• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best Mission: Impossible opening?

• M:I

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • M:I2

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • M:I3

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • M:I4 - Ghost Protocol

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • M:I5 - Rogue Nation

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • M:I6 - Fallout

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
Apr 19, 2018
Is there anything more cinematically hype-inducing than a Mission: Impossible opening sequence? From the attention-grabbing cold open, to that lit fuse that segues into the frenetically-charged title collage accompanying Lalo Schifrin's theme song, which ones are your favorites?

Mission: Impossible
"Did we get it?"
"We got it."

Mission: Impossible 2
"If I let you know where I'm going, then I won't be on holiday."
www.youtube.com

Mission Impossible 2 - Intro - Rock Climbing Scene

Ethan Hunt climbing rocks with his bare hands. At the top he gets the glass which shows him his mission.You can buy the movie from here: http://amzn.com/B001...

Mission: Impossible 3
"Ten."
"NOOO!"

Mission: Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol
"Light the fuse."

Mission: Impossible 5: Rogue Nation
"Hey! Hey!"
*yoink*

Mission: Impossible 6: Fallout
"What's done is done when we say it's done."

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're all so good, but 3's is the best and most intense.
4's is the most fun.
5's is the most disappointing to me - for some reason the stunt just didn't have the weight I thought it would when seeing the behind the scenes stuff.
6's opening is a clunker, but the movie gets much better.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
3 Is so intense, it just pulls you in .
Then you stay in for that Seymour Hoffman greatness .

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
3's was just pure fucking tension. I remember getting so anxious seeing it the first time. RN and FO are both really fun, but not tense.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i have a soft spot for the rock climbing scene, but three is just too strong to ignore

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
3's opening is god-like. What a pitch-perfect way to set up the key protagonist, the key antagonist, their respective conflicting desires and stakes, their approaches to problems and situations, and the story's (purest-of-pure!) macguffins...all connected by a trio of rock-solid performances.

How can you watch the full intro and not think "I NEED TO SEE WHERE THIS GOES"

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
3 is just incredible. I love that movie so much. It's what saved the franchise after 2 and put it on track to become one of the greatest action series of all time.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Another important question is which movie had the best rendition of that famous theme song , and why the hell the version fromt 2 is so bad .

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Another important question is which movie had the best rendition of that famous theme song , and why the hell the version fromt 2 is so bad .
Ghost protocol's is great, but rogue nation's is the best at being an update on the classic fallout's version done with a slight minor note makes it intense.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Glad to see M:I3 is getting lots of love here. Definitely my favorite of the cold opens.

When it comes to fave versions of the title collage and theme song, though, I've gotta give it to Ghost Protocol. I love the extended length of the titles, and Michael Giacchino's arrangement is pretty terrific.

Yeah, I found Hans Zimmer's use of electric guitars to be questionable at best. Interestingly, I found the version that plays when Ethan approaches the 'missile' that houses the message to be quite excellent. I *think* this was the one arranged by Limp Bizkit:

www.youtube.com

Mission Impossible II Theme Instrumental

I uploaded this, 'cause I didn't found it from here... Enjoy

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The opening stunt in 5 is just amazing, especially considering how they pulled it off. That one wins for me.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of 4 and 5's opening but 3's gets me hooked like very, very few movies ever have. Title credits opening I give it to 1 or 4.

EDIT: Wait, when the hell was that MI3's opening credits with the customary spoilers? I only ever saw

Dec 31, 2017
This reminds me how insanely action packed MI: Fallout was. I felt overwhelmed by the end and had to lie down lmao.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost Protocol. I love when Benji won't open the door and Ethan looks at the CCTV camera and shrugs.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 3 had the best opener. Ghost Protocol is my favourite film though

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
EDIT: Wait, when the hell was that MI3's opening credits with the customary spoilers? I only ever saw

Ah you're right! Re-watching the one I posted, it looks like it was indeed a re-edit on the part of the uploader. I thought they were showing far more of the plot than usual, heh.

Ghost Protocol. I love when Benji won't open the door and Ethan looks at the CCTV camera and shrugs.

That sequence was our first indication of the fun and often cheeky ride that was in store with GP. Also, that Dean Martin blaring in the prison. xD

Love them all tbh, but I have a soft spot for Fallout's intro.

Fallout definitely has my favorite segue from cold open to title sequence. Cruise's delivery of "what's done is done when we say it's done", to the injection that smash cuts to the lit fuse, is badass.

I was hesitant to do so at first, since I did technically label the thread as the best cold opening/title sequences 'plural' -- so as to not restrict folks into having to choose just one. Plus, one might prefer the cold opening to one, and like the title credits sequence from another.

In any case, I went ahead and added a poll, so everyone go nuts. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Apologies for the bump, but I figured with an all-new M:I film now upon us, this would be as relevant a time as any for continued discussion.

I'd be really curious to see how Dead Reckoning Part 1's cold opening will rank for folks in the coming weeks!

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Didn't realize Fallout's open was a callback to the original's opening. Huh.

Yup, this was such a cheer-worthy moment, especially for those remembered the original!

Over the years, I've come to appreciate Fallout's cold open so much more, just because it feels more like a denouement to the protracted opening sequence that comes before it. At sixteen minutes into the film, I was getting concerned that we wouldn't get the iconic title collage & theme song when I first watched it, making its eventual appearance that much more awesome of a pay-off.

Also: Wolf Blitzer!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYYFyQ_RzA&pp=ygUfd29sZiBibGl0emVyIG1pc3Npb24gaW1wb3NzaWJsZQ%3D%3D

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
3's opening is pretty great but somewhat soured by the fact that it's a pretty mediocre movie

I like 4's a lot with the prison break

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Bro what, I am Mandela Effected by this thread about MI3's opening. I would have bet the house of it being when Keri Russel gets brain-chip-exploded. I (claim to, apparently) love that movie too lol

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Bro what, I am Mandela Effected by this thread about MI3's opening. I would have bet the house of it being when Keri Russel gets brain-chip-exploded. I (claim to, apparently) love that movie too lol

That..... would have been one hell of a downer of a cold open lol.

Man, that Keri Russell death was fucking brutal.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
3s opening is one of the few scenes in the movie I loved. That opening rips. Best of the series

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
After seeing Dead Reckoning Part 1, I'd definitely rank its opening sequence on the lower rung of my faves. Like Fallout, it's a fairly protracted opening, but the payoff isn't nearly as thrilling or fist-pump worthy.

I absolutely knew the mask reveal was gonna be of Kittridge once I saw Ethan donning it in the background. ;)

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing's as cool as Cruise throwing his sun glasses towards the camera and them burning up as the scene transitions to the opening credits.