• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let it Go or Defying Gravity

• Let it Go

Votes: 108 43.9%
  • Defying Gravity

Votes: 138 56.1%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I know this was a previous thread on Gaf but things have changed since then and tons of new people have joined Resetera so i decided - why not ask this question. Which song do you think is better?

Let it Go from Frozen:

Defying Gravity from Wicked

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Idina's voice is so fucking shrill. I don't understand how it sparks joy in anyone.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Let it Go. Defying gravity is boring, but LIG is pure hype. Idina's version of LIG isn't the best one, though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Defying Gravity has always sounded a bit too self-consciously Broadway to me. When I hear it, I can just about picture Menzel looking out at the audience for a reaction.

Let It Go to me feels a bit more naturalistic, if that isn't too ridiculous a statement.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think the comparisons in the OP aren't quite fair, as one's a live performance, while the other is a produced / mixed studio recording.

I'd say the better comparison would be Let it Go vs.

A filmed live performance lacks both, the polish of a studio record, but also the energy of hearing the actual singers with your own ears.

To me, DG feels a lot more empowering, and i'm also very biased towards songs that aren't entirely solo performances. But LIG is also pretty amazing as well.

Defying Gravity has always sounded a bit too self-consciously Broadway to me. When I hear it, I can just about picture Menzel looking out at the audience for a reaction.

Let It Go to me feels a bit more naturalistic, if that isn't too ridiculous a statement.
we can't really know, until we've seen Frozen - The Broadway Musical.
we do have

And, it's safe to say, that Idina's got a very similar ... intensity ... to her performance.

Oct 27, 2017
Defying Gravity. Saw Wicked live a few years ago (was the touring version in the UK so not Idina Menzel) and that song is just awesome. It is the perfect way to end the first act of the show.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's a hard choice. I don't like the interlude in Let it Go so much, so I guess I'd go with Defying Gravity.

When I listen to Defying Gravity, I wanna just storyboard that song as a Disney movie.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel Glee's version of defying gravity is a better empowering moment. I'm not that into classical broadway stuff.

Let it go is good, though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Glee's version of defying gravity is a better empowering moment. I'm not that into classical broadway stuff.

Let it go is good, though.

Yup. And i'd actually say that Rachel performing DG is superior to her performance of LIG.

Defying Gravity. Saw Wicked live a few years ago (was the touring version in the UK so not Idina Menzel) and that song is just awesome. It is the perfect way to end the first act of the show.

I've only seen Wicked in London, and not on Broadway, as well and i definitely prefer the performance i've seen over the performance in the OP.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. And i'd actually say that Rachel performing DG is superior to her performance of LIG.

The use of music to develop both characters in that episode was brilliant. Chris was very far from what was required but i feel they sound great harmonizing together. Lea was perfect.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They're both pretty much the same song tbf. I think I like Defying Gravity a bit more though.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Defying Gravity.

The broadway version of Let It Go is still on my playlist along side Defying Gravity though.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I didn't even think this would be a contest

Maybe I'm biased for what I first came up hearing but Defying Gravity is the best of the two.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
What an impossible choice. Maybe Defying Gravity as there is a lot going in that song in terms of summing up the first act and setting up the next. If you'[ll pardon the pun, Defying Gravity really carries the weight of what's going on for Elphaba.
Popular is the best song in Wicked
A contender; I also like the Mika/Ariana Grande version too.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Saw Wicked on the West End last year and defying gravity completely blew me away. Hearing someone nail that song in person is an unforgettable experience. So much so that it kinda made the second half of Wicked feel a bit shit afterwards.

That being said, Let it Go is maybe a better song with a better flow to it, if you're just listening on a soundtrack. Defying Gravity is like 5 songs all in one with all its interruptions and different parts. Defying Gravity is better overall though.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
What an impossible choice. Maybe Defying Gravity as there is a lot going in that song in terms of summing up the first act and setting up the next. If you'[ll pardon the pun, Defying Gravity really carries the weight of what's going on for Elphaba.

A contender; I also like the Mika/Ariana Grande version too.
I had no idea that was a thing, I tried it but could not stick Mika

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Defying Gravity because I've listened to it billions more times and am not nearly sick of it

But tbf Idina Menzel could probably sing the names in a phone book and I'd still be in love

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I love Let It Go, but Defying Gravity is one of my all time favorites. I could listen to it every day and not tire of it.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I love Let it Go, Defying Gravity doesn't hit the spot for me.
But i'll second that the song from Moana is better than both.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just one of those musicals I find painful to watch.

Rent is another one, although Rent is a whole other level of bad.

Man... I can see finding it a little too twee for modern sensibilities, but the show is so fuckin' watchable and fun. To each their own of course.

I know this is tangential, but on the subject of musicals, whats something you'd recommend over Wicked and Rent?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Not really a good comparison because Let It Go isn't a stage musical and Wicked isn't a movie. They have totally different contexts and music directions.

I think Wicked, though. Particularly if you've seen it live. Goosebumps everywhere.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really a good comparison because Let It Go isn't a stage musical and Wicked isn't a movie. They have totally different contexts and music directions.

I think Wicked, though. Particularly if you've seen it live. Goosebumps everywhere.

Seeing Defying Gravity live was one of the best live performance experiences I've ever had.

Oct 26, 2017
Wicked, Defying Gravity. Let it Go still rubs me wrong with it's lyrics....Just don't care for them, especially in context of the movie at that time.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Man... I can see finding it a little too twee for modern sensibilities, but the show is so fuckin' watchable and fun. To each their own of course.

I know this is tangential, but on the subject of musicals, whats something you'd recommend over Wicked and Rent?

I tend to like the usual sort of things.

I mean, I liked Spice Girls: The Musical which I don't think you could describe as objectively good. Possibly because I was drunk and it was basically an elaborate karaoke. I HATE We Will Rock You though even though I like Queen.

The last musical I saw that I thoroughly enjoyed was an open air performance of The Little Shop of Horrors in Reagent's Park with Vicky Vox as Audrey II.

Very good production, nice party atmosphere and being outside in a park was a novelty.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... I came in and knee jerk voted Let it Go, as I've only seen Wicked once, but then reconsidered and thought about Defying Gravity. But, now I'm back to Let it Go. I think it's a more complex two-part song, with better high moments and better two part melodies.

I generally don't like Popular because I don't like Kristen Chenoweth's voice and she carries the song... But... I know it's that stage voice, it's just not for me.