• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is best?

• Dragon Quest 3

Votes: 274 69.0%
  • Final Fantasy 3 (JP)

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Phantasy Star 3

Votes: 49 12.3%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 20 5.0%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to part 3.

Part 1: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...uest-1-final-fantasy-1-phantasy-star-1.74458/
Part 2: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...t-2-final-fantasy-2-jp-phantasy-star-2.74604/

Per the moderators I am required to add more content to the OP.

Context: the third installments of the Drragon Quest and Final Fantasy series introduced a class system that allowed the game to be played in many different ways. In DQ3 you can choose from a number of different party members at the beginning of the game, while FF3 allow you to change your characters' "jobs", which you unlock gradually throughout the game.

Phantasy Star 3 is, conversely, a step sideways, introducing a number of unusual ideas. Most prominent is that the game takes place across three generations; at the end of each of the first two generations, you choose which female character you want to marry, and then play as their descendants in the following generation. This mechanic results in four different third generations, each with their own ending.

So, of the third installments to these RPG series, there's two games here with similar ideas for expanding on previous entries, and an odd duck that did itts own thing completely. Which was most successful? Vote now.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
DQ3 is one of the best JRPGs of all time.

FF3 I didn't care for.

PS3 is the videogame equivalent of a bad movie. Worth playing once just for the fucking insanity.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
As good as DQ3 is, FF3 is when Final Fantasy started getting really, really good.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
OP per the FAQ you need a better constructed OP that can foster more discussion. Give some details on some of the pros and cons on each game for example. PM if you do so and I can unlock th thread.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak for PS3. Game is dog shit, but it has for me one of the greatest OST in the genre/Megadrive

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DQ3 is still a fan favorite. I like FF3 a lot though. The moment you leave the island is like leaving Midgard, but better.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Why did you ignore the feedback people gave you in the first thread? Those games weren't peers, and neither are these. Final Fantasy 3 came out after Dragon Quest 4.
Are we going to get one of these for every entry in these series?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
phantasy star 3 is a messed up game

but it's fun, and not as slow as 2 and 4

very unpopular opinion, but it's my favourite phantasy star

i felt like a rebel today, so i voted for it over DQ3

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't really comparable considering they came out at completely different times. The only real commonality that they share is that they have the number 3 in them.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't really comparable considering they came out at completely different times. The only real commonality that they share is that they have the number 3 in them.

PS3 and FF3 came out only 6 days apart actually.

And it doesn't look like being released a bit earlier has hurt DQ3 in this poll. lol.

Oct 30, 2017
I voted for FF3, but it's really, really close. If we include remakes, then DQ3 GBC is king (I think there's a Super Famicom version too).

The game is mostly bad, but I still have fond memories of PS3. I loved the big reveal that the world is just a giant space ship hurdling through space, but everybody's forgotten. The generations mechanic was cool, where you would end up with different protagonists and party variations based on who you marry. Also, the overworld music got more complex for every new party member added. I feel like nobody is going to talk very much about PS3, so I figured I'd give it some token words in spite of its flaws.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DQ3 and FF3 were when both series began getting good in my opinion, but I'm super biased towards DQ3 as it's my favorite in the series, so it wins my vote. Still love FF3, though.

Phantasy Star 3 exists, and that's about the nicest thing I can say about it, lol.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
DQ 3 is one of my favorite DQ games. It's just brilliant from top to bottom.

FF 3 is the most technically advanced Famicom game as far as I'm concerned. Yeah yeah I know about Gimmick and some of those really late shooters. FF3 being on the same hardware as DQ1 is kinda mindblowing.

PS3 is a complete disaster...that also happened to basically invent the whole concept of the main character having a kid with one of the other characters and that kid becoming the playable character. It's still an awful, awful game.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Dragon Quest III came out before Phantasy Star II.

Dragon Quest IV was released in the same year as Phantasy Star III.

Like at least check. Another thing is, the vote is a bit worthless if you haven't played all these games and know what their strengths and weaknesses are. You're not getting that from a summary.

The context is important.

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest III is still the standard in which many Dragon Quest fans judge every new Dragon Quest title.

FF and PS fans don't do that with FF3 and PS3

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS3 and FF3 came out only 6 days apart actually.

And it doesn't look like being released a bit earlier has hurt DQ3 in this poll. lol.

Why are you using the JP release dates though...

DQ3 didn't come out overseas until 4 years after the initial release, whereas barely anyone in the west has played FFIII's original version, even to this day.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's an odd comparasion. I really like DQ3, but FF3 took a lot of what that game did with the job system and really improved on it. PS3 came out way later, like a whole console generation later though .

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing is, the vote is a bit worthless if you haven't played all these games and know what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Agreed, but it's not like I can restrict the vote to only people who have already played the games. The "Can't decide" option will have to do for them.

Anyway there's already plenty of people itt who have played all three so it's a moot point anyway.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
It's an odd comparasion. I really like DQ3, but FF3 took a lot of what that game did with the job system and really improved on it. PS3 came out way later, like a whole console generation later though .

PS3 actually came out before FF3 believe it or not. April 21 1990 vs April 27 1990.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
DQ 3 is so much freedom, going on a solo adventure too is really fun. I like FF3 but never played PS 3 yet

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
DQ3 is obviously the best game of the three so I won't go into much detail.

FF3, IMO, rarely gets appreciated due to it only being localized as a remake that had questionable changes to it. Of course its job system isn't good as FF5's because there was no FF5 as a basis for what a job system should be. While they tried too hard to have progression barriers based on needing certain job classes, it was still a fun and challenging game with great production and atmosphere.

Phantasy Star 3 I never got past generation 1 in, but I always loved its music and atmosphere which I feel is something it does better than the other two games or even the other Phantasy Star games.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Dragon Quest III is such an amazing game!

What a fantastic world to explore!

It really is a shame the west never got the 16-bit remake, playing this on the NES or GBC is a chore.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind these threads, but just put more information in the OP.

Mention to where you can find those games, cover art, maybe link some let's plays or such, or old reviews. If you've never played these games, it makes the discussion very inside baseball instead as an opportunity to play these games and learn about that as well.

Just my 2c.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, but it's not like I can restrict the vote to only people who have already played the games. The "Can't decide" option will have to do for them.

Anyway there's already plenty of people itt who have played all three so it's a moot point anyway.

It seems like people mainly played remakes, or they weren't really specific as to whether or not they played all three in any format lol

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually only completed DQ3 on the GBC, playing on the GBA SP.

Maybe I'm just still bummed we never got to play that glorious SFC version, I really love how it looks.
The mobile version has what seemed to be the SFC version with some missing animations but a modern localization. The lack of enemy animations was a big complaint but seemed like the closest to playing the SFC version.