• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game has better odds of launching in 2020?

• Black Ops 5

Votes: 120 58.0%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 87 42.0%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
These are games that obviously their publisher does not want to delay at all. These are the major holiday releases for Activision and Microsoft and Microsoft has been hyping up Halo Infinite as the main launch title for Xbox Series X since e3 2019. However... it's looking not great for either. To summarize for both.

Black Ops 5: Started development late 2018/early 2019 after Sledgehammer Games was fired as a lead Call of Duty developer and thus will have a much shorter dev cycle than other games in the franchise. Probably aiming to release on PS5 and Xbox Series X (which Treyarch has never worked on) and might use the Modern Warfare 2019 engine (which I don't believe Treyarch has ever used before).

Halo Infinite: Been in development since 2015, but 343 lost top people pretty recently and there have been some murmurs of things not going that well. It's critical to get the quality of this game right as the series has been on a decline so Microsoft may not want to launch it in a heavily rushed state.

Now these games were already looking shaky before COVID-19 probably pushed the development of games back a month or two due to working from home. Which is more likely to hit this year?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I still think both will come out this "holiday season", especially since the launch of the XBOX Series X is irrelevant to Halo Infinite, since any XBOX One copy will be able to be played on the XBOX Series X the moment it launches.

However, if I had to pick one, it would be whatever Call Of Duty game we get this year. Activision sees this virus and laughs at it and demands their overworked and underpaid developers to get back to work, as Call Of Duty cannot miss a year, otherwise the monies go down!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think Halo Infinite is real

I'd love to be proven wrong though

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Black ops, both have significant dev problems. But acti has never delayed a cod game before

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Activision would rather push out a trash BO5 and maaaaybe fix it later than delay it because it is dependent on the yearly COD. Microsoft could afford to launch Halo Infinite piecemeal if necessary or just delay it outright.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Activision is a slave to shareholders. They never miss a year with COD. Black Ops 4 shipped without a campaign. The only reason they'd miss it is if the pandemic took far too many key devs away or their supply chain was heavily disrupted.

Halo Infinite is also likely to come out this year, with the pandemic being the main reason for a possible delay as well. I'd guess that if things got bad enough for Microsoft to delay the Series X to next year, they'd delay Halo as well.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I mean we all know Call of Duty doesn't really know what skipping a year means so its probably that but if Activision was smart they'd release MW2 remastered with multiplayer and continue support for MW/Warzone for this year instead and give the other teams more time on their games.

I don't think Halo will miss but its just more likely and a delay would be more beneficial to Microsoft then Activision because Activision will just sell millions no matter what then delete it with a new game a year later, Halo cant do that and it would affect their console platform.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Black Ops might be rough, but at worst they will ship another multiplayer-only package and call it a day. Easier said than done, obviously, but I am 90% certain Activision will ship a new COD this year.

Halo... personally, it's hard for me to separate pragmatism from optimism, but I think they'd rather delay Infinite and get it right than ship another subpar entry. The series will not recover if it fails.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Black Ops 5 (or whatever is called). If Activision doesn't release it they have no big CoD release for the year, shareholders would go insane.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops 5.
Activision will crunch the fuck out of the devs to make up any lost time, but 343 has said that they want to avoid crunch for Infinite.
I hope that WFH doesn't hurt productivity too much at 343 and we get Infinite this year though.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lmao people are voting for a game that hasn't even been announced yet over a game that has already been announced and a release date. Never change.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
There's still been no real evidence that there are any issues at 343. Besides rumors based on rumors based on things. Could be true. The bigger issue is that Seattle was hit hard by the virus and many studios were thrown off their game (not just 343, since I imagine there are plenty of contractors involved too). Hardware might be on track, but software is definitely impacted. SO the question is: how valuable is Halo to Xbox as a launch title vs not a launch title. I don't think there's any reason Halo MUST launch with Series X.

But all that said, I would still be surprised if they didn't make this year. I can't vote for the unannounced game.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Literally both will and i'll be surprised if i'm wrong
Of the two though it's halo I guess since it's a for sure launch alongside the console

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
a CoD-less year would be devastating to activision's balance sheet. but way this year is playing out it's just was well i suppose

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
.... and there have been some murmurs of things not going that well. It's critical to get the quality of this game right as the series has been on a decline so Microsoft may not want to launch it in a heavily rushed state.

I need a link to these murmurs.

Also if it has been in development since 2015, how is this game rushed?

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, ItWasMeantToBe19 can you please provide a link because this is the first I've heard of such rumours.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 page is up on all EU Playstation websites, "We're not quite ready to fully unveil the next generation of PlayStation"

I have heard from multiple people that Halo Infinite has had a long and rocky development cycle. (I broke the news that their CD left.) Of course, all of 343's Halo games had long and rocky development cycles.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 page is up on all EU Playstation websites, "We're not quite ready to fully unveil the next generation of PlayStation"

I'll be curious to see if Halo actually makes it. On one hand console launch games can't get delayed. On the other hand, games that lose their creative directors midway through development aren't exactly going through the most stable productions.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I think if Series X gets delayed, Halo will also get delayed. I don't think we get one without the other.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Both of those games are going to release this year.

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Activision isn't going to upset the stockholders, a COD game will release, simple as that. Halo is meaningless to MS in the grand scheme of things by comparison

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is tied to XSX release.

But I think XSX will launch this year, so it's definitely coming out.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

I have heard from multiple people that Halo Infinite has had a long and rocky development cycle. (I broke the news that their CD left.) Of course, all of 343's Halo games had long and rocky development cycles.

www.resetera.com

I'll be curious to see if Halo actually makes it. On one hand console launch games can't get delayed. On the other hand, games that lose their creative directors midway through development aren't exactly going through the most stable productions.
The actual development lead didn't leave, the creative director wasn't the one in charge.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The question is, if Halo is ready in 2020, but COVID-19 delays the XSX to 2021, will they release Halo on the current-gen consoles in 2020?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite is releasing day and date with the Series X. They won't miss that.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
With the Halo Infinite radio silence don't forget that Microsoft did the exact same thing with Gears 5. E3 cinematic trailer, a year of radio silence and then the E3 of the release year was the start of the marketing cycle proper.
I still think Halo Infinite has a good chance of being delayed, but more because of COVID-19.

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Fair enough, although they seem like fairly general comments and he doesn't go into specifics. I mean, you could also say that there are rumours of things not going well at Naughty Dog and TLoU2 possibly suffering, but this seems to happen to them every time and their games always turn out superb.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Doesn't Halo infinite have a half billion dollar budget or was that bullshit? If so MS will want it out to make money back on project asap

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Halo is announced and has a release window alongside a new console

Black Ops doesn't technically exist and Modern Warfare is doing incredibly well. They could release more content for that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If Halo got delayed, it'll be because the console itself got delayed. There's no chance they let their single biggest launch title, and what will probably be one of the focal points of their marketing in the run-up to launch, slip that date.

The game will have been in development for five years.