• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is worse?

• Watching people play games instead of playing it yourself.

Votes: 494 60.6%
  • Hearing people read you a book instead of reading it yourself.

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • Eating In-N-Out instead of Shake Shack.

Votes: 248 30.4%

• Total voters

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
A large aspect of video games is the interactive element. Generally it makes the experience better. With audiobooks, the only real difference is hearing another person say the words instead of the voice in your head, other than that the experience is the same - arguably in some ways better because you don't have to deal with eye strain or being less comfortable than if you had to get into a reading position.

Totally two different things.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The worst poll I ever seen here. Everything is just wrong.

tumblr_mby0uuATEu1rwkx4n.gif

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to an audio book is not really comparable to watching someone play a game, IMO.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Well, I have a friend which lost one of his arms in an accident. He was working and a runaway car crushed his door.

He was a great fan of games, and after his recovery, his motor coordination wasn't the same, even with the physiotherapy. He still continued to work and was a great fan of JRPG's and Hack'n Slash games, and he started to ask his friends to beat the games that he wanted to play and coudn't. I've played together with him games like Devil May Cry 4 and Kingdom Hearts: BBS.

These days he was his family and our encounter times was restricted to some tabletop RPG's on his house with friends once in a month. But believe me, the time that we passed together was magical for me, for him, for our friends and his family. So, I think that watch a gameplay is pretty much valid, and people that want to listen their books while doing some activity, like traveling or in the gym, are valid too.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Still baffling why anyone would watch someone play a game instead of playing it themselves. Never got it, never will. Audiobooks are fun if it's a slight read thank comedian memoirs like BossyPants.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Still baffling why anyone would watch someone play a game instead of playing it themselves. Never got it, never will.

That's fine and that's your prerogative.

Just try not to confuse your take with the millions who enjoy and find entertainment in watching others play.

Hell, I don't get water-polo. Or at least, I don't see the draw. But it's not lost on me in the least why others might.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
That's fine and that's your prerogative.

Just try not to confuse your take with the millions who enjoy and find entertainment in watching others play.

Hell, I don't get water-polo. Or at least, I don't see the draw. But it's not lost on me in the least why others might.

Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled. Just because millions like it doesn't mean I think it isn't incredibly stupid. But hey you do you.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I listen to audio books when I can't read, like when I'm driving to and from work.

If I have time to sit and watch a play through then I have time to play the game.

The two aren't the same.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Both of those things can be great actually. They offer unique experiences that are quite separate from playing and reading.

What is this ignorant thread? This closed-mindedness is making me question the time I spend trying to find worthwhile perspectives on ERA.

I don't know if it was actually better on GAF, or if I'm growing more sensitive to the bullshit, but things feel different. Time to take a break.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled. Just because millions like it doesn't mean I think it isn't incredibly stupid. But hey you do you.

Agreed.

Like I said already, feel free to think Let's Play vids are stupid as you like. Millions will think otherwise.

Spoiler: Neither of you are wrong.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Reading resetera instead of being productive.
Even worse: posting.

Literally the only relevant post in this entire thread.

I was under the impression OP was debating if it was worse to watch gameplay of the game or listen to the audiobook of the game's novelization, not just audioboks in general.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Watching games being played by others.

The gist of a story can be conveyed by either the written word or spoken voice. A video games requires interaction to reach the outcome so you don't get the full experience by watching someone else play.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to an audio book is not really comparable to watching someone play a game, IMO.
Indeed. One is interactive where you make your own choices, the other plays out the same whether you listen to it or read it yourself.

Never understood how people could watch someone play a completely new game they're going to play themselves instead of playing it first. Intentionally spoiling the game for yourself. There are plenty of games i'm probably never going to play that i'm fine watching someone else play though, and i watch Twitch regularly. Usually catch the VOD's when i'm done playing myself.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My initial thinking was such that... who cares.

Thinking it through in more detail I feel it's appropriate for both of the circumstances bear it to be. If you're consuming audiobooks because you have reading issues, great. If you consume audiobooks because you're lazy... not cool.

For games, if it's a competitive game, watching makes a lot of sense. Watching someone play Mass Effect or Spider-Man? That's a big no from me.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like there is nothing inherently wrong with watching other people play a video game, as long as you understand that it's a different experience than playing it yourself.

To kind of get at what OP is asking, the difference between watching a play through and playing yourself is larger than the difference between listening to and reading a book. That larger difference may indeed mean that criticism coming from someone who merely watches a game is less valuable than criticism coming from someone who has played the game, while the criticism from someone who listened to a book is almost identical in value to someone having read it on the page.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Audio books fucking suck. I'm ok watching someone else game, and even enjoy it (depending on the game and gamer in question) up to a point.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 45 minute commute to and from work, and audiobooks have changed my life! In the last 2 years, I've listened to all of the Wheel of Time and am almost done with everything by Sanderson.
Great choices. I'm almost done with everything Sanderson thanks to audiobooks.

1 hour commute each way to work plus countless hours on the weekend has allowed me to experience books I wouldn't have time to read outside of traveling.

I still don't completely understand watching someone else play a game though, especially if there are player choices that affect the story (Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, etc). I'll check out a portion of gameplay to see if I'll be interested. Outside of that, I'd rather experience the game/story on my own.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
d) Reading on internet forums about people complaining about other people's habits in their free time.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Audio books could be interesting for blind people, otherwise it's stupid

Meanwhile, watching Youtubers play games... That's even worse.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I still don't completely understand watching someone else play a game though, especially if there are player choices that affect the story (Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, etc). I'll check out a portion of gameplay to see if I'll be interested. Outside of that, I'd rather experience the game/story on my own.

Huh? Watching someone make completely different choices than you on their playthrough would definitely be an incentive to watch someone play...

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
1 hour commute each way to work plus countless hours on the weekend has allowed me to experience books I wouldn't have time to read outside of traveling.

Exactly! So many people on here are saying it's stupid. It's not like I'm sitting on a couch in my house listening to an audiobook instead of reading it. I have 1.5 hours everyday where it's just me in a car. What else would I be doing? Music? I have around 5-6 hours in the office where I listen to music when I'm working at my desk. I have countless hours at week doing yard work, house work, grocery shopping, etc, where I would normally just be doing that task using both of my hands. Why not take those moments where I can't physically be holding a book, and use audiobooks to experience these great stories? Plus, some of the narrators out there are freaking amazing (looking at you Michael Kramer). But, to each their own.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, listening to an audio book is akin to reading a book, while watching someone play a videogame is akin to watching someone play basketball.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is with the audio-book hate? I've gotten through many books via audio just because it's easier to listen to them than read the text and mentally space out. Given that I'm commuting 1.5 hours a day, that's time towards at least something productive.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Audio books are fun to listen to at work and while I play multiplayer stuff with the sound low.

Let's plays are also fun to see other peoples takes or reactions to things as well. Same for speed runs just fun to watch.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
1)You don't play games every hour of the day or every game in the world. Sometimes it's nice to watch a game that you won't play or have it in the background.
2) I really don't mind audiobooks even though I have never listened to them. Sometimes being told a story is nice.
3)Stop making threads.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There's nothing wrong with either. You do you.
The wrong option would be an audiobook of a game guide / FAQ.

Shake Shack and In-n-Out aren't available where I live, so I can't comment on that.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
What if I already played a game tons of times and i want to see how ppl reacts to the game the same way i did?

i dont know, op feels just a troll

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I don't see how listening to an audiobook is a bad thing since you're getting the same information just in a different medium.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Fake over the top reactions are fun?
There are all kind of let's plays or walkthroughs. Obviously you're going to watch the players whose reactions you like or you watch a walkthrough without commentary.
I am pretty sure you knew this and just pretended to be stupid. Pretending to be stupid is fun to you?

johnsavage

Oct 27, 2017
Audio book are great for listening to when you couldn't otherwise read (or do anything else really). They're great for long drives or running. But then I've watched a video of a video game when I just wanted to see the story and didn't want to spend time/money to play/get the game. So I'm fine with both actually, but I guess watching a video game is worse?