• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which matters most?

• Star Wars

Votes: 370 52.7%
  • Marvel

Votes: 332 47.3%

• Total voters

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
MCU for me despite getting started on Star Wars almost a decade earlier. Recently I realized that, as much as I love the idea of Star Wars, very little of it is actually well executed. MCU, on the other hand, has been solid from the jump and has arguably surpassed the comics in some ways.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I don't care about Star Wars anymore. But the answer is still Star Wars. The OT and the EU were my childhood.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I came to Star Wars late but grew to love it, so much that the real Star Wars for me are the stories my friends and I created in online text-based role play rooms. Therefore the newer films could be shit-covered shit and I wouldn't care. So I don't care as much as all the Star Wars fans that are raging out there. I mostly enjoy the new films and am not bothered by anything but the quality of each film.

The Marvel stuff is a bunch of mostly fun films that I don't care for beyond the first watch. I guess it's because I never got into comic stuff - comics for me were The Beano and Whizzer and Chips from when I was young, and I was very surprised to learn later on that there were comics that adults loved. I was aware of Judge Dredd from a family friend but the art didn't interest me (and it was mostly in black white iirc) so I never read them.

TrickyPhysics

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason Star Wars just never hooked me. To be fair, the Star Wars of my childhood was the prequel trilogy which probably didn't help.

On the other hand, I'm currently not able to sleep from excitement about seeing Endgame twice in a row tomorrow for the premier. I was the perfect age to really fall in love with them when Iron Man first came out and to be honest, always having a next Marvel movie to look forward to on the horizon has really helped me get through what has been an emotionally and mentally difficult time these last few years. So it's a bit of an unfair fight.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mobile Suit Gundam.

But being for real I guess Marvel though only slightly. I actually dont care that much for either franchise besides a few aspects.

For the MCU it's the Guardians movies, Iron Man 1, and Cap 2.
For Star Wars it's both 'Clone Wars' cartoon shows, Rogue One, and some nostalgia for Revenge of the Sith (plus memes).

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
MCU. I liked original star wars movies but was never really interested beyond. Maybe because i saw them in 2010 for the 1st time and nothing seemed special coz they were made in the 70s.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Star Wars trilogy by a landslide. MCU has some great individual movies but as a whole and their group based movies are not nearly as good.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Of those two, it can only be Star Wars for me.

I was never really into comics when i was young and the MCU movies are not THAT good. They are fun, sure, some even are indeed really good. But they never tickled my imagination as Star Wars can.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Star wars is better as the OG trilogy but as a universe (especially after the great disney snappening of its EU), it's marvel. This new disney-esque star wars universe doesn't seems to have any sort of 'hook' at all.

wumpy

Dec 22, 2017
As a kid I would've said star wars. But now Disney has fucked it all up, MCU is an easy choice.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars at one point but it's almost dead to me now. I've never been as down or depressed on it as I am now.

I'm actually excited for Marvel.

Oct 29, 2017
Born in 89 plus I'm black. Didn't even watch a Star Wars until I was grown.

Black panther means more to me then all of Star Wars.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I'd say Marvel has WAY more great films than the Star Wars series (not sure if any touch Empire or Last Jedi in overall film quality but some have come close), but the originals are classics and a big part of my childhood. Gonna have to go with SW on this one.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars easily, probably only because I saw those films when I was young vs MCU in late teens. I have very fond memories of watching the OT re-releases in theatres in the late 90s with my family. Don't really care much about the new trilogy (though I did like TLJ).

I don't watch most MCU films in theatres. Most of them are forgettable.

Oh and I love the KoToR games. They really expanded the SW universe in wonderful ways. That also probably is the reason for my preference of Star Wars.

But I was also never generally into comics as a kid outside of Batman: TAS. That and Raimi Spiderman films are maybe the only comic book things I really care about. I do like the MCU films but just don't really connect with them.

Last edited:

mr lurtle

Oct 27, 2017
The last Star Wars movies made me question if I ever even liked it or if it's just nostalgia... So MCU

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Star Wars for me, but the games were deeply tied to that. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Kotor etc. I'm glad I got to experience the best of SW though.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Marvel by far.

Star Wars means absolutely nothing to me. I'm 27, so the OT released well before my time, and despite catching up on them as a kid...they just didn't stand out compared to many of the other films I had already seen by that point. And then the Prequel Trilogy started and I was old enough to recognize how poor they were, on top of already having a general apathy towards Jedi and Sith. I had so little interest in the IP that I never even bothered playing any of the licensed games. Not even KOTOR.

And then there's the Sequel Trilogy. Eek! The first one was a bland retread that felt overly familiar, and the less said about The Last Jedi, the better. Other than Rey's parents being nobodies, I thoroughly disliked pretty much everything about it.

I'm honestly pretty confused as to how Star Wars managed to retain it's grip on pop culture. Is it especially huge in America? I grew up in the UK and Australia, and it just...never really felt like a big deal from my POV. Maybe it's just my bubble, but nobody mentioned it at school. The prequels didn't seem popular even with other kids at the time. I have no idea how Disney managed to get my generation to view seeing these films as almost a cultural obligation.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Star Wars. I grew up with it. Hell we nicknamed our team's center (basketball) in highschool Vader.

I read Marvel comics as a kid and later after college, but it changed so often it didn't have any meaningful relevance. The movies have been great but they kind of all run together. Meanwhile each Star Wars release is like a touchstone.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, personal is a big word, but I prefer the Star Wars universe and lore, however lately the MCU films have been churning out better films than Star Wars, so there's that.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
5 years ago I would've said Star Wars. But episode 7 and 8 really took them down a peg for me.
And Cap 2,3 and Infinity War are 3 of my favorite movies now. So I have to go with MCU.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars, for sure. While I've been enjoying the MCU more in recent years, Star Wars is something i'll always be happy to come back every so often.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dipped out on this MCU stuff a long time ago. Star Wars directly influenced who I am as a person, MCU is just popcorn fun and there are way too many movies.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like both. I get more excited for the big Marvel movies than i do Star Wars as an adult.

Even as a kid or teen Star Wars was not that important to me. I was more interested in directors and actors growing up in the 80s and 90s.

Oct 27, 2017
I think as the years go on that Star Wars numbers will get lower since they weren't able to produce something that comes close to the quality of the original films so far, unlike the Marvel films which got better and better with no ceiling in sight yet.

But since both belong to Disney now, they probably don't care from which brand we buy merchandise...

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I've grown up with the MCU, so that. I'm not nearly as attached to them as I used to be, though.

I had Star Wars put upon me as a kid, and I even thought I liked it for a few years. Then, after The Force Awakens, I finally admitted to myself that I can't stand Star Wars and that I had no obligation to myself or anyone else to keep engaging with it.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think as the years go on that Star Wars numbers will get lower since they weren't able to produce something that comes close to the quality of the original films so far
I do not agree at all. For example I think the Last Jedi is better than every MCU film to date (and I love the MCU) and up there with Empire Strikes Back. Obviously not everyone agrees, but enough do feel TLJ is the best if not one of the best for it to fuel the interest and discussion for a long, long time.

I would agree if everything of the new era was safe and nostalgic like TFA but TLJ is one of the most impactful blockbusters of the past 30 years. Hell, just look at the endless discussion going for nearly 2 years at this point. That film alone was a loud statement in support of Star Wars remaining special.

Both MCU and Star Wars will remain massive and significant film franchises for decades.

I mean James Bond is still going for nearly 60 years at this point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
As far as personal goes...neither really. Like them both but neither are really that important for me, though I actually am very fond of the prequels because of memes and some good times I've spent(and still do) joking about them and finding myself actually enjoying them with friends.

Harry Potter is what I'm actually attached to.

Oct 27, 2017
I do not agree at all. For example I think the Last Jedi is better than every MCU film to date (and I love the MCU) and up there with Empire Strikes Back. Obviously not everyone agrees, but enough do feel TLJ is the best if not one of the best for it to fuel the interest and discussion for a long, long time.

I would agree if everything of the new era was safe and nostalgic like TFA but TLJ is one of the most impactful blockbusters of the past 30 years. Hell, just look at the endless discussion going for nearly 2 years at this point. That film alone was a loud statement in support of Star Wars remaining special.

Both MCU and Star Wars will remain massive and significant film franchises for decades.

I mean James Bond is still going for nearly 60 years at this point.

I think you mistake controversy for cultural relevance. And that controversy only happened because it's part of Star Wars. If that wouldn't have been the case it would've been critized as the promising but flawed movie it is and it would've been forgotten by now.

Also James Bond doesn't add to your point because the franchise only survived until now because it constantly modernized itself. Imagine if the newer movies tried to bank on nostalgia as hard as Star Wars tried to do. It would be a shitshow.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you mistake controversy for cultural relevance. And that controversy only happened because it's part of Star Wars. If that wouldn't have been the case it would've been critized as the promising but flawed movie it is and it would've been forgotten by now.

Also James Bond doesn't add to your point because the franchise only survived until now because it constantly modernized itself. Imagine if the newer movies tried to bank on nostalgia as hard as Star Wars tried to do. It would be a shitshow.
TLJ DID modernize Star Wars. That is part of why so many who just want nostalgia reacted so drastically. And saying it is a flawed movie that would be forgotten otherwise....doesn't hold up at all against the rave critical reception it received.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars. I fell in love with the originals as a child, saw the 90s re-release in the cinema, then the prequels and now the sequels. They are so influential and have such powerful storytelling elements. They are decent films on their own right, Empire for example ranks high in countless lists of "greatest movies ever". They've pioneered so many elements of filmmaking from outstanding special effects in the 70s to filming digitally. There is no comparison to the MCU.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
Neither, they're both kinda low down on my list, still watch the movies when they come out though. Other than that I have loved other series more like Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, Transmetropolitan when it comes to comic books etc.

What is most personal though is Warhammer 40.000
C841E04A7B4940D056769CED46F92699DC7D12CA

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, everything is goddamn awful for everyone and I fuckin' love that. Here and there you can read the stories of those who try to make things better though and that gives hope. And even then there is no real "good vs. evil", some are only slightly more rationale and not as insane/mindless as others (Tau/Imperium/Eldar vs. Tyranids for example), everything moves around in a grayscale of horrible and that makes it very interesting. Plus the Emperor of 40K is way more awesome than the Emperor of Star Wars, and the God Emperor is dead.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-Disney, Star Wars was a strong part of my childhood. Now? I couldn't care. I haven't felt invested in the new saga one bit. While I can't say the Marvel movies hold a stronger connection with me, I have been enjoying them more than the current SW stuff.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel doesn't really do much for me. They're okay. But, I'd trade them all away for more Nolan Super flicks.

STAR WARS, on the other hand, is LIFE.