• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is best?

• Dragon Quest 2

Votes: 89 23.6%
  • Final Fantasy 2 (JP)

Votes: 47 12.5%
  • Phantasy Star 2

Votes: 209 55.4%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 32 8.5%

• Total voters

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They're all pretty rough. I'm gonna give the edge to Final Fantasy II because its level up system is kinda cool.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 2. DQ2 is too hard for it's own good; not even the battles necessarily but the hidden items are very cryptic. PS2 has awful dungeons and is a bit of a boring slog though the story is fantastic. FF2 is actually really fun to play with if you get invested in the mechanics and the story and scope of the adventure hits the spot.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Phantasy Star II as much as the original, and it had some really annoying dungeons. Still, I really enjoyed its dark atmosphere, characters, soundtrack, and battles. I found it a much more memorable experience than the other games in the poll.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Only played Dragon Quest 2, and while I like the game, it might be the least good out of every DQ game.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Dragon Quest 2 just because I remember everything about it and it's had plenty of remakes that fix its issues.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS1 > FF1 > DQ1
PS2 > DQ2 > FF2
DQ3 > FF3 > PS3

Can't do 4s, too hard! And well, 5... (._. )

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
DQ2 definitely. Besides hard difficulty being more of a feature than a bug for me, it also had the superior map design over the other two and better gameplay.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
Dude, how is this even a question?

Phantasy star II is the clear winner, maybe you wanted to pick the original?

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
replayed DQ2 on android last year, made me really love the game, Phantasy Star 2 is just much better

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I haven't played the Phantasy Star series at all, I really like DQ II (well the remakes), but I think I gotta give it to FFII. I feel the ambitious for it's time story and characters really edge it out, though I just ADORE the DQ2 trio.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
That's Earthbound where I come from!

afd.jpg_large

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Now this one is way harder

Only thing i'm sure is "definitely not Dragon Quest II". Despite being a buggy mess FF2 is somewhat endearing and it took a lot of liberties in both mechanics and storytelling - it was FFIV before FFIV came and became praised all around. Phantasy Star II i remember very little, but what i remember was pretty fun.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star 2.

I remember playing it on pc through some sega collection. I didn't have a printer at home so I ended up handwriting like 20 pages from a gamefaqs guide. That game was brutal.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any of the phantasy star games, but I still love dq2 to this day, so I picked that.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Probably FF2 (though I'm biased on that since I have the game's mechanics more or less memorized).
The Battle System while goofy as all hell, does eventually give us the SaGa games, and the Story itself is surprisingly dark.
By the game's end, more than 3/4 of the world's population is annihilated thanks to the Cyclone, and then the Emperor manages to defeat the Devil himself in death and raise Hell/Pandemonium into the World. Shit gets a bit nutty. Oh, and Party Members stayed dead...unlike FF4.
That said, it's still very much a flawed game.

DQ2...the original version is a pretty difficult game. (Also, the Cave to Rhone was a special kind of hell.)
Probably my least favorite DQ that I've played.

As for PS2...I've only played a little bit of it, so I'm probably not qualified to say much about it.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star 2.

I remember playing it on pc through some sega collection. I didn't have a printer at home so I ended up handwriting like 20 pages from a gamefaqs guide. That game was brutal.

Reminds me of the 90s when emulation wasn't as easy. Download .txt walkthrough on computer on on room, then go to the other room where the game and cosole are,, then return to the computer room to double-check something, then back to the game, repeat ad infinitum.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I completed PS2 a month or two back and I was planning on making a thread about the 4 main games since I've played them all now, and well I voted for PS2 since as much as I love Dragon Quest, I really loved PS2 - the music, graphic style it was everything I wanted from a sequel to the first game except for the lack of 3D dungeons. I've never been huge on FF, it feels a bit dry for me, I love the saturated worlds of PS and DQ.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 2 and FF2 are the worst game in their respective series

Phantasy Star 2 doesn't have that label so it wins by default

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the Phantasy Star series is really underrated because it wasn't on the JRPG platform the SNES

Them and Shining force were thee JRPG series for me growing up

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star 2 is a pretty bad RPG with some memorable characters and a cool setting. Those dungeons are simply unpleasant. It feels almost duct taped together compared to 1 and 4 being so polished.

Final Fantasy 2 has a great setting and everything else is weird and unbalanced.

Dragon Quest 2 is probably the best of these but it's also easily the worst mainline Dragon Quest game. It doesn't do anything especially badly, it's just inconsistent difficulty-wise and in the original version this could really catch you off guard in a way that wasn't particularly fun. DQ isn't like Wizardry where you go in expecting to get ganked.

Rough time for RPG sequels! Although sequels in general were really all over the place during this era, with some of them being complete reboots almost entirely unrelated in gameplay to the previous game, while others were essentially really difficult expansion packs to the original game.

Dragon Quest 2 and FF2 are the worst game in their respective series

Phantasy Star 2 doesn't have that label so it wins by default

I dunno... I assume you're talking about PS3. Which shouldn't have ever been a Phantasy Star game. But honestly I think it's a much more enjoyable game than PS2.

Now when we get to 3 phantasy star is gonna run out of love

And it'll absolutely deserve it compared to the likes of FF3 and especially DQ3! PS4 deserves to come out ahead again, though. It might be one of the best RPGs of that whole era, easily on that venerated Chrono Trigger tier.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star 2 is a pretty bad RPG with some memorable characters and a cool setting. Those dungeons are simply unpleasant. It feels almost duct taped together compared to 1 and 4 being so polished.

There's a reason for that:

Hayashida: Phantasy Star II was originally planned for the Sega Master System, as a direct sequel to Phantasy Star. Later it was decided it would be released on the Megadrive, so we had to rework all our plans. Despite that huge change, we only had a half year to finish the game, a real oppressive schedule. And of course we had to complete the debugging in that timeframe, so when you consider the normal schedule for an RPG, Phantasy Star II was created in an incredibly short period. The only reason we made it was because of Yuji Naka.

http://shmuplations.com/phantasystarii/

Granted, Dragon Quest 2 was created in about the same amount of time, though that was at least on the same hardware.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would vote DQ2 for its remake which is actually good due to its QoL improvements but I know the NES version is terrible so it's not really fair.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Heh DQ3 was out before FF2 and PS2. But I can't really fairly vote on this since I've only played DQ2.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
No need to put (JP) after Final Fantasy 2 anymore. The real FF 2 and 3 have been released worldwide. Those games and Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI are now known by their proper numbers.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with Phantasy Star again. PSII is the first jrpg I really got hooked on and loved every minute of it. The game came with a thick strategy guide and map that were very handy, otherwise I would probably never have even been able to finish it.