• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of the BIG 2000s Animes Had The Best Female Characters?

• One Piece

Votes: 164 49.1%
  • Dragon Ball Z

Votes: 33 9.9%
  • Bleach

Votes: 93 27.8%
  • Naruto

Votes: 44 13.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Big 3 - One Piece, Bleach, Naruto

Forbidden Four - Same list + Dragon Ball Z

70eb47ef882fc693867f6539fa24e04a.jpg

naruto_girls_wallpaper_by_kaz_kirigiri-da1o9p2.png

One+piece+tokyo+girls_566606_6784217.jpg

J4gA361.png

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Never watched any of them others, but I really liked Android 18 growing up. Her arc was great and yah boy Krillin ended up with her in the end.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
None of them have great representations of women, but Naruto is probably the worst out of those.
One Piece probably has the most objectified designs, but it ironically has the best written characters. Nico Olvia is a top tier badass.
I also agree with this. Sadly, the women are often either lusted after by Sanji or someone for their good looks, or they're made super ugly as a joke.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball ended like 25 years ago

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(Never heard of this "Forbidden Four" concept? What's "forbidden" about it?)

One Piece, putting aside the designs, has my favorite female characters among these series and by quite a fair margin. Nami and Robin are both very cool and have some of the most interesting stories among the main character.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they all put out a pretty poor showing, but I guess either pre-timeskip One Piece or ... Bleach?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
why is it the forbidden four? Lol

One Piece would be my pick.

Naruto has nearly no women who do anything, same with DBZ except replace nearly with none

Bleach is actually quite a bit better, but also heavily sexualizes certain characters sooo...

e: I guess one piece does this too, but the characters in one piece are way more fleshed out

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I love one piece but I'm surprised it's winning so heavily

I would guess bleach wins here

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
I don't think I feel too good choosing any of them

Picked Bleach tho because Rukia might be the best character in the show and just all around cool

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer, given both the character posters selected and after a quick examination of the ultimate fate or current tasks given to those cast members, is "none of the above."

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
One Piece basically wins by default.

Which is bonkers considering how godawful and sexist the female designs are.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One Piece had actual characterization

The other two, over time, kept theirs relegated to set decorations most of the time

I'm excluding dragon ball because bro what it's not part of the big 3

That being said it's a low bar Shonen isn't typically kind or interesting with female characters

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
why is it the forbidden four? Lol

One Piece would be my pick.

Naruto has nearly no women who do anything, same with DBZ except replace nearly with none

Bleach is actually quite a bit better, but also heavily sexualizes certain characters sooo...

e: I guess one piece does this too, but the characters in one piece are way more fleshed out

One Piece's characters are super-sexualized way worse than Bleach.

latest

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
DBZ's females are nonexistent. They amount to Android 18, Bulma, Chichi and Videl.

Naruto's females are underutilized and they're all satellite characters outside Tsunade. But it objectively sexualizes its females the least from these four and most of the female characters are characters that I'd want to know more about and would be interested seeing them under a different writer.

One Piece has the best written females but also the most objectified. On paper, it's the best. In practice, Oda's drawings hurt his representation of females a lot.

Bleach probably has the best middle ground between having the second-best written females and the second-least sexualized.

So...I'll give it to Bleach.

One Piece and Naruto fighting for the next spot.

DBZ at the bottom.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
when i googled the big three DBZ kept popping up and i saw it one of the links as forbidden four. i'm not too attached to whether or not it's in this poll
Just googled it and saw it lol.
I like the idea of the "Big 3" as these manga/anime that were both extremely popular and came after Dragon Ball ended while being influenced by it so I'm kinda ehh on putting DB with them as one group. Not a big deal though obviously lol, just something I was curious about from the title.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Bleach I think had some decent female characters but outside of Orihime and Rukia all I really remember are like... variations of big, overly exposed boobs lol. For the most part none of the gals on that show left any kind of lasting impression for me outside of the main two. And I recall an entire ass long arc dedicated to rescuing Orihime so, again, lol.
I only ever watched a little bit of One Piece and I recall Nami being pretty great early on but I don't think I ever met any of the other girls and I've seen how they're drawn later in the series...;;;
DBZ I haven't seen since I was, like, 10. I remember liking Bulma and Launch during what I saw of DB, and Android 18 was p cool but... thinking back on it, outside of those three and Chi-chi I literally cannot remember any other female characters? I watched quite a large portion of the show, too. The girls were like negative important most of the time.

Naruto has pretty shittily written female characters, but by far the best designs overall and the least amount of sexualization. I'd take poorly written over boobie armor any day, so it wins for me. Also cuz I legitimately loved Temari, that girl was hella bamf! :D