turbo and super famicom mini)The asian MD has more masterpieces like MUSHA, 6 buttons controller and almost no garbage. The Japanese MD has the best RPG (among sega mini)and fix the only flaw of the asian version with Yuyu Hakusho.
You'll find almost every genres.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Giant Enemy Crab Why do you even bother. You didn't really expect to have an objective discussion on Era did you ? Its a popularity poll and nothing more.
If i can contribute to promoting underrated consoles like the PC Engine, it doesn't bother me at all :)

Lords of Thunder/T's Musicale
Art: Masamune Shirow

Snatcher by Hideo Kojima (give it a shot if you like Blade Runner )

Castlevania Rondo of Blood

Last Blade 2 neo geo (a pixel art master piece)

Last Resort,neogeo (for fans of Akira)

The Hybrid Front, Mega-drive.(by Icons of Japanese Sci fi)