• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 333 32.1%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 132 12.7%
  • Metroid: Other M

Votes: 37 3.6%
  • DmC: Devil May Cry

Votes: 131 12.6%
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Votes: 357 34.4%
  • Resident Evil 6

Votes: 48 4.6%

• Total voters

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
RE6 is my pick. Super fun action game with excellent controls and tons of content. It's the only RE game I replayed multiple times because it's so much fun. Sure, some levels are bad, but they don't drag the entire game down.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD
Never played all the game, but the controls are terrible.

METROID: OTHER M
Not played.

DMC: DEVIL MAY CRY
Finished and shelved. The game was ok, not as good as the main series, but the character is one of the worst ever...

FINAL FANTASY XIII
I liked some parts and not some others. Overall my less favourite FF. I liked Lightingh as a protagonist though.

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
A really great MGS and a great game, it doesnt deserve to be in this list.

RESIDENT EVIL 6
Why? Terrible game in everything.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot out of MGS4, especially in my second play through on hard skipping most of the cutscenes. The others I really don't care for at all.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
*small voice*

I had a lot of fun with Other M.

(but then I also had a lot of fun with FFXIII. I also quite enjoyed Skyward Sword (what I played of it, anyway)).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 isn't the controversial one, that's 5.

So I will go with Resident Evil 6 which is a great action horror and coop game.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
For some reason MGS4 won "Best game of 2001-2010" on the old forum. Of all the games, that one. Not even the best MGS of its decade.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII is the only FF that I'd consider nearly a bad game...but it's not terrible.

MGS4 I know was good gameplay wise but the cutscenes ruined it for me, and Skyward Sword I just found especially boring. Not played the rest.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Re6 and mgs4

DmC is a great game in its own right, that was only brought down by its association with the franchise. It also had some of the best level-design out of the entire series and the necessary weapon-switching was a fun mechanic to work around in hectic fights.

As for Dante's "charm", both versions are knobheads, knock it off.
Eh nah

Everyone in that game is insufferable, the combat even not associated with dmc is basic as hell. And the level design thing while kinda true isnt a high bar and isn't amazing outside of the color pallete.

DmC is like ok at best, nothing needs to be knocked off

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Resident evil 6...it was crappy by RE standards but I co-op all 3 main campaigns with my best bud and we had a hella good time! lots of take-out and laughs!!!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As an outsider(wasn't really gaming that gen) looking in, I would choose Zelda, at least it was kinda unique.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Eh nah

Everyone in that game is insufferable, the combat even not associated with dmc is basic as hell. And the level design thing while kinda true isnt a high bar and isn't amazing outside of the color pallete.

DmC is like ok at best, nothing needs to be knocked off
THANK YOU

I've never ever understood the argument that DmC's level design is excellent. It's better than DMC4 sure but doesn't compare to other actions games actually known for good level design.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
THANK YOU

I've never ever understood the argument that DmC's level design is excellent. It's better than DMC4 sure but doesn't compare to other actions games actually known for good level design.
I recently went back through that game to see what the vibe is. To see if I like could gain some newfound appreciation for the game. Them levels basic as hell. And to be for real you could make the argument that a lot of normal dmc level design serves its purpose of being a vessel from fight it's just that they are kinda annoying. DmC's levels arent annoying they are just kinda nothing. And I would make the argument dmc5 effectively achieves that while being a much more fun video game.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Resident Evil 6 is one of the worst games that I still kind of like, and the one I feel the most affection for of this list at least.

I think the general "it's a hidden gem! it's so wacky and over the top!" opinions are, unfortunately, overblown, and that sucks. Part of why I love Resident Evil 4 so much is actually the same reason a lot of people who love 6 love it so much. Lots of content. It's action packed, it throws you into crazy scenario after crazy scenario. Characters talk and act like what someone from outside of America might believe an American action hero to be based on a bad translation of an American action movie. It's a game about people with high charisma overcoming the odds and escaping a nightmare of a day. I enjoyed my time with 6 (haven't beaten it yet, and I do intend to, but I've gone through two and a half campaigns and some Mercenaries, so I think I've seen a good 2/3 of the game at this point), but the problem isn't that it's offensively bad or broken. Yeah, it railroads you into sequences where you can't do anything but walk, which is my least favorite game mechanic of the PS3/360 gen. Yeah, there's some really repetitive sequences, especially once the campaigns cross over. Yeah, when playing the game single player, the co op segments are really, REALLY tedious.

But honestly, I could overlook all that. I just hate that it stopped itself from being great by not picking a direction to lean. If it wanted to be a serious horror action movie vibe, it could have leaned even harder into being a compelling narrative that weaved in and out of each other while making sense (I saw elements of it, it just didn't commit). It got CLOSE but it went to surface level. It could have leaned into the wackier elements, kind of how RE4 is this rollercoaster of goofy situations with the occasional horror segment to remind you to stay grounded. It didn't thhough, but it flirted with it. The characters smashing zombie skulls in and trying to be Dante on the zombies that people share gifs of in defense of this game are still fun things to watch while playing. Piers becoming a zombie superhero is such a fun and tragic part of the game. The T-Rex zombie is probably my favorite thing in any of these action RE games. I wanted more stuff like that! If RE6 was going to be a wacky, Hollywood action game, then it should have leaned into it, and really pushed how ludicrous this series could get with the place the writers wrote themselves into by the end of the six main games. There's so much wasted potential, and the gameplay is fun but also is somehow outclassed by what came before it just two games ago.

And you know, on some level, I still respect this game. It attempted a juggling act that I haven't seen many series make (probably for good reason). It really wanted to appeal to everyone, and while I still think it should have picked ONE direction and refined it, for its own good, I still throw respect in its direction for trying something different. At the time, it was tone-deaf. In hindsight, this game was an interesting experiment while a series tried to find its place among the old fans who loved it and the ones who loved the action reboot they found on the Gamecube, AND the people who were flocking to series that weren't Resident Evil. Plus, there's some really good stuff here! For instance, I don't know how, but Chris's campaign actually made me like him. I HATED Chris before this game. After 6, I really felt for the guy. His descent was really compelling for me, even without a between games backstory. I've played as this guy for several games by this point, so to see he's losing people to bioterrorism in addition to all the other stuff he's seen, going all the way back to RE1, is powerful stuff to me.

RE6 a mess of a game, but it's a lovable mess, even when it loses any sense of... well, being a great game. If I can play through Resident Evil Revelations, another game that came out at the time and shares a LOT more in common with RE6 than people seem to be willing to admit, and still find stuff to like in it, then I'm going to continue saying I like RE6. I think this argument can be made for any game on the poll, but Resident Evil 6 is flawed, but it's unique and there's enjoyment, ironically and otherwise, to be had here. I'm picking this one.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I havent' actually played any of these except FF XIII that I dropped unceremoniously because the tutorial took forever and was incredibly unfun.

Isn't Metroid: Other M the one with Phantoom? I've always wanted to play it because of that particular fight.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I still don't understand why everyone hated Skyward Sword so much.
People don't like to move their arms while playing. Most common complaint I heard from friends : "I'm tired ! I want to push buttons not have a workout !"

I agree Fi was annoying and it was horrible having a notification after picking up the 500th monster claw. Glad they kept the crafting in Botw and calmed down in notifications.

But the dungeons were great, and I liked the story and characters even if the sky exploration was a bit weak - most of it was empty or uninteresting.

I enjoyed most of MGS4, but it was a caricature of kojima's self indulgence. The ratio of gameplay vs. cutscenes was almost comical at times.

As for the others games they managed to make me stop buying their respective franchises.

Donte in DMC has to be the most tryhard character of all times, absolutely despicable.

As for FF 13 - shit characters, incomprehensible story and soporific gameplay. And they made two sequels... that people bought.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Zelda Skyward Sword is my favourite 3D Zelda game after Twilight Princess. So easy vote.
ALso DmC is my favourite Devil May Cry game

I never loved Metal Gear games
FFXIII was bad
Resident Evil 6 was bad (and i loved RE5)
I never played Metroid Other M, but I'm not a fan of Metroid Games (never finished one)

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I've ordered them from most to least liked.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: My favourite game on the list, and probably ranks pretty high in my list of 3D Zelda games. I come to Zelda for dungeons, puzzles, and jolly vibes, and this game delivered. It's not without its flaws, like it is a game that uses a lot of words to say relatively little, but a little bit of patience for this was worth the trade-off to get to the good stuff. Motion controls took a while to get used to, but once they clicked, it was a cute gimmick that helped carry the game. It's a little weird that motion controls have such a big learning curve, since they were pitched to me as being intuitive and accessible, but that's more an issue with the technology at the time, and not so much the game itself.

Resident Evil 6: Didn't like it all that much at release, as I tried to solo it, but when I played it again in co-op, I had a really good time. It also helped that I roughly knew what order to play the missions in to have a smoother time. The wonky structure was probably a big contributor why I wasn't feeling it initially. Either way, the melee system was expanded on again, and really makes the game. Of all the games in this list, this is the one I'll probably replay again the soonest.

Metroid: Other M: Other M tried a lot, and a lot didn't really work, or was worse than what we had. Can't really fault it for trying though. As awkward as Samus' characterisation was at times, I do think it did a more faithful job at depicting Samus than the Prime games. Samus was finally back to her speedy self, which was dropped because it was incompatible with the first person perspective that the prior 3D games would utilise. The main thing I don't like about it is that it's a sideways Wiimote game, which wasn't the most comfortable on my hands for longer stretches. Still, as a Metroid Fusion-esque game, didn't mind it too much.

Final Fantasy XIII: I'm not the biggest fan of the FF10-style Final Fantasy games, but this was fine for a single playthrough. Battles are fun, art direction and music were as in-your-face and kitschy as I wanted. It's very linear, but FF10 prepared me for the hallways. The writing very Watanabe and Toriyama though, which is an acquired taste that I unfortunately don't have. It's fine if you tune out during cutscenes, because the game has a real need to repeat itself constantly. I assume it's because the game's pacing was not compatible with the story's. I guess the biggest strike against it is that it can be slow and a little dull.

DmC: Devil May Cry: For a list with Other M, FF13 and MGS4, it's amazing that this still manages to be the most embarrassing game. The gameplay itself is mostly fine. It's a streamlined, colour-coded DMC game with generous windows. Thought its control scheme was pretty interesting, and it did cool stuff with its environments. Unfortunately, the presentation layer of this game is obnoxious from top to bottom. The game places a lot of focus on its plot, which I can only describe as the stoner teen equivalent of a patronising political newspaper cartoon. Really simple, overplayed, obvious ideas presented in the most edgy ways they could think of, and for whatever reason still have the need they need to spell everything out in case you didn't get it. The game ends with a dev flipping the player off and skateboarding away, which I suppose was a fitting metaphor.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: I know a lot of people like this one, but this was the polar opposite of what I wanted from a Metal Gear. It's an overindulgent fan-service project that even made me like the previous games less. It tries to be its own game for maybe a chapter (or a chapter and a half if you're feeling generous), and then it just kind of gives up and starts masturbating to the sound of its own voice. Gameplay progressively gets scaled back to make room for more lengthy cutscenes after lengthy cutscenes. These usually serve no purpose other than explaining every single thing like it aspires to become a Wookiepedia, even if it didn't need explaining, or was already explained or implied previously. In between this nonsense, the game occasionally makes time to be misogynist for shits and giggles, like drugging a bunch of women with PTSD until they think they're in a saucy photo shoot. I don't know what changed between MGS3 and 4, but I was not a fan. Subsequent games did nothing to win me back.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Do I have to? I'm not a fan of any of these games and I've played them all.

Sigh, I guess I may actually go with FFXIII because it has a decent enough engine and the silliness makes me smile.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I love Skyward Sword so the choice was easy

it's also the only one of these I've actually played, so the choice was even easier

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Out of those six I've played FFXIII (which was very disappointing but at least had great turn-based combat and visuals going for it), Metal Gear Solid 4 (fucking awful, Kojima at his most self-indulgent) and DmC... which was AAAAACE!

I know what I'm voting for.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
MGS4 is fantastic and DmC didn't deserve the hate that it got. It was a great game.

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who had been begging for BotW's openness and unguided player freedom for generations, I've always had the highest opinion of Skyward Sword. You either learn to play ball with the controls by the time you get past the first Ghirahim skill check and enjoy the game, or you don't. I did. The whole stretch from Lanayru Mining Facility to Ancient Cistern to Sandship, including everything in between, is absolute perfection, with more variety and invention packed inside it than in any other linear sequence in the series.

In a post-BotW world it's interesting to look back on Sky Keep as the final word on the old 3D dungeon paradigm, which SS refined to perfection in so many ways. It's also easy to lose sight of how SS, like Super Mario 3D World after it, served as a summative anniversary game in its own time—a tribute to everything that had come before as if to say, my, how far we've come. Ultimately, I found that it delivered on its promise as the Wiimote's finest hour, the fullest demonstration of the scale of game the controller could fluidly support.

If I didn't hang around forums I wouldn't even have known there was a backlash. And I'd say likewise of another supposedly controversial Japanese masterpiece that isn't in the poll, Fire Emblem Fates.

Other M has serious problems—from the laborious pixel hunts to a decidedly un-Metroid-like structure that locks off 100% until after you've completed the main story, to a 3D-ness that is at best illusory when the map is still a far-from-intricate network of 2D corridors from the top down—but the concept of translating the swiftness and dynamism of 2D Metroid into third-person 3D was a fundamentally promising one that I wish hadn't died with this game. The scale of the blowback has unfortunately left its better accomplishments misunderstood. It may be the extreme expression of where I didn't want Metroid to go (doubling down on worrisome tendencies that were already present in Fusion), but I enjoyed clearing it to 100% and would be happy to do it again.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Even as someone who had been begging for BotW's openness and unguided player freedom for generations, I've always had the highest opinion of Skyward Sword. You either learn to play ball with the controls by the time you get past the first Ghirahim skill check and enjoy the game, or you don't. I did. The whole stretch from Lanayru Mining Facility to Ancient Cistern to Sandship, including everything in between, is absolute perfection, with more variety and invention packed inside it than in any other linear sequence in the series.

In a post-BotW world it's interesting to look back on Sky Keep as the final word on the old 3D dungeon paradigm, which SS refined to perfection in so many ways. It's also easy to lose sight of how SS, like Super Mario 3D World after it, served as a summative anniversary game in its own time—a tribute to everything that had come before as if to say, my, how far we've come. Ultimately, I found that it delivered on its promise as the Wiimote's finest hour, the fullest demonstration of the scale of game the controller could fluidly support.
Amen. Throw in some of the best music and one of the best narratives of the series, along with some superb bosses and dungeons, and Skyward Sword is not the raging bin fire some people say it is.

It absolutely needs to hold your hand less and it absolutely needs some fat trimming, but I found a lot to love in that game, even when I returned to it a few years later.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Skyward Sword is a better game than many beloved ones from that generation, tho I guess the expectations are a lot higher for Zelda games.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Other M has terrible writing and delivery for sure but what makes it an awful game to play was the insistence to use only 1 wiimote AND include 1st person aiming with the pointer. After the Prime games, Other M felt downright silly with stiff controls and restrictive design. The pixel hunts were another gameplay low.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Zelda Skyward Sword is pretty good and I enjoyed my time with it way more than I did with most of the other Zeldas.
It's charming, tells a good prequel story and has the best Zelda's design, plus the graphic style was excellent on Wii. I didn't mind the control either and the ost was a success. In my personal Zelda 3D ranking is above OoT, WW and TP for sure.

Edit: oh and Metroid Other M is not as bad as people say by any means, it's just that the standard quality for Metroid is very very high, so it's difficult to not disappoint sometimes.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword is one of my games of the decade -- beautiful, great dungeon design, motion controls are engaging. More linear than most Zeldas but I've never subscribed to the linear= bad dogma. I still prefer it to BOTW (therearedozensofus.gif)

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 without a doubt. It had great gameplay and still had that MGS touch to it that's missing in V.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Despite its problems, from wrong padding/pacing to how the game treats you as if you were playing a video game for the first time ever, I really liked Skyward Sword. But that's the case with all of Zelda games between OoT and BotW in terms of having somewhat big problems lol. It has some of the best dungeons in gaming. Imo Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. All of them are great games tho.

MGS4 has more wtf and awkward scenes than MGS1-3. Shooting mechanics didn't age well as aiming feels strangely slow and heavy. BatB squad are meh as bosses. And the story is fu**ed up. Good game nonetheless.

DmC is a good but I forgot about fast.

Other M is a decent action game but feels more forgettable than DmC.

RE6 is the weakest action-oriented RE game. And not so good action game in general as how the hit reaction is step down from 4 and 5 and it feels you are hitting sponge, thus creates the unsatisfying feel from using weapons.

Didn't play FF13.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Skyward Sword > DmC > Other M > FFXIII > MGS4

Haven't played RE6.

Skyward Sword and DmC are legitimately great games (I actually like Skyward Sword a helluvalot more than BotW, lol).
Other M was fucking stupid but it was still good fun.
FFXIII and MGS4 were just meh.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword is a legit good game. I will never understand the hate directed toward it, but even BotW has a very vocal hate contingent so I don't listen to haters anyway. Y'all's got some opinions that I'll just never agree with.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Thanks for reminding me how much of a slump the Japanese game industry was in during the seventh generation. There was also Tekken 6.
Out of Metal Gear Solid 4 is my favorite. I thought that game was actually pretty good.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword is by far the best standard Zelda, so I'll vote for that.
MGS4 and DmC are great games too, but they aren't the best in their series.