• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game was more important for the Switch’s early success?

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath-of-the-Wild-Walkthrough.jpg

odyssey.jpg

I think the claim that the success of the Nintendo Switch was driven by these two games isn't a controversial one to make at all- especially after the Wii U era, where Nintendo's hardware and software both seemed to be losing mainstream relevance, it took these two games and the mass appeal and rave critical acclaim they garnered for them to get the public's attention again. But: which of these two games was ultimately more important for the Switch's success, and why?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild garnered a ridiculous amount of hype right upfront, and the rave critical acclaim and anticipation it generated can almost single handedly be credited with the early momentum that the Switch got. On the other hand, Super Mario Odyssey was the game that demonstrated that BotW wasn't a fluke, and the game that showed us that Nintendo was serious about keeping a steady stream of meaningful content for the Switch flowing. Odyssey is the game that's pushed the Switch into the mainstream, and accelerated its sales.

I do think Odyssey was very important for the Switch's success, but, having said that, I will double down on Breath of the Wild having been far more important to the Switch's early success than Odyssey. There are many reasons for me feeling this way: for starters, Breath of the Wild generated far more critical acclaim and mass hysteria than Odyssey ever did, which, I think, was very important for the Switch, which was coming right off the Wii U, and a not-too-convincing January reveal event. Breath of the Wild has far more appeal among the enthusiast core gamer, which was the demographic Nintendo needed to win most of all with the Switch- a western style AAA open world RPG simply has far more credibility and cachet with that audience than a 3D platformer, even one as accomplished as Odyssey, would.

Even though Odyssey was a true Switch exclusive, while BotW was also available on Wii U, I think that without BotW, Switch simply would not have had the start and the presence that it did- its early fate and sales may have been far too different. But I can see, for example, an argument that Odyssey in BotW's place as a launch game (with BotW subbing for Odyssey as the Holiday tent pole) might have achieved the same result, too- so what do you think? Which game was ultimately more important for the Switch's success? And why?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Well, it's clearly Zelda, but I also don't think it's much of the success. It's the Switch-ing, it's the premise of the system that blew up.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most important factor is that Switch is a desirable console in itself. Lineup wise BotW is the most important game. Having a GoAT at launch makes a huge difference.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Isn't it obvious that it was the game that released the same day as the system and sold more copies than there were system units being sold, was the talk of the town throughout the whole summer and cleaned house at the goty awards everywhere?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Breath of the Wild was a launch game and a real example of the potential of the platform. It wasn't just a technical marvel, either, it captured the imaginations of millions. I'm pretty sure a lot of devs played that game and by the time their jaws hit the ground, they were planning to support the platform.

It helps the game is ridiculously good, as well, and I actually think even the inclusion of a season pass helped sell the Switch itself as a much more modern and publisher-friendly platform.

Oct 25, 2017
You need mario for the continued success, but BOTW, essentially *the* launch title, is what helped Switch become the fastest selling console

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Early success?

Zelda.

We don't need a thread to answer that.

Nintendo's strong first party output has been a key driver of sales over the past year in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.