• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Between Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze, I still find myself jumping between all three as they each have pros and cons.

Google Maps: Probably the most robust of the three. Has pretty much all the features you'd want, but nothing too flashy.

Apple Maps: Had a rough start, but I've started to come around to it now that they added Lane Assist and is actually able to get you to where you need to go. It's big con though is that you cannot enter multiple destinations besides adding in predetermined points of interest. This edges out Google in one feature by showing two turns ahead beneath lane assist, very useful

Waze: I feel like Waze is the most creative app in path finding the shortest route maybe? Or it may just be a placebo effect. But it lacks lane assist, has ads that plop themselves on the screen if your car makes a stop, and is littered with all of these social features that honestly seem dangerous and may distract someone while driving. I've literally received notifications about other friends being "online" with a prompt to "beep" them or even message them(!!). Besides the creative pathfinding, it's greatest advantage is allowing users to pinpoint exact spots of accidents, crashes, construction, or police.

Anyway, which do you feel is the best? Did I miss any?

Last edited:

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Google maps is clear and easy to use and just works. I've tried others but always go back to my Google Overlord Masters.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Google Maps

I think it has the best aesthetics, and I like its pathfinding (which may not necessarily be the fastest, per se, but it's fast and doesn't make you do stupid shit like crossing huge boulevards without a stoplight to save a couple of seconds). I also like the way the voice directions are like, "In 1000 feet, turn right on First Street," as opposed to Waze, with it's stupid, "Turn right...in 1000 feet."

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only use Google Maps and I get lost constantly.
The second I pop out of a subway, the poor thing gets as confused as I am and then sends me the opposite way 50% of the time.

The other 50% of the time, I say "Alright, I'll go the opposite way because I know you're lying to me" and turns out it's the right way after all.

Either way, Google Maps gets me lost all of the time and makes me sad :c

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
GMaps is my savior. Time and time again. I'm not sure if it still does this but it's saved me hundreds of dollars by sybfingbmy emails and the maps. Plus the history is fun to look at for me.

Waze comes out during gridlocked traffic and when there's cops and long road trips. I usually run them at the same time, actually.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apple Maps has improved to the point that it's fine these days, and since everything on iOS (and Mac OS) defaults to that, that's what I use.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I use Waze.

However, lately Waze has been incredibly stupid. It's not giving me the best route, and when I sometimes break from the Waze route to get coffee it'll shave time off my trip. Why didn't you give me this ten minute saving route without me forcing you into it by making a turn you didn't expect?

Waze is on probation in my car.

Oct 30, 2017
Google Maps, it's clever enough to download maps of places it knows I'm travelling to, and the new custom shareable lists are great.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Waze is honestly the best around my area, it routes the fastest route every time. For long trips I use an actual GPS unit (Garmin)

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I like Google Maps, because it works perfectly and has a clean interface. Friends have been recommending Waze but if I were to use that I'd have to disable most of the pop ups if that's possible. It's very distracting and unsafe. It's good that everyone can add stuff and rapidly does, but I don't need to know about a parked car in the highway breakdown lane. It probably can get tweaked more to my liking, but I got a bad first impression.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Google Maps is my go to. The Maps Offline is a great feature, bot for home and away; I even pre-download areas before going to new places to save on data. Love that feature.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
Google maps. I used waze for a while and it took me on some pretty ridiculous routes to "save time" and it always took me longer to get where I was going. I just wish one of these navigation apps would alert you to traffic/red light cameras.

Halcy Caritas

Oct 26, 2017
Waze gets me to places the fastest by car. If the signal in an area is spotty, or I'm on foot/public transportation I'll use Google Maps.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Waze is the best for driving, especially through highways and big cities. Google maps is a good alternative, I haven't tried apple maps properly in years.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Google maps, I have never felt the need to try anything else. Its usually also better than the one built into my car

element

Oct 27, 2017
Google Maps 99% of the time. Waze if I'm out of town. Apple Maps if it loads on accident, which I quickly close.