• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which matters most?

• Star Wars

Votes: 370 52.7%
  • Marvel

Votes: 332 47.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
The two most important nerd franchises in nerddom. Which one matters the most to you? I imagine if you're young Marvel means the most and if you're old it's Star Wars, but you tell me.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
MCU. And I am old. Starwars has allot of lows with the prequels. Mcu lowest is Darkworld (a fine popcorn flick), and it still beats the prequels.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Star Wars for me, although VIII definitely dealt a blow to my enthusiasm.

The MCU movies are fine, and I did read quite a few Marvel comics when I was young, but for whatever reason and I can only see all of the characters as the actors that play them, not as the characters I remember from the comic books.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Star Wars, although I'm currently enjoying the MCU more and am more excited about EndGame than I am Episode IX.

I hated The Last Jedi and it has killed a lot of the excitement I had for the series. Despite that though the original trilogy will always be my greatest of all time and it will take something special to stop ESB from being my favourite movie.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars will forever be infinitely more interesting than super hero movies. It's the first mega franchise of its kind. So much history and intrigue to the behind the scenes.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Star Wars has a place in my heart but Marvel is something almost my entire family participates in watching and reading. My dad grew up with comics and so do we.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was born in 82 so I didn't really get into the hype since 99 when Episode 1 came our.

I've seen every MCU film in theaters, have them all on Blu ray or 4K. I have about 120 Hot Toys 95% of which are MCU figures and I'm so unbelievably hypes for endgame.

I've seen all Star wars films in theaters but MCU all the way by a million miles.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Right now? Marvel.

Star Wars was instrumental in gripping my interest and exposing to me to creating and storytelling, and I owe so much of the path I went on for my career because I saw those movies when I was so young and it opened up my imagination. I played the games, I read the books... it dominated my childhood.

But I was also reading Marvel comics and watching the cartoons at that age, stuff I never thought I would see on-screen. I learned to draw because of superheroes. The X-Men mattered so much to me when I was young. Now, I'm seeing it all unfold in this complex tapestry of interconnected stories, seeing the world get invested in characters I grew up with in the most ambitious soap opera that has ever happened, with no guarantee it will ever happen like this again. Hell, it's been a centerpiece of my career since 2012.

Meanwhile, Star Wars is kinda just selling alot of the same ideas and stories, while clutching to the nostalgic beats and iconography from 40+ years ago, and when it tries to reach out and do something else, the fans react like someone committed a war crime against their childhood. This isn't even to get into the massive disappointment of the prequels. Not to say good work hasn't been done in this space (Rebels and Clone Wars had some incredible moments and well-earned story beats), but I'm good to enjoy the movie and detach vs. continue engaging with the toxicity of the fandom. I still have the classic posters of the original trilogy hung on our wall, I got a bunch of the Disney Infinity figures because they looked so damn cool, and every once in a while, I shed a single tear for Lucasarts and my memory of TIE Fighter and the Dark Forces games.

I like the new movies just fucking fine. I think TFA was a necessary back-to-basics movie, I thought Rogue One was a sloppy movie that had a fantastic (if unearned) finale, and TLJ has some of the most fascinating statements about the franchise in general, even with frustratingly uneven elements elsewhere. Hell, I even think Solo had moments. But again... I am just so fucking sick of the people crying bloody murder at the sheer mention of Rian Johnson or JJ or Kathleen or George Lucas. I'm just fucking sick of it. Maybe I just feel too empathetic for the creators about it because I can't imagine the poison thrown at you every second of the fucking day by choosing to work on Star Wars.

Last edited:

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The Original Star Wars Trilogy holds a special place in my heart but the Expanded Universe and Prequel Trilogy was not my cup of tea. I enjoyed some of the Disney-era movies and love some of the characters but it's been very hit-and-miss for me.

While I've only enjoyed one or two of the MCU movies to the extent I did the Original Star Wars movies it has been more consistent and nothing has been as soul-crushingly shite as the Prequels or Canto Bight so far. I was never the biggest comic fan but the MCU has made me appreciate and seek out more info on Marvels line-up of characters and comics.

Gotta be MCU overall.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I was 13 when RoTS came out in 2005. Thanks to my dad, I grew up with the OT and loved everything Star Wars.

Being 16 when Iron Man released, I think the MCU overall has been a huge part of my life and I love most of the films.

That said - I still have to say Star Wars, despite the sequels. I can't stand TLJ and it ruined any excitement I have for Star Wars moving forward.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Star Wars overall but MCU recently

Would have been Star Trek if they'd stopped oversaturating the market with show announcement after show announcement. thank g*d the films got cancelled at least

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars, not even close.

My whole love for the franchise depends on IX though currently ...

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leaning towards Star Wars. But a lot of the fandom online and especially here make me embarrassed to call myself a fan. Same goes for the MCU fandom.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm old, and it's Marvel. I was reading comic books before Star Wars existed. Maybe you didn't consider people that old.

Oct 26, 2017
MCU, at least until Endgame is finished.

Star Wars I'll always enjoy the films but it's clear they don't have a definite plan going forward.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars. I grew up watching the OT a lot, played all the games(was pretty much obsessed with KOTOR for years), read the novels, Loved Clone Wars. Prequels suck and I don't really like the sequels but I still have lots of old Star Wars stuff I go back to.

I was a DC kid and loved the DCAU and collected the comics. Only Marvel characters I really like are Spidey, Blade and the X-Men so I just find it hard to get into MCU flicks. I just don't give a shit about Iron Man, Captain America and the rest.

May 10, 2018
MCU and not even close.

Born in the early 90's so I was aware of Star Wars with the prequels but always thought it was wack.

Never saw the original trilogy and don't have much of a desire to change that. Gave the franchise a chance with Force Awakens and even Rogue One. Decided that Star Wars wasn't for me and left it at that.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Marvel

As a kid loved the Spiderman movies, the cartoons, the video games. I was so much into the X-Men cartoons too.

I was introduced to star wars very late like 2005 late when Episode 3 came out,. Kid me always thought it was kinda lame that they all wore bathroom robes. I thought Yoda / Darth Vader at least was cool looking. Anyway I didn't watch any star wars movies until maybe 2012 where I watched all of em back to back so I got a sense of appreciation for them.

The newer ones are alright..

So yeah marvel :3 such a good time to be a marvel Stan now

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I don't care about the MCU at all.

I'd rather sit down and watch Batman & Robin 3 times in a row compared to being forced to watch 5 minutes of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
MCU, I've seen all of the SW movies but I'm honestly not a fan, whereas I've loved pretty much every movie in the MCU.

Honestly though with Star Wars it's always felt like a "you had to be there" thing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
MCU. I like Star Wars but I'm not invested in the characters of SW like I am with the MCU. Plus the MCU was the franchise of my teen/young adult years.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars, I don't watch the newer movies but I do have some nostalgia for the original trilogy. Couldn't care less about the MCU.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel. I didn't really get into or care for Star Wars until TFA and I guess it piqued my interest because of Finn

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars,
only Iron Man and Avengers 1 felt overly special personally.

Even awful Star Wars feels incredibly special,
heck Clone Wars and Rebels feel way more personal and special than the MCU.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MCU.

Despite being old enough to be young during the tail end of the original Star Wars trilogy, it's always been Marvel. It still blows my mind that these characters and settings that people used to try to clown me for loving in my youth is the most mainstream of mainstream properties as an adult. I never gave a shit what people thought but damn if it doesn't feel like validation now.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Star Wars.

It instills a hope and whimsy in me that I couldn't live without. It's also something I share with my sisters, so it's very special to our relationship.

Going to Celebration last week was perhaps the greatest experience of my life. Pure joy.

Edit: Honestly shocked at how close this is given Endgame is just around the corner and the current toxicity in the SW fandom.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in the 90's and although I've watched every Starwars film, Marvel films is still my favorite out of the two.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Marvel. I'm a 90s kid but I never grew up with Star Wars, so I didn't develop any affection for the franchise. It'd be interesting to see the average age of both fandoms.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
MCU by a mile.
SW was never as complex as the comics so I always liked the comic sagas better. When they went to the movies it just made alot of that stuff visual and awesome. Plus SW kept getting worse while the MCU keeps getting better

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
While I am a fan of both neither really matter to me. If both were to end next year my life would go on. That goes for any franchise.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's definitely Star Wars for me, although VIII definitely dealt a blow to my enthusiasm.

I'm not picking on you particularly; I have this same question for everyone who says things like this: How is it possible for you to live through the disaster of the prequels and yet find The Last Jedi to be the movie to kill your enthusiasm? It's so strange to me. I feel like people who disliked it ought to be numb to that experience by now.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel having far less lemons than Star Wars. I enjoy any Marvel movie upon rewatch. Even that one you hate most. Can't say the same about the Prequels, and I still have only watched TLJ just once in theaters. I don't hate TLJ and rant about it on ERA, but it didn't really grab me like TFA, which I've watched countless times.