• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which matters most?

• Star Wars

Votes: 370 52.7%
  • Marvel

Votes: 332 47.3%

• Total voters

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is incredibly neck and neck.

Having said that, I think Marvel will win in the end. It's the in thing at the moment, while TLJ seems to pissed on several people's kids.

Last edited:

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars.. MCU just feels like a pop corn flick movie which entertain but i dont really care about the whole character. It just shallow.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
It was Star Wars since I grew up on it.... but it's dead to me now.

So Marvel.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
MCU by a country mile.

I am in my mid 30s, so "my" Star Wars movies were about Hayden Christiansen. Between those and TLJ, the films are just too inconsistent to really love. I do find the comics & games & shows like TCW quite good, but not emotional. It also has managed to feel so small, despite being a whole universe.

However, the MCU has taken beloved characters and retold stories I never thought could be possible outside of comics- let alone at such a huge scale. Now the big push for diversity only solidifies it as I raise a daughter who will have her own heroes as I did as a kid.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Star wars. I'm old. But tlj really ruined the franchise for me. Still means more to me than mcu though. And I really like the mcu

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The MCU, I think. I've loved Star Wars ever since seeing The Phantom Menace in theaters as a kid, but I've grown much more attached to Marvel as I've gotten older.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Marvel by a mile at this point

I really only have fondness for the original Star Wars trilogy, and that's three movies out of eight (if you're only counting the core episodes)

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
MCU. I've spend more time with their movies at the point. And I'd say....they're better than Star Wars now.

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never cared for Star Wars. Saw a new Hope in my late teens and never bothered to finish the original trilogy.

Saw most of the MCU movies but not a super fan. Will probably watch the new avengers in a month or so if it's still showing

Oct 28, 2017
As far as the characters go, there is simply no comparison between the two franchises, in my opinion. Star Wars by a mile with the OT alone.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely Star Wars. I don't have a strong investment in the MCU, although I do like the movies a whole lot. But Star Wars is on another level. It's one of those marrow-deep formative influences that helped shape my taste, interests, and creative ambitions.

I'm not one of those people who can tolerate weekly viewings of Star Wars films, but there's something irresistible and compelling about the iconography, the characters, the whole tone and style of the original trilogy.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
the opening scroll of a Star Wars movie gives you a certain feeling that almost no other big tent franchise does

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
MCU easily. I grew up with the prequel trilogy, so I don't have an enormous affinity towards Star Wars. I enjoy the franchise, but feel a much stronger connection towards Marvel, and comicbook movies in-general.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars for sure

Tho the conversation gets a bit murkier if you throw in stuff like Raimi Spidermans, Blade and some of the old xmen stuff into the Marvel umbrella. The mcu itself is super hard for me to be invested in. It doesn't help that I thought phase 1 was basura aside from iron man. They've gotten a lot better but the bad start makes me care little for this epic ending to their story.

But even then star wars (saga, fuck the spinoffs) gets me so hype in theaters everytime. All 8 movies (well I never saw the OT in theaters but grew up on the VHS). Despite how dumb the prequels got the glorious William's soundtracks did the lifting for it too.

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel is growing on me, but Star Wars is a lot cooler. More memorable music and visuals and stories. Marvel does have a lot of strong characters though, far more than Star Wars, though I don't think the raw number matters a whole lot.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I've never really cared for Star Wars, but there's a few Marvel movies that hit me right in the feels. Particularly the Guardians movies.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MCU hands down, star wars is just boring, suffers from diversity problems and just lacks any depth to it.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel.

Both Marvel and Star Wars is something I've been a fan of since a kid, but Star Wars arguably had a bigger impact as a whole franchise, especially since it had movies that made it come to life in a larger-than-life way. Marvel was something where I was mainly a fan of Spider-Man and X-Men and only had a limited exposure to some of the wider parts of the Marvel Universe.

That being said, the MCU has become something so much more than Star Wars and will probably ever be to me. The care for the characters resonates more with me, the fresh approaches it's brought to filmmaking has become something that has awed me as much as the original Star Wars trilogy and has probably done even greater things, and they've just build a foundation for characters and stories going forward that only seems like it will get more exciting and new rather than struggling with how much it needs to remain the same while trying to do something even a little new, like Star Wars. There are so many themes and characters that manage to resonate with me in some pretty profound ways in the MCU as an adult, where Star Wars seems to have resonated much more with me as a kid than it does now, outside of the nostalgia I have for the OT and a handful of moments across the PT, ST, and various Star Wars media. That's not to say that Star Wars doesn't resonate with me as a franchise since The Clone Wars and Rogue One was the kind of content that reminded me of why I fell in love with Star Wars in the first place, but a lot of it I doesn't quite give me the same feeling.

On top of that, potentially one of the biggest reasons the MCU just personally feels like something I enjoy being a part of is that the fan community isn't as bad as the Star Wars fandom has become over the last couple decades. The Star Wars community at large may not be all terrible, but it's clear to me that there is not just a lot of division just between what people like, but real toxic ways about how they talk about it all and it's been that way since before TLJ. People constantly attack others for their opinions and there is so much gatekeeping. Hell, even though it's before my time, it seems like those attitudes existed for RotJ having the Ewoks save the galaxy or the spin-ff Ewoks movies being aimed at kids (which I was at the time they came out and enjoyed). Comic fandom may have it's own issues with geek/nerd entitlement gone crazy, but I think the MCU fandom has generally been positive and accepting and embraces most all of the different approaches, so even if the wider audience and parts of the fandom may like some movies and not others, the collective celebration of everything and the narrative being so inclusive so that every part of it matters (and is generally quality) I think it makes attitude among that fans that are just much more open to the new on the whole. It may also create less a possessive attitude since it's not just this parent/child relationship of a creator like Lucas handing down dogmatic text over time, but in the MCU there is a collaborative spirit in the filmmaking and breaks down some of the hierarchies that usually tend to be inherent in fiction just by their nature. Directors aren't put on such a pedestal, even stars like RDJ or execs like Kevin Feige approach their role in the bigger machine with a lot of humbleness. The characters themselves also have flaws which are highlighted. I think this all makes it more approachable from the top to the bottom. Even the way they adapt stories and characters from the comics is to not be strictly beholden to every detail as if it were sacred and to not be afraid to make changes when it makes sense, while also having an immense respect for the source material for what it accomplishes, it breaks that hierarchy and the power dynamics. This may not sum up all the difference in the fanbases and what they completely embody, but I think it gets to the heart of why they feel different to me right now, and also why I think the Marvel movies resonate with people all over the world, not just more than Star Wars, but more than almost any other franchise.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars hold very little nostalgic value to me, so it's easily MCU simply by merit of being far more interesting

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Despite decades of mistreatment, it's still Star Wars. Nothing in the mcu could compare to

the feeling I got when I saw this, and heard the music that accompanied it.
1*TWmd0IBIfmpkU3BPW_shMQ.png

And it still gets me, even today.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I think it's 'Wars for me, partly because it's been around my entire life. I was an adult when Cap'n A: The First Avenger came out.

Normally, I'd chalk this up to age, and that may be true, but I bet there's a bell curve there, too, because all of my family members 10 or younger are also more into 'Wars than MCU, partly because they weren't allowed to watch a lot of them.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Neither are personal or special to me but I enjoy Marvel movies more. The 3 original Star Wars movies are great and timeless but the new ones are just OK.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not picking on you particularly; I have this same question for everyone who says things like this: How is it possible for you to live through the disaster of the prequels and yet find The Last Jedi to be the movie to kill your enthusiasm? It's so strange to me. I feel like people who disliked it ought to be numb to that experience by now.

It might not be logical, but I found it easy to treat the prequels as kind of a superfluous "bonus" as they just filled in details of what happened before the main films that I actually cared about. They were mostly bad, but the I could more easily dismiss their poor quality. The same can't be said about direct sequels to the original trilogy, which were meant to continue the story into the future.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Star wars. I'm old. But tlj really ruined the franchise for me. Still means more to me than mcu though. And I really like the mcu

hey i'm older too, 35 this year.

how did TLJ ruin the fuckin' franchise for you? did you not see the prequels? do you really find The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to be better movies?

It might not be logical, but I found it easy to treat the prequels as kind of a superfluous "bonus" as they just filled in details of what happened before the main films that I actually care about. They were bad, but the I could more easily dismiss their quality. The same can't be said about sequels to those same films that were meant to carry on the store into the future.

Never will I understand this line of reasoning. Can you enjoy Spider-Man 2 even though 3 sucks ass? The Dark Knight in spite of rises? The Burton Batman movies even though their part of the same series as Forever and Batman & Robin? I guess you were right when you self-described it as not logical lol

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Star Wars is the only one I have a vested interest in emotionally. I enjoy the MCU but I don't feel anything for one character. There was never enough real development of the characters for me to matter.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never will I understand this line of reasoning. Can you enjoy Spider-Man 2 even though 3 sucks ass? The Dark Knight in spite of rises? The Burton Batman movies even though their part of the same series as Forever and Batman & Robin? I guess you were right when you self-described it as not logical lol

Maybe you misunderstood my comment. I don't enjoy the original trilogy any less because of my overall disappointment in TLJ and the direction it took. I didn't enjoy the trilogy less because of the prequels, either. It's just my enthusiasm, or excitement for what is yet to come, was dramatically reduced after watching TLJ compared to, say, before TFA was released.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Maybe you misunderstood my comment. I don't enjoy the original trilogy any less because of my overall disappointment in TLJ and the direction it took. I didn't enjoy the trilogy less because of the prequels, either. It's just my enthusiasm, or excitement for what is yet to come, was dramatically reduced after watching TLJ compared to, say, before TFA was released.

Oh ok, I can see that. Sorry for the misundstanding.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Star Wars hands down. I enjoy the MCU a lot, but it's not remotely the same. I watched the OT basically weekly growing up.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars. I grew up on it. We couldn't even dream of something like the MCU. We had Superman and Batman. That's it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
hey i'm older too, 35 this year.

how did TLJ ruin the fuckin' franchise for you? did you not see the prequels? do you really find The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to be better movies?
Lol, I really don't know. I did not enjoy the prequels but they were harmless I guess. I never really cared about all the minutia of Star wars and to be a prequel was pointless. I didn't really care how anakin became Darth Vader. But tlj actively fucked with the og sw characters. Which I was not cool with.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Star Wars has the higher peaks and the nostalgia bump even though I am too young to have seen the OG trilogy in theatres. MCU is just a bunch of fun action comedies for me, and I am ok with that, they are great at what they do.

Jurassic Park is my childhood life changing movie experience. Shame about the sequels. Lost World is a pretty solid 8/10 though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars by a long shot.

I'm LTTP to Captain Marvel, loved it way more than Black Panther which caused me superhero film burnout, but even with Captain Marvell the plot twists were fairly expected and there's always the jokey banter than I find to be needlessly formulaic. MCU are like well polished mass produced products. Star wars films feel more like hand crafted pieces of art.

Deleted member 4292

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MCU. I care very little about star wars. Last star wars movie I saw in theatres was episode 1 as a child.

I'm not saying Star Wars films are bad, I just don't really care about their existence.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars for me personally. I don't share the same emotion I do with the MCU even though I love 90% of them. On the other hand the MCU is special for me because me and my son watched every movie since avengers.( he was too young for the older ones). It's was a great journey with me and him. I still remember him almost shitting his pants when Banner turns to the hulk in the first avengers. Lol. He was 5. Good times

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars. I grew up with them. I was a junior in college when the first Iron Man came out.

Also the video games. I grew up playing those, too.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Probably MCU as I've never been invested into Star Wars much.

Saw all the movies and all.

I didn't care if Greedo shot first or if they'll ever release the original cuts of the films.

I don't get the TLJ controversy either.

I was born when A New Hope came out.

MCU started much later but I've enjoyed them more.

The new Star Wars trilogy isn't very inspiring either.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Definitely Star Wars, though I'm not a huge fan. I can't wait until Marvel movies have run their course and we can back to not every other movie being about invincible magic people pointlessly fighting each other all day.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Star Wars, though I'm not a huge fan. I can't wait until Marvel movies have run their course and we can back to not every other movie being about invincible magic people pointlessly fighting each other all day.

This last bit honestly sounds more like a description of force users than Marvel heroes to me

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Despite decades of mistreatment, it's still Star Wars. Nothing in the mcu could compare to

the feeling I got when I saw this, and heard the music that accompanied it.
1*TWmd0IBIfmpkU3BPW_shMQ.png

And it still gets me, even today.

I'm not sure about decades of mistreatment (if you're including the Disney era, I disagree), but look at that fucking image. That's cinema right there.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up on both the Star Wars original trilogy and Marvel comics, and have a deep affection for both, so this is actually a tough choice. As for the newer Star Wars films and the MCU, while I still see and mostly enjoy those movies, I don't find them anywhere near as exciting as I would have when I was a kid—my emotional attachment is all to the old movies and comics. My 14-year-old self's dreams came true with the MCU, but turns out adult me has other interests. :)