• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version of Tetris is the best one?

• Gameboy Tetris / Tetris DX / NES Tetris - let's call it "barebones Tetris"

Votes: 170 20.7%
  • Tetris Attack - AKA yes it's not Tetris but Nintendo hasn't made another Panel de Pon yet

Votes: 28 3.4%
  • Tetris DS

Votes: 195 23.8%
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

Votes: 132 16.1%
  • Tetris Effect

Votes: 295 36.0%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Possibly the most ported game of all time, so there's no way to fit all of them in a single poll. Still, this should cover the most liked.

For me it's Tetris DS (haven't bought Tetris Effect, but based on the demo it could easily become my favorite version). Tetris + Nintendo is a game that could very easily been a shitty cashgrab since it'd sell for itself, but thankfully what we got is one of the best playing, most fun versions of Tetris. Sure, it's on a handheld so the standards are lower, but this + a DSi XL is quite the experience. Also, the remixes are awesome:

Puyo Puyo Tetris could be a close second / third, but since I've played so little of it thanks to the stupid publishing rights situation on PS4, I can't really say.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I thought I knew how to play Tetris but then Tetris DS came out and I really learned how to play Tetris.

I agree with you OP.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not dissing Tetris Effect, but i think the fact that VR is a must to fully get the real experience on that disqualifies it as the ultimate tetris.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Tetris 99 is the best multiplayer tetris ever. Tetris Effect is the best single player tetris ever.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you want from Tetris. Some are more competitive, some have more game modes, some have more audiovisual polish. To me the two big Kings are TGM and Effect.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I can play Tetris DS anywhere and that makes it unbeatable to me.

I've played more Tetris Axis by now though :x

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I'm here to remind everybody that Tetris DS let you play 10-player matches with one cartridge. Used to have reunions with my friends to play this and was one of our best multiplayer experiences ever.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who usually doesn't like the play a lot of tetris. Tetris 99 is soooooo addicting. What I've played of DS game was fun as well.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
barebones Tetris is the best. i don't like anything slapped on it. just let me drop bricks and clear lines. don't need any other gimmick.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You left out Tengen Tetris and the original arcade Tetris.

Let's not kid ourselves, when people think "OG Tetris" they think NES and GB despite the fact that it is factually incorrect.

I don't agree with that at all. The game is gorgeous on a flat display, the colors, music, and overall vibe are strong enough on their own IMO.

Not saying it's not great on its own, but VR is the intended way.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't agree with that at all. The game is gorgeous on a flat display, the colors, music, and overall vibe are strong enough on their own IMO.

Seconded. The game is INCREDIBLE on a standard HDTV with a good surround system. My daughter saw me playing it and was completely blown away.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Where is Tetris Grandmaster in the poll?

Shit like the invisible credits after MM is reached is mindboggling.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Puyo Tetris for Switch/PS4 personally because it has couch Versus/Party mode and it felt fantastic.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably my favorite version of Tetris.

cover-256.png

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Tetris DS would be my absolute favorite without any reservation whatsoever if there was an option to turn off the infinite spin. I don't mind that feature, I just don't want it on all the time.

Tetris 99 is pretty fucking brilliant. If they could add a few more modes (even as paid DLC, I'd be fine with that), maybe based on the DS game, then it would be perfect. As it stands, the game is exceptional but its look and feel is kinda clinical, like the EA and Ubisoft versions. It needs a bit more Nintendo charm.

Tetris Effect didn't really capture me. The way the pieces spinned felt weird for some reason. Like there was too much lag, it's hard to describe.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It triggers me than this thread included Tetris Attack over The Grand Master. Those games redifined most of the modern rules that you see today in Tetris

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris DS for me.

Don't understand what makes Tetris Effect so special, but I haven't played it. Is it just the presentation that makes it feel better?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Grandmaster is missing, and Tetris Attack isn't even a Tetris game. C'mon now.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Tetris DS for me.

Don't understand what makes Tetris Effect so special, but I haven't played it. Is it just the presentation that makes it feel better?
It's entirely on the presentation, yeah. The game plays well, but the way the visuals, the music and the gameplay all flow together is fantastic.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Tetris DS is my favorite day imply for the Nintendo nostalgia surrounding the entire play experience. Also an extremely competent version of the game. The grand master is hands down the best to watch for high level play. The things players can do is mind boggling.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Possibly the most ported game of all time, so there's no way to fit all of them in a single poll. Still, this should cover the most liked.

For me it's Tetris DS (haven't bought Tetris Effect, but based on the demo it could easily become my favorite version). Tetris + Nintendo is a game that could very easily been a shitty cashgrab since it'd sell for itself, but thankfully what we got is one of the best playing, most fun versions of Tetris. Sure, it's on a handheld so the standards are lower, but this + a DSi XL is quite the experience. Also, the remixes are awesome:

Puyo Puyo Tetris could be a close second / third, but since I've played so little of it thanks to the stupid publishing rights situation on PS4, I can't really say.

The best is Tetris Effect. If you love Tetris you owe it to yourself to try it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It triggers me than this thread included Tetris Attack over The Grand Master. Those games redifined most of the modern rules that you see today in Tetris
I think its kind of fair considering how rare it was to find in arcades outside of Japan. Now if there was a console release that was enjoyed by the majority of Tetris fans and had a mass phenomenon appeal like the Tetris games, I would say that you are absolutely correct. Which is what I think is the point of this thread, based on what most of us have played, not seen. In which case, would be Tetris DS, its near perfect. Arika making Tetris 99 makes me hopeful they are working on a proper Tetris Game for the Switch, or that they are gonna start porting single player modes from Grandmaster to 99.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say Puyo of the ones listed, but Grandmaster is the real answer

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Tetris DS had a ton of content. It's one of the few Tetris games where the side modes were actually really well thought out and fun.