• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Second best combat in the series?

• Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 33 13.0%
  • Kingdom Hearts CoM/ Re CoM

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Kingdom Hearts 3

Votes: 130 51.4%
  • Birth by Sleep

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • Dream Drop Distance

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Kingdom Hearts 2

Votes: 18 7.1%

• Total voters

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2 seems to unanimously feature the best battle gameplay of the series everywhere I look, but what about people who enjoy combat of other entries in the series?

I've seen some praise for the Original, BBS, 3, and even Re Coded, and I'm curious to know if there's any sort of consensus.

Long winded Nomura-like explanations are appreciated.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Going to give serious side-eye to anyone picking Dream Drop Distance. SERIOUS. SIDE. EYE.

I like the gameplay of basically everything in this order:

KH1 = KH3 (Aqua in 0.2 is particularly great) -> CoM -> Birth by Sleep ->-> 358/2 Days ->-> Dream Drop Distance -> ReCoM

I don't even count Coded/ReCoded because it puts me to sleep.

HV701Mv.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
3 is very distinctly the second best in the series. Keyblade transformations are a blast, and there is some good movement even if it never quite hits the highs as 2. BBS has some interesting ideas, but the actual melee combat always felt a little weak to me. Replayed 1 recently, and it's not bad, but it definitely felt older than a lot of the other entries.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
After 2 I'd say birth by sleep very versatile and fun, engaging and challenging.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 3. KH II and III are just so above the rest of the series in terms of combat imo.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Anything that is not kingdom hearts 3. Combat feels way too floaty and all you pretty much do is spam aoe attacks when your keyblades formchanges. Every damn keyblade operates this way.

i still enjoy KH1's feel good combat. The Cure spell however was ridiculously overpowered. Needed to be nerfed in the fm version.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
KH3 followed by KH1. BBS is okay but regular attacks are kinda pointless, DDD is just BBS but faaaaar worse (fuck that games combat). CoM is a card game so its not in the running for me. KH3 isn't perfect, but its far more in line with KH2 and thats a good thing. And KH1 is just proto-KH2. Its clunky and doesn't have those things that makes KH2 such an incredible game.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I prefer KH1 over 3 because KH3's felt sorta floaty and laggy after some moves. KH1 & KH2 were more weighty and felt snappy.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
1 Or 3
But 1 feels like a case of "it's so rigid so it's challenging" if that makes sense

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer 3 over 2 in almost every capacity. The floatiness and the lessened effectiveness of blocking are my only real complaints.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
1. KH2
2. BBS (lived the command deck
3. Re:CoM (I think the card gameplay is underrated, shame about level design)
4. KH1
5. KH3 (Haven't played Critical yet, so subject to change)
7. DDD

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
3. While it's totally lacking in difficulty it's still a lot of fun to play due to all of the tools that you have at your disposal.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Re:coded because it's like KH1 but with more options.

I haven't played KH3 since they added Critical but if that made it challenging then I'd pick that instead.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to say 3. Not mechanically or anything, as that would go to BBS. But fun-factor. Yeah, it was floatier than 2, but that's why we're calling it second-best.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Having only played 1, 2, CoM + Re:CoM, and 3

1. KH2
2. KH3
3. KH1
4. Re:CoM

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer 1. 3 is way too floaty for my taste. Fighting Sephiroth, Kurt Zisa, Ice Titan, Phantom and Unknown in KH1 are more fun than fighting anything in KH3 and the rest of Osaka team games.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
II and III are the only really good combat systems in the series, though Attraction Flow really hurts KHIII.

The GBA version of Chain of Memories would be up there too, but that's apples and oranges. Something about the transition to 3D really hurt Chain of Memories, but the 2D version is still solid.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Oh it's 3 easily. It's fundamentally very good outside of few very easily fixable quirks like osaka guard and lack of ability to cancel out. It's really fucking fun against fast enemies like Xemnas.

Rest of them aren't very good tbh.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
For me it's definitely 1.

I like KH3's combat too, but it sadly turned out to be a less polished version of KH2's combat. It "feels" less good because of a lot of minor quirks, like how small turning or parkour animations seem to take priority over Sora's movement, or Sora's new running acceleration, and so on. Or how e.g. Air Slide feels a little clunky because it completely stops your vertical momentum.
The new combat elements are somewhat interesting. There are a lot of keyblades with different forms, so you have a ton of choice in what you use. However, I felt it didn't really matter most of the time. Whether you obtain forms, grand magic, attraction flow depends on how you fight, but also on luck it seems. More interesting things you can do like switching stored forms during a combo are pretty cool, but there are not many battles that these options really matter in, and Critical Mode just makes the game tougher for the wrong reasons.

Meanwhile, KH1 does all of the following:
  • The combat has a lot of FF-like strategical combat elements. For example, there is a lot more emphasis on using the correct magic elements (the flying colored magic heartless absorb the wrong elements) and getting behind enemies (Large Body was way less difficult in KH2 and later games).
  • There are also some really cool spells (Aero, Stop, etc.) which are sadly missing from a lot of other entries in the series.
  • Polish. Sora's animations and hitboxes always feel exactly right for his movements. It's not as floaty as KH3 (or even KH2).
  • Smaller rooms to fight in, which I liked because you had to pay attention to where you jumped (e.g. not jumping off the whole thing in Hollow Bastion)
  • A coliseum to test your combat abilities, with tough and fun optional fights. A lot of cool bosses outside of that, too!
Yeah, I'm more likely to replay KH1 again than any of the other games in the poll.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
In a weird way, even though CoM and Re:CoM have very similar play styles, I would consider CoM one of the best gameplays of the series, and Re:CoM one of the worst. For people playing through the collections, going from KH1 to Re:CoM is incredibly jarring.

In the end, I'd have to go: KH2 >> KH3 > 0.2 > CoM > BBS > KH1 > Days > DDD > Re:CoM

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I had a tonne of fun with KH3's combat to be honest. I can get the criticisms about a lack of difficulty and spamming the attractions butan I had so much fun with it and how flashy it all was. I kind of couldn't believe it looked so good and played so well.

I'd say BBS has the second best combat after KH2 though.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Birth by Sleep combat is my favorite from the series.

BBS—>KHIIFM=KHIII—>ReCoM—>KH3D—>KHFM
KHIII and KHII's combat is fun but pretty safe, in BBS in the other hand you have to actually experiment with it to max your spells and skills, I love it.

KHMMO with BBS combat when

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Going to give serious side-eye to anyone picking Dream Drop Distance. SERIOUS. SIDE. EYE.

I like the gameplay of basically everything in this order:

KH1 = KH3 (Aqua in 0.2 is particularly great) -> CoM -> Birth by Sleep ->-> 358/2 Days ->-> Dream Drop Distance -> ReCoM

I don't even count Coded/ReCoded because it puts me to sleep.

HV701Mv.jpg

giphy.gif
i was gonna be mad at seeing CoM so high but then i saw you put ReCoM last so i can fuck with this

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Kh3s is ok but i really liked the more grounded methodical combat of kh1 so ill pick that. Doing the coliseum cup and having to know when to dodge and block against sephiroth was a revelation to me

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Birth By Sleep by a country mile. Command Melding, style changes, and the d-link system are fun as hell even if shot locks can be OP at times. KH3 would be second if the difficulty balance wasn't shit.

HeatKnuckle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love CoM on gba, I think the way cards work in that game is super fun to me. RE:CoM on the other hand...

SrirachaX

Apr 12, 2019
KH3/0.2 as second-best without a doubt. Honorable mention to Re:Coded for having a better implementation of the Command Deck system than BBS IMO

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well since KH1 has the best gameplay in the series I suppose the mechanical depth and raw action of KH2FM is a worthy runner up.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Someone remind me what is wrong with DDD's combat? Is it just Flowmotion or what
The enemies all suck, and there's like not a single good boss in the entire game, outside of how borked a bunch of moves are. Plus everything breaks out of your combos at random (which was a problem in BBS too, but not to the same degree).

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
3 for sure. I'm close to beating the game 10 times this year alone.

Though at the same time I really like 1 a lot. There is a lot more depth to it than you might first realize.

There needs to be more justice for Re:Coded though! I'm not joking when I say that's one of my favorite Kingdom Hearts games. It's also my personal favorite combat wise out of all the command deck games.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
BBS has one of the worst combat systems in the games. Thunder surge is hilariously broken. There's 1-2 moves that allow you to break the game.