• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version of Tetris is the best one?

• Gameboy Tetris / Tetris DX / NES Tetris - let's call it "barebones Tetris"

Votes: 170 20.7%
  • Tetris Attack - AKA yes it's not Tetris but Nintendo hasn't made another Panel de Pon yet

Votes: 28 3.4%
  • Tetris DS

Votes: 195 23.8%
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

Votes: 132 16.1%
  • Tetris Effect

Votes: 295 36.0%

• Total voters

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Tetris Effect is more than a game to me. It's an experience. It was my true GOTY last year and everyone who likes Tetris and has a PS4 should give it a try. It gets my vote.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I have in the neighborhood of 100 DS games, how did I miss Tetris DS?! Going to do a quick look on ebay now.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
game_boy_tetris-300x136.jpg

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Possibly the most ported game of all time, so there's no way to fit all of them in a single poll. Still, this should cover the most liked.

For me it's Tetris DS (haven't bought Tetris Effect, but based on the demo it could easily become my favorite version). Tetris + Nintendo is a game that could very easily been a shitty cashgrab since it'd sell for itself, but thankfully what we got is one of the best playing, most fun versions of Tetris. Sure, it's on a handheld so the standards are lower, but this + a DSi XL is quite the experience. Also, the remixes are awesome:

Puyo Puyo Tetris could be a close second / third, but since I've played so little of it thanks to the stupid publishing rights situation on PS4, I can't really say.

But what do represent arcade line of Tetris games in your poll? Like Tetris the Grandmaster...

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris Effect is awesome until you factor in there's no multiplayer, which sucks. But even if it had multi, Tetris Attack is the GOAT puzzle game. But it isn't Tetris.

lee n

Oct 26, 2017
What's your definition of "get good" here?

The speed at level 1200+ is near the limit of what is possible to actually play. Pieces take only 8 frames to lock into place at that point. It's never actually been cleared during a live GDQ run. Even the literal best players in the world have difficulty completing it consistently.
Are you saying they're not good at it because it gets intense towards the end? I used the word "arguably" intentionally here, I'm very much in favour of people arguing against it.

What I mean is that it's more straightforward than the other modes, there aren't a lot of hidden requirements or crazy stacking required to perform well. That's not to say that it's easy, and if your definition is just clearing the mode then yeah - easy mode is definitely the easiest. But there's more to it than that if you want to get good at it, and aside from the torikan and the crazy speed in shirase there isn't a whole lot to it. Keeping up with the speed is all that's expected of you really.

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Tetris Effect, it's phenomenal.

And Tetris 99 is a great way to keep the game alive in today's time. Extremely creative way to jump into the battle royale scene I managed to get top 15 in my first run too

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's GameBoy Tetris. That's the correct answer. Simple, pure, handheld brilliance. Not just the best Tetris but maybe one of the best games ever, full stop.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised to learn Tspinning was possible in Gameboy Tetris. I was fiending on that game as a kid. How did I not discover this back then? How tight are the timing requirements once the game really picks up in speed?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The New Tetris is the correct answer, and it's not even reflected in the poll. For shame.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Arika are the Tetris Gods. Here are their Tetris games:

Tetris: The Grandmaster (1998)
Tetris: The Grandmaster 2 (2000)
Tetris: The Grandmaster 3 (2005)
Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace (Xbox exclusive 2005)
Tetris with Cardcaptor Sakura (2000)
Tetris 99 (2019)

and

Dr. Mario Online Prescription
Dr. Mario Express
Dr. Luigi
Dr. Mario Miracle Cure