• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one of these will sell the most?

• Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (Xbox One version)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (Playstation 4 version)

Votes: 45 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 or Super Smash Bros Ultimate? Both are obviously huge titles, and I know they are in no way similar to each other, just curious to see what people think.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 obviously for being multiplatform and releasing on consoles with much larger userbase.

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead, even if Smash is likely going to be one of the biggest Nintendo launches ever.

Rockstar flexes their marketing budget a lot more

Zippro

May 20, 2018
You're comparing an exclusive to a multiplat. Smash'll sell gangbusters for sure, but no way will it be able to compete with RDR2 when it's on two consoles, has Rockstar's marketing, and has the potential to hit PC. You might as well ask "Which'll sell more, GTA6 or inFAMOUS 4?"

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely RDR2, it's no GTA juggernaut but it's pretty close. And it's multiplatform.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
smash will do 16 million lifetime since its on 1 platform

red dead is on 2 platforms + will probably get released on pC in the future so yeah...its pretty obivous

Oct 27, 2017
If I was to guess Red Dead Redemption 2, by a significant margin. It isn't locked to one platform, it has a huge amount of hype and R* just came off the back of one of the most successful entertainment releases of all time (GTAV). Smash Ultimate will do very well but I think Red Dead is gonna be #1 in game sofrware sales this year even over COD and remain as a top seller for the next year.

Aug 27, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 or Super Smash Bros Ultimate? Both are obviously huge titles, and I know they are in no way similar to each other, just curious to see what people think.

RDR2, multiplatform, and it's a Rockstar game...GTA 5 made like a billion dollars in a week. Nintendo first-Party sells well, but they don't do Rockstar numbers.

thesaint08

Apr 23, 2018
Is this serious? Under what possible set of circumstances could Smash outsell Red Dead Redemption 2?

Last edited:

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Smash will be huge, especially in the US (don't know how popular it is here in Europe, but I guess it is weaker) (never liked that IP personally, think Nintendo has way better IP's).

But RDR2 is on another level (with an install base of 135 million PS4/One).

I'm sure it will be the best selling title of the year.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
How much did RDR1 sell? I'm guessing Smash will sell somewhere around 15m or so, and RDR2 will probably sell more than 1.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
RDR. Its not even a contest.

Its on 2 consoles, and is likely coming to PC in a year or 2. Even if every single person that owns a Switch buys Smash, it won't come close to the numbers RDR2's going to pull in. Especially once the Online is in.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Honestly day one sales of RDR2 might be close to Smash all time on the Switch, game is going to smash records.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
ad0f45_34f2f5b348964eae86987ef7d6625cdf~mv2.webp

This is pretty funny though from the latest https://www.eedar.com/eedar-blog/2018-q3-round-up

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
RDR2 by a wide, wide margin. It's cross platform on a pair of platforms that each have sold more than the Switch, and when it gets to PC sales will skyrocket even further. Smash will be lucky to get 1/5 the total lifetime sales of RDR2.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is a Rockstar game (the first new game from them in over 5 years, in fact) and on multiple platforms (and will surely come to PC). Smash Bros. will sell 15-20 million units and be the best performing SSB title by a significant amount, but it's not touching RDR2 for the reasons mentioned.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Exclusive vs multi-platform. I know Nintendo holds a couple of slots on the best selling game of all time list full of multi platform games, but Red dead is on multi platform and the switch hasn't reach enough people yet to compete with the Read Dead. That being said smash is gonna be the best selling fighting game this gen easily.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead.

Wouldn't be suprised if the PS4 Version alone tops Smash.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I think SSBU could likely beat an individual platform in sales, slightly. That being said, there's no way even a first party Switch title could outrank a high profile 3rd party game privy to all remaining consoles that generally have a fanbase who wouldn't buy on your platform anyways

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash will continue to sell throughout the Switch's entire lifespan, the current install base isn't that important. 15m won't happen in a month or even a year, but I don't think it's that unlikely in 3 or 4 years.

15 million is pretty much a lock, unless the game is a disaster, which it won't be, because Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.