• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's apparent that this was designed to be a gorgeous game but the 3DS' graphical capabilities hold it back so much. It's a complete shame that this game is only at 240P max resolution. That and this game could have greatly benefited from a second analog stick that never utilizes even with the add-on. It is seriously the one game I hope Nintendo makes a remaster for on the Switch.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Shadow of the Colossus brought the PS2 to its knees. I should really play the remake sometime, was always one of the games most in need of it. A bunch of Rare games on N64 too, Perfect Dark in particular as has been mentioned multiple times. How did we ever play through those games with that framerate.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Bioshock Infinite

"When E3 was over, Irrational tried to get the demo running on consoles. Until then, most development had taken place on high-end PCs that could handle everything being dreamed up. The final game, however, had to ship on the rapidly aging PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
"Due to memory constraints, it was like…uh oh, This is not going to happen."

The original design proved too ambitious for the aging consoles at the time.

Curious how this game would've turned out if not for these restrictions. Judging by that infamous E3 2011 demo...

Last edited:

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the VR games but ill just go with Rush of Blood. Great game, doesn't look horrible but on stronger hardware would have less conspicuous jaggies and look alot better.

Dec 13, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus brought the PS2 to its knees. I should really play the remake sometime, was always one of the games most in need of it. A bunch of Rare games on N64 too, Perfect Dark in particular as has been mentioned multiple times. How did we ever play through those games with that framerate.
The thing with SotC and other games like Zone of the Enders 2 was that there were performance issues at times the game itself (everything about the game) elevated the experience to such a high level that I truly didn't care.

In the case of PD on the N64 for me (either low res and high FPS or high res and low FPS) was that either experience was soo bad the game couldn't rise above it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. Having enemies that can actually do something would be nice, or even better being able to actually beat levels with an S rank in split screen would be nice. Can get 3000 kills on a lot of those levels solo, but playing split screen with 2 people trying to rack up kills and get stuck at 1200 by the time the 15 minutes is reached for S rank.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The thing with SotC and other games like Zone of the Enders 2 was that there were performance issues at times the game itself (everything about the game) elevated the experience to such a high level that I truly didn't care.

Well I did care and noticed, but yeah I also loved the game despite those issues, one of the best PS2 games for sure. Truly pushed the envelope and showed what could still be done on PS2, together with GoW (2).

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't think any game in the last 10 years have been held back by specs. It's been more about skill level and time.

It's not like the 80s and 90s were there just isn't enough memory for another character type. Today textures and sound take up the vast majority of a game.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I'm sure there are more glaring answers, but for me I can't nominate anything besides Final Fantasy IX. Load times felt really grueling even when I played it as a kid before jumping on the PC gaming train.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and X360. They had to use big black borders on the top and bottom of the screen so it would run somewhat close to 30 fps. Even then it had severe trouble reaching 30 fps most of the time. The PC port was a godsend compared to that.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS3. It was scaled down form the PS4 version. Not the best example, but...

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Hoping to hear some more examples of games that had to make actual design changes because of restrictions. Not just framerate problems.

I seem to remember stories about cut content/features from the world simulation in GTA IV due to memory budget. There where missions planned that could be tackled more freely: if you needed to find someone specific for a assassination mission, you could track his/her whereabouts through the facebook equivalent ingame. The NPC would be roaming around the world dynamically.

Not sure where i got this from though, maybe someone knows?

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition - if memory serves correct - was held back because BioWare had ship PS360 versions of the game. They had to cut features like fort-building because the older consoles couldn't handle it.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Story (Wii) was a slideshow at times.

Also most 3DS games are held back by the console's resolution, which is evidenced by Citra emulator's HD screenshots: https://citra-emu.org/screenshots/
One day in the distant future I hope someone makes a clone 3ds system with improved resolution. The difference is night and day.

Anyway my answer is Secret of Mana. If I remember right Square had to cut a majority of the game when they found out the disk drive wasn't going to happen. It's a shame too because that game would've been much better with a FF6 level story.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Technically speaking?

Crash Bandicoot 1.

The game basically had to be retooled to deal with the technical limitations of the PSX and was responsible for the inception of the "get all the crates" mechanic, in lieu to giving the player something to do in the corridor like stages with too few enemies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
SotC on PS2 was really quite an achievement, they aimed beyond what HW can do and still managed to deliver a framerate-compromised masterpiece.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii was an interesting concept but the technology wasn't there yet- as a result all of the games that tried to utilize motion controls (especially before motion plus) were less than they could have been. Skyward Sword is a great example- it came after motion plus but failed in what it set out to do.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
This could be every cross gen release I feel like.

I'd say Last of Us or MGS4 on PS3.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
For me right now is freaking PUBG on the Xbox One.

Games shouldn't be allowed to be released in this state, you have to wait 30 seconds for a building to render after you land.

It's freaking dumb.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Vegas comes to mind. Straight from a developer on the game:
"[Fallout: New Vegas] would have been a lot different if it was PC only," Everts said. "We had a lot of plans early on. Like, 'Here's where the water is stored, here's where the farms are, here's where the government is centralized.' We had it all planned out—it wasn't just a bunch of random stuff."

But then, Everts said, lots of those elements had to be pared down. The Mojave Wasteland would have featured "more separate zones" and a "big wall around the whole thing," while the game itself would have benefitted from a performance perspective.

"We would have had fewer performance issues," Everts said. "We did break it up a bit, but from my point of view it was a performance-related game and we had to fix things."
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/consoles-killed-fallout-new-vegas-most-ambitious-ideas-dev-says/

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Can't think of any single game, save for some intergenerational games obviously designed for the most powerful one

But every game is designed with the hardware they're going to run, so there's not a single power starved game in my book

My alternative opinion is that every single game is power starved unless running on a PC
That's what I think too.

Oct 25, 2017
SNES Star Fox comes to mind. They so badly wanted to make something greater than the SNES could handle that they crammed more hardware into their cart and even then it ran at like 12fps.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, going to echo everybody else and say Shadow of the Colossus. that game was breaking so much ground at the time

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Can't think of any single game, save for some intergenerational games obviously designed for the most powerful one

But every game is designed with the hardware they're going to run, so there's not a single power starved game in my book

My alternative opinion is that every single game is power starved unless running on a PC

Would've love to see more dev's using PC as lead platform, just to get there vision across uncompromised. (or at least as far as possible)
From what i could gather from the preview cycle: CP2077 sure seems to sound like this (in it's current state)

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Shadow of the Colossus is great, but it definitely pushed the PS2 a few notches further than it could go.

Also, wasn't Assassin's Creed Unity largely such a mess because they over estimated how powerful PS4/Xbone CPUs we're going to be?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this counts but at launch Castlevania Lords Of Shadow was console only. It almost always ran below 25 fps and frequently dipped into the teens. When LOS Ultimate Edition came out on PC it was night and day difference. See below:

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Body Harvest.

Way too ambitious for the N64. I'm still holding out for Rockstar pulling off a shock remake. I reckon I'll be waiting a while.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
It was actually made for the Genesis and it worked well, having more powerful hardware wouldn't change how the game played.
but i would think the game they actually WANTED to make was probably more.. actually 3D.

Awesome thanks. I dunno why but the clash of the ambitions of a creative force like Ueda with limitations of PS2 is super fascinating.

Most of his games started development on one console and ended up getting released on the next one.. ICO was a PS1 game originally, last guardian was PS3. SOTC is an example where that didn't happen and it shows.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is pure genius when it comes to engaging open world game design.

However, it's hard not to think about how much more impressive the game could have been with more powerful hardware. There's a magic to that world that sort of breaks at times with the limited draw distance and plain looking environments.

Nov 2, 2017
The Witcher 3 for me. Would've loved to see what CDPR could have done with an Xbox One X or PS4Pro if the base ones didn't exist.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 felt like it belonged on the XBO. Crunchy audio and freaky fast entity despawns were a notable damper on an otherwise excellent single player experience.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Not power related, lots of games on the Amiga suffered because of the single button.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Burning Rangers. Holy shit this game ran at at a constant chugging framerate. It had advanced 3d graphics for the Sega Saturn like neat shading, transparencies, and effects, but as I recall it ran at a framerate in the teens. I guess Perfect Dark and Turok 2 were worse in one respect though- their framerate was so variable. At least BR was constantly slow. PD would have this crazy slowdown that made the game nigh unplayable. Anyway, it's interesting to look back on the game, it was an example of the kinds of risks that old Sega took that made them so great:

I also have to call out Sega for Gungrave on the PS2. If I remember correctly, that was actually capped at 60 fps but it would drop down to a quarter of that often. The game had destructible enviroments and lots of alpha/particle effects but the models were sub-Dreamcast level, disappointing at how bad the framerate was in that game.