Which Mission: Impossible films have the best cold opening/title sequences?

The best Mission: Impossible opening?

• M:I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M:I2

• M:I5 - Rogue Nation

• Total voters
Apr 19, 2018
Is there anything more cinematically hype-inducing than a Mission: Impossible opening sequence? From the attention-grabbing cold open, to that lit fuse that segues into the frenetically-charged title collage accompanying Lalo Schifrin's theme song, which ones are your favorites?

Mission: Impossible
"Did we get it?"
"We got it."

Mission: Impossible 2
"If I let you know where I'm going, then I won't be on holiday."

Mission: Impossible 3
"Ten."
"NOOO!"

Mission: Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol
"Light the fuse."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Mission: Impossible 5: Rogue Nation
"Hey! Hey!"
*yoink*

Mission: Impossible 6: Fallout
"What's done is done when we say it's done."

ZackieChan

Oct 27, 2017
They’re all so good, but 3’s is the best and most intense.
4’s is the most fun.
5’s is the most disappointing to me - for some reason the stunt just didn’t have the weight I thought it would when seeing the behind the scenes stuff.
6’s opening is a clunker, but the movie gets much better.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
3 Is so intense, it just pulls you in .
Then you stay in for that Seymour Hoffman greatness .

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
3's was just pure fucking tension. I remember getting so anxious seeing it the first time. RN and FO are both really fun, but not tense.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
3's opening is god-like. What a pitch-perfect way to set up the key protagonist, the key antagonist, their respective conflicting desires and stakes, their approaches to problems and situations, and the story's (purest-of-pure!) macguffins...all connected by a trio of rock-solid performances.

How can you watch the full intro and not think "I NEED TO SEE WHERE THIS GOES"

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
3 is just incredible. I love that movie so much. It's what saved the franchise after 2 and put it on track to become one of the greatest action series of all time.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Another important question is which movie had the best rendition of that famous theme song , and why the hell the version fromt 2 is so bad .

yuoke

Oct 25, 2017
Another important question is which movie had the best rendition of that famous theme song , and why the hell the version fromt 2 is so bad .
Ghost protocol's is great, but rogue nation's is the best at being an update on the classic fallout's version done with a slight minor note makes it intense.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Glad to see M:I3 is getting lots of love here. Definitely my favorite of the cold opens.

When it comes to fave versions of the title collage and theme song, though, I've gotta give it to Ghost Protocol. I love the extended length of the titles, and Michael Giacchino's arrangement is pretty terrific.

Yeah, I found Hans Zimmer's use of electric guitars to be questionable at best. Interestingly, I found the version that plays when Ethan approaches the 'missile' that houses the message to be quite excellent. I *think* this was the one arranged by Limp Bizkit:

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
The opening stunt in 5 is just amazing, especially considering how they pulled it off. That one wins for me.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of 4 and 5's opening but 3's gets me hooked like very, very few movies ever have. Title credits opening I give it to 1 or 4.

EDIT: Wait, when the hell was that MI3's opening credits with the customary spoilers? I only ever saw

Dec 31, 2017
This reminds me how insanely action packed MI: Fallout was. I felt overwhelmed by the end and had to lie down lmao.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Protocol. I love when Benji won't open the door and Ethan looks at the CCTV camera and shrugs.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
EDIT: Wait, when the hell was that MI3's opening credits with the customary spoilers? I only ever saw
Ah you're right! Re-watching the one I posted, it looks like it was indeed a re-edit on the part of the uploader. I thought they were showing far more of the plot than usual, heh.

Ghost Protocol. I love when Benji won't open the door and Ethan looks at the CCTV camera and shrugs.
That sequence was our first indication of the fun and often cheeky ride that was in store with GP. Also, that Dean Martin blaring in the prison. xD

Love them all tbh, but I have a soft spot for Fallout's intro.
Fallout definitely has my favorite segue from cold open to title sequence. Cruise's delivery of "what's done is done when we say it's done", to the injection that smash cuts to the lit fuse, is badass.

I was hesitant to do so at first, since I did technically label the thread as the best cold opening/title sequences 'plural' -- so as to not restric folks into having to choose just one. Plus, one might prefer the cold opening to one, and like the title credits sequence from another.

In any case, I went ahead and added a poll, so everyone go nuts. :)