• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WORST balanced modern fighter?

• Street Fighter V

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Tekken 7

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • Smash Ultimate

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Mortal Kombat 11

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think a great thing about fighting games these days is that, as competition and esports have become more notable, balance has seemingly become more of a priority for developers. We see more balance patches these days, as developers attempt to make each character as competitively viable as possible, while maintaining their individuality (for the most part).

That said, some do it better than others. Maybe asking which is worse when it comes to balance is a bit silly in the wake of Tekken 7 at Evo Japan where 6 of top 8 was the same character (who did just get affected in a patch), but I'd like to consider the overall life of the game. Even though, I'd been hearing about Akuma a lot before then...

I think one of the standouts is Street Fighter V. Each season, people have complained about a certain set of characters, and many have definitely been problems depending on the season. But any time you look at a top 8 at a major, the variety is indisputable. And with season 5, I feel like the game is at the best place it's been, balance wise.

On the other side, for me I think it's FighterZ as the worst. What people argue is that it's just the nature of a VS game for balance to be wack, but with most characters having the same win conditions and the way the universal mechanics work, we always see the same handful of characters, and I got sick of it. Maybe it's because they're 2v2 and have a more "freeform" manner of assist calls, but MvCI and BBTAG didn't have as much of an issue as FighterZ has always had. While they've improved aspects of the game over time, it's always had the issue of a small percentage of the overall cast being the ones you'll see played in tournaments.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Whoop. It's easily DBFZ. Bardock and Kid Goku GT eras.

Most balanced goes to UNIST. Hopefully UNICLR doesn't mess that up.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
FighterZ stands out like a sore thumb in the modern wave of relatively balanced fighting games. Every season had something. S1 Bardock/Cell, GT Goku, Kid Buu.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right now it has to be Tekken7, with that Evo Japan top 8, 6 people used Leroy, heh.

Overall, probably dbz

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
SFV S5 definitely hit it out of the park in terms of character balance , at least at the very highest level of play.

Evo Japan SFV

1. DNG|Nauman (Sakura)
2. Mago (Cammy, Karin)
3. FAV|Sako (Menat, Kage)
4. NuckleDu (G, R. Mika, Cammy, Guile)
5. Infiltration (Juri, Menat, Kolin)
5. DNG|Itabashi Zangief (Abigail, Zangief)
7. Trashbox (Birdie, Ed)
7. YG|Machabo (Necalli)

17 characters and an even spread of every character archetype.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
Right now, TEKKEN 7, but the changes (nerfs) to Leroy will probably fix that imminently. I agree with the others on DBFZ being pretty imbalanced generally.

I think SOULCALIBUR VI is the most balanced current fighting game. I feel like with practice, every character in that game is in a pretty good place. This didn't used to be true, but in the current patch at least.

Oh yeah, I just started finally playing UNIST and so far it seems pretty well balanced too.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's not perfect, but I want to shoutout Smash Ultimate for being relatively balanced despite having 70+ characters and having to be balanced for casual play as well as competitive play. There's still stinkers like Little Mac, but on the whole it could've been a LOT worse.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
SFV is really damn good, Tekken 7 was good. Smash Ultimate is unheard of for the series in regards to balance and the sheer number of characters.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
My heart says bbtag, but it's probably dbfz. DBFZ's worst sin is it's base roster. The DLC fighters are all actually quite unique, but the base roster is so homogonized with how they operate that almost all of them are obsoleted by other characters. Worst yet, most of those fighters are better than a lot of dlc characters because that specific boring moveset is more reliable, and straight up better than some of the weirder movesets introduced later.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Less than 2 months ago, I would have said Tekken 7. But since then, something happened. Something that fucked everything up.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Its easily Dragonball. Tekken 7 would be the best balanced if not for Leroy being the biggest outlier of all time.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not perfect, but I want to shoutout Smash Ultimate for being relatively balanced despite having 70+ characters and having to be balanced for casual play as well as competitive play. There's still stinkers like Little Mac, but on the whole it could've been a LOT worse.
Yeah, with so many characters with most playing very differently from each other, Smash has done a good job of keeping things level. There are still some characters I hear a lot of complaints about, like Joker. But I see a lot of variety any time I tune in.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I love smash. Genuinely some of the most fun I've had with friends. It is also one of the worst balanced fighting games I think I've ever played.

There's a reason the competitive scene outright bans so much of it. Hell even in friendly matches you have to disable items to make it playable.

Many characters are simply better than others. Not even a question.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
God at this point?

Most balanced: MK11
Least balanced: SmUsh

It was interesting watching BBTag at evojapan as it seems like the 2.0 changes have fixed some things but broken others. Every match feels like you're just building to a sandwich set up and then you engage in poking out up down mixups while you left right mixup and if you land a hit, they die. I didn't realize that game got so TODish.

Best balanced is probably still Killer Instinct, right?

As an Aganos player, noooooooooo.

It's actually pretty good, but I think what got KI into balance trouble was the speed increase the gave the game after season 1, and then introducing characters who natively use that speed like shadow jago or Omen or Mira and have a lot more options than the season 1 characters. The result is a lot of characters who get left behind or have to work 10 times as hard to get in or sustain. The low tier characters in KI feel like they're on another planet compared to the higher tier characters

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Killer Instinct is still the best balanced, but SFV is right up there

Smash Ultimate is the worst by far

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I think you've gotta go by tournament results, so Tekken 7 is probably the worst balanced at this very specific moment in time. I'm guessing Leroy adjustments are coming sooner rather later though.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
who the heck thinks smash is the worst balanced game? that game continues to have varied character representation at its highest levels of play.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Killer Instinct is still the best balanced, but SFV is right up there

Smash Ultimate is the worst by far

Looking at EVO Japan results:

1. SST|Shuton (Olimar)
2. Kome (Shulk)
3. Tea (Pac-Man)
4. R2G|Paseriman (Fox)
5. GW|Zackray (R.O.B., Joker, Mario)
5. TG|Raito (Duck Hunt, Banjo-Kazooie)
7. KEN (Sonic)
7. Shky (Zero Suit Samus)​
9. R2G|Gackt (Ness)
9. ProtoBanham (Lucina)
9. Jagaimo (Palutena)
9. SNB|Abadango (Wario, Palutena)
13. R2G|Etsuji (Lucina)
13. Kirihara (Rosalina & Luma)
13. Tk3 (Chrom)
13. R2G|Kameme (Mega Man, Wario)​

and Genesis 7 results:

1. PG|Marss (Zero Suit Samus)
2. FOX|MkLeo (Joker)
3. eU|Samsora (Peach, Daisy)
4. PG|Esam (Pikachu)
5. MVG|DarkWizzy (Mario)
5. Maister (Mr. Game & Watch)
7. Rogue|Light (Fox)
7. Solary|Glutonny (Wario)​
9. NRG|Nairo (Palutena)​
9. CharlieDaKing (Wolf)​
9. Liquid|Dabuz (Olimar, Rosalina & Luma, Palutena)​
9. TSM|Tweek (Wario, Wolf)​
13. MuteAce (Peach)​
13. TG|MVD (Snake)​
13. DA|Sinji (Pac-Man)​
13. Cosmos (Inkling)​
How can that possibly be true? (I don't even care about smash, but come on now)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'd put Power Rangers Battle for the grid up there on best balanced, although it does it by making everyone being a little broken in ways

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly don't know how anyone can say smash is the worst when well over 40 of the characters are competitively viable, with really only the bottom 10-15being really bad. and on the high end so much of he cast is so close together.
im voting tekken the state of the game right now is embarrassing. Basically having a playable boss character right now.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put Power Rangers Battle for the grid up there on best balanced, although it does it by making everyone being a little broken in ways
That way of balancing can be fun. Persona 4 Arena was somewhat like that. If everyone has some crazy, then it equals out, but it can also make for an obnoxious experience.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That way of balancing can be fun. Persona 4 Arena was somewhat like that. If everyone has some crazy, then it equals out, but it can also make for an obnoxious experience.
Well in this case it being a living game helps. There's been mechanics added and overhauled and anything too obnoxious is fixed

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

I remember Ultimax being pretty broken though. Specially the Shadow characters

P4A is really underrated as a series btw. It's really fun, casual friendly and full of weird ASW mechanics that I love lol