• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better boss fights?

• God of War

Votes: 600 65.0%
  • Zelda

Votes: 323 35.0%

• Total voters

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Both these franchises are known for amazing and spectacular boss battles- by my reckoning, these two are responsible for some of the best boss fights ever. But which one do you think does bosses better, and why?

For me, it's God of War, mostly because the sheer sense of scale and scope is so magnificent.

Also I really like the QTEs (yeah, I'm one of those people). No joke.

Also if anyone says Metal Gear Solid I will lose my shit. It's a good answer but that's not my question.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
God of War probably just because of the sheer scale and fucking ridiculousness. The charm is both hilarious and satisfying.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda would be my answer if they were more challenging. For me, it's God of War by a hair.

The real answer is Souls

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For my money, Zelda. God of War's fights are epic and have an incredible sense of scale, but Zelda's boss fights have been industry defining, and bosses are defined with respect to how Zelda handles them. In fact, one of BotW's most egregious crimes was how badly it bungled its bosses, for a series that is known for its bosses.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks.

The animations in GoW are awesome but...that's only part of it. Tbh Spider man Vs Doc-Oct in Spiderman 2 was my favorite choreographed fight in media period.

Ultraman Belial vs the Ultras in The Ultra Galaxy Legend move is second.

RazielCr_

Oct 27, 2017
I would say God of War but i don't see how you can compare both series, they are really different and GOW is more "action" oriented so...

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I have to give this one to God of War.

Zelda has like only 5 memorables that I can name right now (Koloktos, OoT Ganon, WW Ganondorf, Demise, Ghot)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, God of War easily. I don't remember any boss fight in Zelda that has been memorable at all. Some have cool tracks like Phantom Ganon in WW, but after that... They are too easy.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Zelda, with the exception of BotW where I found the bosses pretty meh. PARASITIC ARMORED ARACHNID GOHMA! And fuckin' yeti wife, bro. Yeti wife...

087.jpg

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I've never played a GOW game but from the Zelda games I've played the bosses usually have a very specific strategy you have to use, like throwing a bomb into king dodongo's mouth, with little room for deviation, which I really don't like

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a GOW game but from the Zelda games I've played the bosses usually have a very specific strategy you have to use, like throwing a bomb into king dodongo's mouth, with little room for deviation, which I really don't like

Fortunately, they're moving away from that. Just gotta' make the bosses themselves more interesting next time .

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I expect most will say GoW from what I understand of the games, I haven't played any of the GoW games so I can't really compare.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They started doing that in BotW.
... they didn't do it all that well.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
It depends on my mood. God of War boss fights are more action based while Zelda bosses feel more like puzzles.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really pick one since the only God of War I played was the first one.

Which my biggest compliant was there like only 2 bosses the entire game. Both which were lame.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on my mood. God of War boss fights are more action based while Zelda bosses feel more like puzzles.
Yeah, I think this comparison isn't strictly 1:1, because they both go for very different things. Zelda bosses are lock and key puzzles that serve to test your mastery of the application of your newest abilities, God of War bosses are action setpieces.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
This is a no brainer. Zelda of course

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Isn't one of the main part of GoW is going up against huge, fantastical bosses?

Zelda has great bosses but I don't think they can be compared. I haven't played GoW personally but just from videos I've seen... It doesn't look close.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I love the Zelda series, but I gotta admit, the first boss for both GoW2 and GoW3 were something else, that I don't think any other Boss Battle have topped. So, GoW for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware zelda was known for boss fights lol. In all the zeldas I ever played it was finding the tool the thing was weak against (usually the one you just got in that dungeon) and using it 3 times in a row, nothing special. God of war wins this by default really.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on lol at least use something like devil may cry or dark souls or something. Zelda has nothing on GoW when it comes to boss fights.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought of any Zelda having particularly jaw dropping boss fights, I've played OoT, WW, TP and BotW, bosses were serviceable, but barely stands up to the awe inspiring bosses of GoW or even Shadow of the Collossus.

GoW by far. Zelda is not known for it's bosses, GoW is.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably have to give it to Zelda but tbh the old God of War games never did it for me so that plays into it. also Zelda has so many games that there's so many to choose from. plus all the stylistic and mechanical differences between each game in the series plus the top down games and the 3D games. the breadth and variety is too much.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I've played all the Zelda games sans some of the GBA/DS ones and all the God of War games (sans Ascension which I just played a demo of)

I can't remember an awesome boss fight in God of War outside of the Hercules one in GOW 3. Granted I didn't play the first two games until PS3 several years later, so I wasn't graphically blown away by those two or nostalgic for those boss fights.

Zelda has a bunch. Just all the Ganon/Ganondorf fights alone are better than GOW's whole rogues gallery of bosses.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
God of War, but not because of the over the top scale fights like Poseidon, Kronos, or Colossus of Rhodes. Those are fun to look at, but not as satisfying as the humanoid fights like Hades or The Sisters of Fate. I like Zelda bosses, but they are for the most part disguised puzzles.