• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Lola Bunny

the_ball_is_down_here_by_spiritto-d371ohf.jpg

Okay thats enough internet for tonight I think.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
A CHALLENGER APPEARS

yu_gi_oh__vrains_fujiki_yusaku_playmaker__render__by_raidengtx_dbh78do-fullview.png

105 Episodes. 0 loses. Best deck in the Universe obtained in the ancient ruins of a VIRTUAL REALITY WORLD. Super self taught hacker. Famous Super Hero. Can create any Link monster he wants whenever his Life points are lower than 1000, then he upgrades and can create ANY type of extra deck card (Fusion, Synchro, Xyz or Link) by having less than 500 LP.
To be fair Yusei never lost either and yugi only did it in the filler season and when Kaiba went suicidal.

The skill thing is bullshit but I'm not sure if it's more or less bullshit than the heart of the cards or Utopia randomly being able to level up.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
To be fair Yusei never lost either and yugi only did it in the filler season and when Kaiba went suicidal.

The skill thing is bullshit but I'm not sure if it's more or less bullshit than the heart of the cards or Utopia randomly being able to level up.

Yusei lost to Kiryu.

His LP didnt reach 0 because his bike malfunctioned right before Ccapac Apu reached him with his attack, but that was just a way to prevent his soul being taken when his LP reached 0. He had a bike piece pierce through his stomach instead tho.

Yuma loses fair and square consistently, same as Jaden and Yuya.

Yugi also loses fair and square once, the time where Kaiba threaatens to kill himself if he doesn´t win doesn´t count

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Yusei lost in a flashback to Jack once(sounds weird but yes it did happen) and he also lost to Kiryu/Kalin. His life points didn't hit 0, but that's literally only because he crashed his motorcycle before he could receive the final hit, so that counts as a loss in my opinion. Plus he was a flawed character with self-doubt, crisis of confidence and in general had a shitty cyberpunk life.

I am of course referring to pre ep 64 Yusei, before he turned into literal fucking Superman down to the origin story. After that yeah you're not wrong he's about the same :P

Also...

END

YOUR

GODDAMN

TURN

JEAAAAAAAN

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Yusei lost to Kiryu.

His LP didnt reach 0 because his bike malfunctioned right before Ccapac Apu reached him with his attack, but that was just a way to prevent his soul being taken when his LP reached 0. He had a bike piece pierce through his stomach instead tho.

Yuma loses fair and square consistently, same as Jaden and Yuya.

Yugi also loses fair and square once, the time where Kaiba threaatens to kill himself if he doesn´t win doesn´t count
Yusei lost in a flashback to Jack once(sounds weird but yes it did happen) and he also lost to Kiryu/Kalin. His life points didn't hit 0, but that's literally only because he crashed his motorcycle before he could receive the final hit, so that counts as a loss in my opinion. Plus he was a flawed character with self-doubt, crisis of confidence and in general had a shitty cyberpunk life.

I am of course referring to pre ep 64 Yusei, before he turned into literal fucking Superman down to the origin story. After that yeah you're not wrong he's about the same :P

Also...

END

YOUR

GODDAMN

TURN

JEAAAAAAAN
Yeah you guys are right I forgot about Yusei loosing that one time. (Twice if you count Jack).

With Yugi though he genuinely only lost during S4 when he gets possessed by rage. It's not really that different to Yusaku.

Yusaku having no real character development I can get behind. Dude is pretty much still the same revenge machine, though I do enjoy that at the moment (haven't watched all 100 episodes yet). I have problems with VRAINS (mainly the world, the animation, no side characters and bad cards and link mechanics) but Yusaku is not one of them.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah you guys are right I forgot about Yusei loosing that one time. (Twice if you count Jack).

With Yugi though he genuinely only lost during S4 when he gets possessed by rage. It's not really that different to Yusaku.

Yusaku having no real character development I can get behind. Dude is pretty much still the same revenge machine, though I do enjoy that at the moment (haven't watched all 100 episodes yet). I have problems with VRAINS (mainly the world, the animation, no side characters and bad cards and link mechanics) but Yusaku is not one of them.

Yusaku is a shittier Yusei that doesn´t sorround himself with good characters that have a good dynamics with him.

So he's boring AF.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Honestly, reason Yugi could get away with that is:

1) We had Joey. Joey was there to take the Ls so that the heroes felt less invincible. The show was very much framed as "Yugi & Joey take on the world also Kaiba sometimes" so Yugi and Joey felt like a team, so when Joey took Ls it made it satisfying when Yugi won. They also had a really nice formula going with Joey barely winning his matches with super luck and improvising and Yugi being in control the entire time.

2) Yugi was the first protag, so him being an invincible guy was less annoying because he didn't have to bear 5 generations of salt upon his shoulders :P This is totally cheating but hey Yugi was super good at cheating.

3) Yugi was just more fun to watch. He had cool lines, his backstory was mysterious, and as a character psychotic egyptian pharaoh who played card games possessing a teenage boy with confidence issues is more rad than the genius hacker boy.

Also "being possessed by the living incarnation of victory at games and being constantly creeped out by how far he'll go to win at a children's card game" helped the whole thing feel a bit better in my opinion. And they built up his invincibility on purpose so that when Yugi(real one) beat Atem, it felt like a huge achievement.

Yusaku is not really a problem so much as a huge "...Eh" for me. Dude feels like a Skyrim protagonist in terms of expressiveness and motivation, he's just sort of there for me. VRAINS doesn't really have any characters I care about, I only cared about Gore and his pro wrestling persona and wellllllllllllllll.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll concede that I fail to remember some of those scenes in the first film, alright?

I'm still going to disagree with your speculation that Kylo had his lightsaber set to stun or something in an attempt to calm Rey down and invite her to his tea party as he persisted raging out and trying to slice her with it for ten minutes, though.

I get what you're saying about Luke. I dunno what you want me to say. I guess he wasn't, y'know, one of the most skilled Jedi ever who apparently had the ability to use the force unprecedentedly by projecting himself across the galaxy the entire time? Even though he was probably only using combat to deflect Rey's attacks so he could return to his jedi bnb and sleep and drink his green milk or whatever, Rey still outclassed him in their very first (and only) "sparring match" (he was clearly shocked by how strong she was) in yet another example of Rey's inherent awesomeness and badassery as her character is written. ^___^

This is because she's basically a hero archetype with minimal to no flaws other than being too compassionate sometimes or too badass/not badass enough when she should've been (I guess those are flaws?). Her default mode is being amazing. It should go without saying that hero archetypes like this in fiction have been around for a long time, so this is nothing new.

It's possible many younger viewers are not as used to women being that character in a leading role, which gives her a lot of appeal, but there are certainly examples of strong women characters in fiction who are, in my opinion, more groundbreaking and interesting than Rey. Again, this isn't necessarily indicative of bad writing and I keep repeating this because your argument seems to be based on the assumption that I think her being awesome all the time is a negative thing, which I don't.

But when a thread has a premise of mentioning characters via criteria of being written as heavily plot armored and awesome all or most of the time, mentioning Rey is definitely not out of line with that criteria. Based on the two movies so far, at least. I have no idea how true this will be about her in the third film.

It is absolutely out of line, as reasoned.

Agree to disagree.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly, reason Yugi could get away with that is:

1) We had Joey. Joey was there to take the Ls so that the heroes felt less invincible. The show was very much framed as "Yugi & Joey take on the world also Kaiba sometimes" so Yugi and Joey felt like a team, so when Joey took Ls it made it satisfying when Yugi won. They also had a really nice formula going with Joey barely winning his matches with super luck and improvising and Yugi being in control the entire time.

2) Yugi was the first protag, so him being an invincible guy was less annoying because he didn't have to bear 5 generations of salt upon his shoulders :P This is totally cheating but hey Yugi was super good at cheating.

3) Yugi was just more fun to watch. He had cool lines, his backstory was mysterious, and as a character psychotic egyptian pharaoh who played card games possessing a teenage boy with confidence issues is more rad than the genius hacker boy.

Also "being possessed by the living incarnation of victory at games and being constantly creeped out by how far he'll go to win at a children's card game" helped the whole thing feel a bit better in my opinion. And they built up his invincibility on purpose so that when Yugi(real one) beat Atem, it felt like a huge achievement.

Yusaku is not really a problem so much as a huge "...Eh" for me. Dude feels like a Skyrim protagonist in terms of expressiveness and motivation, he's just sort of there for me. VRAINS doesn't really have any characters I care about, I only cared about Gore and his pro wrestling persona and wellllllllllllllll.

Don't forget that Yusaku is given plot armor since day 1

"If you lose, AI will be taken!"

So there's zero tension, if he loses, the show ends.

Same happened to Yuma and Astral

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it took me out of it for a while, with all the crazy shit she's done in such a short time, that why hasn't anyone mentioned her before? It was a nice touch that with the
time travel shinanigans they effectively made a seperate timeline when her mom got spok to save her as a kid.

and in the season finale
They send Micheal and her crew into the future and everyone left in the present vow to never mention them again basically

It's funny though, as someone that never got that much into Star Trek I kept thinking "how does this fit into continuity?" ...but I don't even know the continuity so why was I so concerned about it lmao