Which is worse: Watching a game instead of playing it or listening to an audio book?

Which is worse?

• Watching people play games instead of playing it yourself.

Votes: 492 60.5%
  • Hearing people read you a book instead of reading it yourself.

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • Eating In-N-Out instead of Shake Shack.

Votes: 248 30.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
A person in a group chat I'm part of had very strong opinions about Kingdom Hearts 3, saying it's complete garbage. Someone asked what system he got it for and he revealed he saw a play through of the game on Youtube.

My first response naturally was, "what is wrong with the world".

But it reminded me of a time I told a friend I had listened to the audio book of a novel she recommended and she was appalled. "It's not the same!"

So what do you consider to be worse? Watching a Youtube play through of a video game or listening to an audio book?

Jan 3, 2018
An audiobook is not the same as reading a book, but it's far more similar in terms of what you get out of the experience than watching someone play a game. Interactivity is the entire point of the medium.

Oct 25, 2017
Neither is bad at all...you do you. If you enjoy watching more than playing, or if your lifestyle is more conducive to listening instead of reading, enjoy.

Oct 1, 2018
Audio books can be relaxing when I'm not in the mood for reading and I want a bed time story :v

Watching youtubers and twitch streamers play games I could be playing myself instead has always seemed weird to me but hey people enjoy different things.

Oct 30, 2017
Gaming is an interactive media, I don't understand the deal about watching others play instead of doing it yourself.
My opinion

Jan 8, 2019
I can't imagine anything wrong with Audio books. Only people who'd speak out against it are elitist with actual time to read that enjoy judging the poor soul that spends 2 hours in traffic each way.

Oct 27, 2017
I listen to audio books all the time. Great for car rides and while I run. You should probably not concern yourself with how others take things in, and not let someone else judge who you experience something.

Jan 28, 2018
A person in a group chat I'm part of had very strong opinions about Kingdom Hearts 3, saying it's complete garbage. Someone asked what system he got it for and he revealed he saw a play through of the game on Youtube.

My first response naturally was, "what is wrong with the world".
There's nothing wrong in that.

You can clearly see if you like a game or not by watching a livestream or a videogameplay lol

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either one is inherently "bad", but watching an entire playthrough of a game as opposed to playing is going to lose something in the process since games are interactive. You're not getting the same experience that you would if you actually played through the gameplay sections yourself.

Reading a book or listening to an audio book are pretty much the same experience no matter which one you pick. You're still taking in the story, whether you read it or listen to it doesn't make much of a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy watching others play video games, either because I'll never have a chance to play them myself, or never have the drive/time to get into them. It's fundamentally not the same as playing a game, but you do get something out of it all the same. If I really wanted to play a certain game, I'd just play it instead of watching, though.

And, I dunno... Audiobooks just seem like a straight alternative to me. I don't use them but I get it, and see nothing wrong with listening to them.

Jan 10, 2019
Audiobooks when driving or doing menial work is great. For someone to have such a strong opinion against it is really pathetic.

Oct 25, 2017
not that you cant have reasons for watching a game instead of playing it, but due to the gameplay nature of games, you can't absolutely compare watching a playthrough with listening to an audiobook, reading or being read to serves the same purpose of relying the story to the public, not playing a game means you're not consuming the game as it is meant to.

Nov 16, 2017
How is listening to an audiobook any similar to watching a game? You process a book the same whether you read the text or have the text spoken to you.
A game is fundamentally different when watched versus playing it.
OP are you okay? Do you need help? I can get you something from the store if you need it.

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have a 45 minute commute to and from work, and audiobooks have changed my life! In the last 2 years, I've listened to all of the Wheel of Time and am almost done with everything by Sanderson.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly can't get into audiobooks. My mind wanders too much. I think the only time I was able to focus was on a drive from LA to Vegas, but since my normal morning commutes are only 10 minutes, audiobooks make no sense. I can't listen to them while working because I can't focus, and listening to them at night before going to bed puts me to sleep and I miss out on a chunk of the story. It's a lose-lose for me. LOL

I like watching games that are entertaining but I have no interest in playing (like Rocket League or Apex Legends).

And I'll take The Habit over In-N-Out.

Oct 27, 2017
I do not think that any of these things are bad. If I was to reformulate the question, we could ask which substitute makes you loose more of the experience of the original? For this question the answer seems to be obvious to me: watching games gives you only a very basic idea of how would it be to actually play it. Listening to a book does not differ much from reading it (if it is a straight audiobook, without addition of sound fx), because the main aspect of the medium is preserved: you interpret the story only via medium of text.

Nov 1, 2017
Iowa
Both are enjoyable. I don't need to do audio books because my commute is so short, but I bet I would if I had a long commute. I am not really into watching others play games, but I've enjoyed watching Summit play Sea of Thieves recently, so I get it.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Neither are bad, people need to get over themselves if they think there are issues with either of these.

I listen to audio books because I can't read during transit. I watch lets plays/long plays because sometimes I have other stuff I need to do in my life and I want to enjoy/re-enjoy that video game.