• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 333 32.1%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 132 12.7%
  • Metroid: Other M

Votes: 37 3.6%
  • DmC: Devil May Cry

Votes: 131 12.6%
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Votes: 357 34.4%
  • Resident Evil 6

Votes: 48 4.6%

• Total voters

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
MGS4 is the frickin' GOAT.

Kojima don't give a damn about your balance. Great gameplay, crazy story. If you ask me, MGS5 was weaker due to its lack of long, bananas cutscenes to help deliver a fun, over-the-top story with feels. Plus, the crazy stuff we were doing in 4 tho... maaaannnn :)

MGS3 is probably the perfect mix of gameplay and cutscenes imo and is probably the best game of the series. But my favorite still remains 4 because Kojima and crew said "f it" and I bought in hard lol.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Goddamnit OP! How can you make me choose between the best modern Resident Evil game and the two time GAF GOTY winner?!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Other M had a bad story and the unlocking of powers was bad, but I still enjoyed it. Shame it killed the franchise for many years, but now it seems they are back on track. :)

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I will stan for DmC till the day I die. Admittedly I got it much later in PC so it may have tempered my expectations, but it was a really enjoyable experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I kinda wanna vote for three of them! I went with Skyward Sword as I really enjoyed it and didn't quite get the issues others had with it.

So now for the slightly more controversial ones.

I had a wonderful time getting all the achievements in FFXIII when it launched, and in the inferior 360 version to boot. But I can accept the criticism of it being too linear for most of its run. That the story is a jumble of made up words with some characters just acting stupid to service the story and its daft tropes.

Okay and now the big one. Of course it isn't my favourite Metroid, not even close. But damn if I haven't done two 100 percent runs in the bloody game and had a great time doing them. Of course the story is a fucking travesty, specially with the way it treated Samus. And it deserves all the criticism in the world for it, but damn if didn't have a blast running shooting and insta dodging my way to
Phantoom

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Skyward Sword and FFXIII, gotta give it to Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is one of the weakest 3D Zeldas, but still very fun with some of the best dungeons. It is just way longer than it needed to be.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Skyward Sword is a masterpiece and I will die on that hill.

Linear =/= bad. The design of everything in the world in SS was intentional and as just a one-off game in the franchise, it was great.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Oct 27, 2017
While i have a few issues with the game i Maintain that Skyward sword is a high-quality game. Its combat ,story ,characters and Dungeons are easily worth the bad pacing and empty sky overworld.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Zelda: Skyward Sword, by a lot. Then Metroid: Other M (if you ignore the portrayal of Samus, it's a pretty fun game) with MGS4 in a close 3rd.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword is a good game, just with some flaws, eg Fi interruptions, somewhat overlong intro, and the bug [maybe?] where you get told what items are more than once. It's one of the weaker Zeldas, but that's all.

Other M is still a huge wart on Metroid's history, doubly so since it and Federation Force were the last two games released in the series.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Skyward Sword for me. I liked the motion controls. What I didn't like was the world design: the sky was nowhere near as fun to explore as the sea in WW and the ground regions made Hyrule feel disconnected and limited. Also didn't like the enemy designs, especially the Imprisoned which was supposed to be THE scary ancient evil but turned out to be a big toed dork. And yeah, handholding was at its worst here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword is a legitimately great game so that one.

I also liked MGS4 and RE6 but agree that they were underwhelming. I had fun with both though.
Agree skyward sword has the best dungeons in the entire series but so many are eager to shit on it cause motion controls

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword. At least the high points of that game are among the highest in the series. Many games aren't as good as they could be because something is missing, but in the case of SS, it would have been much better had much of the game been cut.

- Reduce the motion control implementation to just the sword fighting, the one thing that actually did work and made the game better.
- Trim all of the fat between dungeons. SS is one of the games most padded out by filler content.
- The over-tutorialization and hand-holding, just dump all of it or allow it to be turned off.

Do that, and Skyward Sword is maybe the best Legend of Zelda game. I can't say that about some of the others on the list -- they didn't really have any high points for me.

MGS4, RE6 and Other M were incredibly underwhelming games; bad ones too, for the most part. Other M would have been better without an asinine control scheme, but it would still be the worst mainline Metroid game. RE6 would have been better if it had only 1 campaign, maybe 2, but it'd still just be a shorter version of a bad game. Virtually everything about MGS4 was executed poorly, to the point where Otacon saying you don't need to switch discs is probably the only positive I've ever taken from the game. Massive disappointment after MGS3.

DmC was fine, but nothing about it really impressed me a whole lot or has stuck with me over the years. Didn't play FFXIII as I had no real interest in it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 is the only one I cared about among those I got around to for myself in spite of its many problems, and the last mainline Metal Gear I could be bothered to care about after wanting nothing to do with MGSV (the franchise ended with MGR for me, not an empty grimdark prequel in a neverending series of prequels answering questions I never asked). FFXIII wasn't and still isn't any good, its setting amounting to pretty wallpaper rather than a believable world (the Oerba ruins being the one place I can genuinely compliment), and its hyperactive combat wasn't remotely worth sitting through its nonsensical story or dealing with its disappointing cast. I'd have been done giving much thought to DmC and its failings if not for its few fans who didn't bother to save that ill-fated reboot constantly drudging it up to insist how much better it was than the original series, but the latter is back for good with DMC5 and Ninja Theory off minding their own business now anyway. RE6 was complete garbage that made RE5 look almost competent, RE much like the franchise born of it having also since undergone course correction with RE7 and REmake 2.

Didn't feel like getting Wii Motion+ just for Skyward Sword and missed out on the typical Nintendo manufactured shortage SE that included the control upgrade, my loss as I doubt it belongs on this list, and nothing could convince me to waste time or money on that Other M dreck.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Calling MGS4 controversial is.. a stretch, to put it as nicely as possible.

It's also my answer and in my top 10 games of all time.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
As much as I rag on SS I still enjoyed that game the most by a good margin from those listed. Despite doing a lot of things that were bad for a Zelda game it was still overall a really good, if not great, game.

Of the rest only MGS4 was a game I had interest in and enjoyed to any degree.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is the GOAT Zelda. It's basically the anti-BotW where in order to get to a great dungeon, you have to explore one or multiple other dungeons. Those were always the best parts of Zelda. Yes, it has a few flaws but those take up an almost insignificant amount of time in a massive adventure.

I enjoyed all the other games in the poll at their time of release but no denying they were a bit disappointing even if I consider MGS4 a great game. Skyward Sword though, not disappointing in the slightest.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Probably Skyward Sword. I hated Dowsing and the silent realm parts, but I enjoyed the rest of my time with it. Didn't mind the motion controls and really liked the graphic style even if it's hamstrung by the Wii hardware. It's a really small bit but I liked the few times you're given dialogue options - actually felt like link had a personality. Best princess Zelda in the series.

I liked MGS4 at the time, but I remember it being a chore to play through even then.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for MGS4 - its story is largely convoluted nonsense but its gameplay is some of the best in the entire series. It's a very solid modernization of MGS2/3's mechanics. Also I am a sucker for fanservice so I loved the Shadow Moses bit.

Likewise, I will never defend the sexist drivel that is Other M's plot but I remember generally enjoying the game itself. I like how it captures the speed and mobility of the 2D Metroids in a way the Prime series didn't.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I had more fun watching the extended trailer for MGS4 on IGN's media player in 2007 than playing RE6

Jun 24, 2019
Skyward Sword is an incredible game. If only the buggy motion controls and repetitive item-pick up descriptions were removed, it could've been more well recieved.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword is my favorite out of that list by a lot, but I also enjoyed FFXIII.

Other M is the only other game on that list that I've even played (for about 2 hours) and it wasn't great, but I didn't get to any of the parts that have given it its reputation. I have no opinions about the other games on the list.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
There's nothing controversial about Metal Gear Solid 4. It's a widely popular game that a small contingent of haters can't stand seeing praised.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm one of those weirdos that loved Skyward Sword, largely for its characters, HUB in the form of Skyloft and its mood. Thought it played just fine even as someone who was down on Wii's motion controls once I got familiar with the tech prior to/at launch and it didn't match up to what the Revolution was in my head. I was disappointed in Nintendo's console offerings during the Wii era, and Skyward Sword (ironically, due to how divisive it is) had me leave it on a positive note.

Besides DmC (which I was neutral on, but hopeful about as a casual Ninja Theory fan), I was hyped and let down by all the other games to varying degrees. Probably the one that was most frustrating was FF XIII from a years of hype to letdown ratio.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The inclusion of Metal gear ruins the poll. It's nothing like the other options and back in the old place it won GOTY twice.

The OP has projected their own feelings as popular opinion. Weird stuff. 🤷‍♂️
I fucking love MGS4. The game is in my top 20 of all time. I am defending it on here all the time. But there is no question that, relative to the first three games in the series, it is controversial as fuck among the fanbase.

When I made my LTTP of the game last summer, it was filled with people who hated the Game replying.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I honestly enjoyed Skyward Sword more than BOTW, probably because I played it with an emulator at full HD and also mostly because of the soundtrack.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I answered this question really by looking at it - that if I had to play any of those games right now, it would be DmC. Especially since I just can skip those terrible cutscenes and not see Dante try to tell us how cool he is because he gets blowjobs in the back of a car. Man 2012 was a long time ago.

The other games simply just haven't aged as well. MGS4's controls would probably be so annoying right now especially after playing MGS5.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
For me its between ff13 and dmc with re6 somewhere down the way

They were not up to par with what i expected or wanted but they were still fun with great production values.

Bioshock infinite should be on the list. Tlou ate its lunch only months afterward despite being similarly approached with the core dynamic with the story