• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is worse?

• Watching people play games instead of playing it yourself.

Votes: 494 60.6%
  • Hearing people read you a book instead of reading it yourself.

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • Eating In-N-Out instead of Shake Shack.

Votes: 248 30.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update:
uxvz5vQ.png

As someone who normally makes meetup threads and not "ResetEra" threads, I found this to be an interesting experiment with some interesting observations made. I just wanted to add some input for the half dozen people who ever find this thread in the future.

7eBY8Sk.jpg
2k0tI1h.jpg

Comparing watching a game and listening to a book may seem silly, but it essentially boils down to digesting media in different ways. Where as I would judge someone who consumed a single player game via watching hours on Youtube, a friend judged me for listening to an audio book. My personal take is that audio books are incredibly close to the intended means of consuming the narrative and, if purchased via Audible, etc. the author and publisher are still paid. Youtube on the other hand, denies developers money. In addition, the interaction involved in gaming as a medium is robbed when watching someone else play a game. In addition, where as one can multitask when listening to an audio book, sitting down to watch someone play Kingdom Hearts for 20 hours is no different than sitting down and playing a game for 20 hours.

Many posters seemed to only look at the thread title and not note I was asking about watching an entire single player game on Youtube and having the right to speak about whether or not the game is good. As result, a lot of people who watch tournaments or brief lets plays were flustered. Some audio book fans even felt attacked, even though my original post referenced me to listening to an audio book, and felt the need to defend audio books.

This lead to an interesting dynamic where 78 posters actually engaged the discussion, while 35 defended audio books, 8 defended watching a game's story entirely on youtube, 20 said watching games didn't make sense and the rest were either joke posts, complaints about the thread or personal attacks on me (a stranger).

This turnout was much different than the poll, where 492 people said watching games was worse, 73 said audiobooks were worse (eh??) and 248 opted for the joke than In-N-Out is terrible compared to Shake Shack. So it leaves one to wonder, are people more receptive to polls? Do people just not have the time to comment? Or are people who watch a single player game entirely on Youtube more likely to comment in a thread?

My takeaway: I honestly found it interesting that there are more than a handful of people who will watch an entire game's campaign on Youtube and feel that it's okay to then use that experience to partake in discussions about whether or not a game is good. While they still weren't the majority, it makes me wary of any recommendations I get from strangers. Also, there are some really angry people on the internet.

Original OP below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A person in a group chat I'm part of had very strong opinions about Kingdom Hearts 3, saying it's complete garbage. Someone asked what system he got it for and he revealed he saw a play through of the game on Youtube.

My first response naturally was, "what is wrong with the world".

But it reminded me of a time I told a friend I had listened to the audio book of a novel she recommended and she was appalled. "It's not the same!"

So what do you consider to be worse? Watching a Youtube play through of a video game or listening to an audio book?

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
An audiobook is not the same as reading a book, but it's far more similar in terms of what you get out of the experience than watching someone play a game. Interactivity is the entire point of the medium.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Neither is bad at all...you do you. If you enjoy watching more than playing, or if your lifestyle is more conducive to listening instead of reading, enjoy.

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how one of these things can be "worse" than the other. Let people do what they will.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Audio books can be relaxing when I'm not in the mood for reading and I want a bed time story :v

Watching youtubers and twitch streamers play games I could be playing myself instead has always seemed weird to me but hey people enjoy different things.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Gaming is an interactive media, I don't understand the deal about watching others play instead of doing it yourself.
My opinion

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I can't imagine anything wrong with Audio books. Only people who'd speak out against it are elitist with actual time to read that enjoy judging the poor soul that spends 2 hours in traffic each way.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I listen to audio books all the time. Great for car rides and while I run. You should probably not concern yourself with how others take things in, and not let someone else judge who you experience something.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
A person in a group chat I'm part of had very strong opinions about Kingdom Hearts 3, saying it's complete garbage. Someone asked what system he got it for and he revealed he saw a play through of the game on Youtube.

My first response naturally was, "what is wrong with the world".

There's nothing wrong in that.

You can clearly see if you like a game or not by watching a livestream or a videogameplay lol

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about videogames instead of playing them.

(Nothing wrong with audiobooks or watching LPs)

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either one is inherently "bad", but watching an entire playthrough of a game as opposed to playing is going to lose something in the process since games are interactive. You're not getting the same experience that you would if you actually played through the gameplay sections yourself.

Reading a book or listening to an audio book are pretty much the same experience no matter which one you pick. You're still taking in the story, whether you read it or listen to it doesn't make much of a difference.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy watching others play video games, either because I'll never have a chance to play them myself, or never have the drive/time to get into them. It's fundamentally not the same as playing a game, but you do get something out of it all the same. If I really wanted to play a certain game, I'd just play it instead of watching, though.

And, I dunno... Audiobooks just seem like a straight alternative to me. I don't use them but I get it, and see nothing wrong with listening to them.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Audiobooks when driving or doing menial work is great. For someone to have such a strong opinion against it is really pathetic.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
not that you cant have reasons for watching a game instead of playing it, but due to the gameplay nature of games, you can't absolutely compare watching a playthrough with listening to an audiobook, reading or being read to serves the same purpose of relying the story to the public, not playing a game means you're not consuming the game as it is meant to.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
How is listening to an audiobook any similar to watching a game? You process a book the same whether you read the text or have the text spoken to you.
A game is fundamentally different when watched versus playing it.
OP are you okay? Do you need help? I can get you something from the store if you need it.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Shake Shack is overrated and overpriced. And that's from someone who's never tried In-n-out. Culvers does what Shake Shack does better.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have a 45 minute commute to and from work, and audiobooks have changed my life! In the last 2 years, I've listened to all of the Wheel of Time and am almost done with everything by Sanderson.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't get into audiobooks. My mind wanders too much. I think the only time I was able to focus was on a drive from LA to Vegas, but since my normal morning commutes are only 10 minutes, audiobooks make no sense. I can't listen to them while working because I can't focus, and listening to them at night before going to bed puts me to sleep and I miss out on a chunk of the story. It's a lose-lose for me. LOL

I like watching games that are entertaining but I have no interest in playing (like Rocket League or Apex Legends).

And I'll take The Habit over In-N-Out.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i just listen to audio about people who have played through video games and then make my opinions based on that

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Imagine actually giving a shit about this.

Do what you fucking want, lmao.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I do not think that any of these things are bad. If I was to reformulate the question, we could ask which substitute makes you loose more of the experience of the original? For this question the answer seems to be obvious to me: watching games gives you only a very basic idea of how would it be to actually play it. Listening to a book does not differ much from reading it (if it is a straight audiobook, without addition of sound fx), because the main aspect of the medium is preserved: you interpret the story only via medium of text.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Both are enjoyable. I don't need to do audio books because my commute is so short, but I bet I would if I had a long commute. I am not really into watching others play games, but I've enjoyed watching Summit play Sea of Thieves recently, so I get it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Neither are bad, people need to get over themselves if they think there are issues with either of these.

I listen to audio books because I can't read during transit. I watch lets plays/long plays because sometimes I have other stuff I need to do in my life and I want to enjoy/re-enjoy that video game.

Avixph

Oct 25, 2017
That person seems pretty reasonable to me. Let them do what they want.🤷🏻‍♂️