• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ST or PT?

• Sequel trilogy

Votes: 1,062 59.1%
  • Prequel trilogy

Votes: 771 42.9%

• Total voters

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
For me I'd actually give the edge to the Prequels, don't get me wrong they are worse movies but they had their own consistent identity that didn't rely on fan service and nostalgia as much as the Disney trilogy did, and as bad as Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were they never angered me as much as Rise of Skywalker did, I believe the end of the journey is as valuable as the journey itself and Rise of Skywalker made the new trilogy feel like such a waste, which hurts because I actually really did love both the TLJ and TFA

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even need to have seen RotS to know my answer here. Force Awakes and The Last Jedi are infinitely better than the best Prequel movie.

I get where you're coming from, OP, but you couldn't pay me to rewatch Attack of the Clones.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prequels have:

One mediocre movie elevated by memes
One bad movie
One decent movie elevated even further by memes and the Clone Wars

Sequels have:

One bland movie
One very good movie
One bad movie

Prequels are cohesive though, while the sequels are not.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
PT felt more like Star Wars to me. It also felt more cohesive.

I still don't know what the ST was trying to accomplish.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Sequel had 1 8/10 movie and two 7/10 movies, sequel for sure. I enjoyed every installment, it was a ton of fun.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe anyone would consider the PT even remotely close to the ST. The PT is practically B-Movie level filmmaking with a gigantic budget.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The Phantom Menace doesn't even have a main character. Anakin and Padme is even worse and more toxic than Rey/Kylo. The prequels are racist as hell with a heavy dose of sexism. Vader's turn, the biggest moment in the PT, is rushed and nonsensical, even compared to Kylo's redemption. And if you thought that the fanservice in TROS was bad but stan for the prequels then you're a hypocrite. As the pPT was filled with nonsensical offputting fanservice from the jump, like, Anakin, as a child, built C3PO. Like, at least TFA and TLJ are excellent films with wonderful messages. Also, I always see people in Era threads sayoing, "at least the PT was cohesive." Yea no the fuck it wasn't. As it timeskipped it's way to freedom character relationships were skipped over entirely and substituted with stilted exposition, typically involving characters walking down a hallway. Like, Obi-wan, arguably the second main character of the trilogy, does NOT have an arc. Seriously, he doesn't.

Like it says so much that the biggest online criticism of TFA has NOTHING to do with the actual content or execution. Because suddenly armchair critics came up with "originality" as the end all be all of storytelling quality. If your entire criticism of a film is that it purposefully has callbacks to older films to make a larger point about the franchise's reintroduction into cinema relevance beyond memes and a really good cartoon show. Then yea, it's clearly the better film. If you stan for racism and sexism more than the most overtly feminist SW films then you really need to check yourself.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, this is a tough one. Prequels started bad but got decent at the third movie. Sequels started decent but got bad immediately after. I hate to say prequels but that's where I'm leaning.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The Prequel trilogy imo had a better storyline and better cast of characters.

Sequel trilogy's first movie was a rehash, second movie was half useless filler and third movie was just an attempt to recreate the prequel trilogy's flare with bringing back the best villain of the prequel trilogy but made no sense and pretty much killed/contradicted the original trilogy's Return of the Jedi's ending.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Despite all the flaws of the prequels, they were absolutely more interesting and more cohesive and felt more "Star Warsy" than the sequels.

(I like both trilogies for the most part btw, I'm not into the nitpicking. I'm glad the Skywalker trilogies are over, cause Star Wars fans are the worst and the worst thing to happen to Internet discourse that has affected everything since the late 90's)

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Are people confusing prequel and sequel or what is up with the poll? should have put it in the right order op.

anyway obviously the PT. the ST was a giant shitshow while the PT was a giant fun and cohesive shitshow.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Sequel Trilogy had The Last Jedi.

Sequel Trilogy had much better actors (well, directors who could get good performances out of the actors).

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Acting wise, script-wise and effects-wise the ST. But in terms of everything else including worldbuilding, creature/vehicle designs, planets, sound design and music, the PT wins easily. Star Wars at the very least is supposed to bring a sense of unique visual wonder and unfortunately the ST was just too derivative and unoriginal on that front.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Prequels, easily.

Loved Rey, Ren and Luke in the sequels but outside them the trilogy is a fucking messssssssss.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The ST has flaws but it's not even close. The PT is pretty much awful. TLJ is the best SW since the OT.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Acting wise, script-wise and effects-wise the ST. But in terms of everything else including worldbuilding, creature/vehicle designs, planets, sound design and music, the PT wins easily. Star Wars at the very least is supposed to bring a sense of unique visual wonder and unfortunately the ST was just too derivative and unoriginal on that front.
ST cinematography>PT cinematograhy.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The ones that expanded the story and the lore, provided new and uniquely iconic creature, tech, and planet designs, and inspired a new expanded universe of content for the franchise.

vs the ones shitted out every year for money ( a plan they have since scrapped due to the poor quality)

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
The revisionist history regarding the prequels is so strange.

They had good elements, but the vast majority of the run time is either terrible, dull, or both.

The sequel trilogy had two generally well regarded films and then a lackluster slapdash ending.

Oct 31, 2017
In 10 years, people will still be talking about the PT and the OT, while the ST will just be a blip on the radar in the deluge of Disney Star Wars content that is sure to be on the horizon. The ST is a series of well produced, slickly made films; just like all of the other IP 21st century Disney churns out. The kind of movie you sit in the theater, clap your hands to, then forget about on the drive home.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The revisionist history regarding the prequels is so strange.

They had good elements, but the vast majority of the run time is either terrible, dull, or both.

The sequel trilogy had two generally well regarded films and then a lackluster slapdash ending.
When a meme community memes so much that they unironically start to believe, "Nah, these racist stereotypes were actually good."

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Prequels. Isn't even close.

The prequels have well documented issues, but they tell a coherent story that does what it sets out to do. The sequels not only rehash the far superior OT, but are at war with each other, with each film retconning or reversing important aspects of the films that precede it.

The prequels have their own identity and their own style. The are responsible for at least as many iconic scenes and moments as the OT. The sequels are like big budget fanfilms.

The sequels have the edge in terms of dialog (barely. TFA has literally 2 memorable lines and only because they are memes. TLJ has been witty dialogued half to death with the other half being David Goyer style attempts to create meaningful slogans that don't actually land. TROS at least is a return to more naturalistic, OT style dialog but again runs into the problem of not having much standout.) and in the quality of special effects.

But where the prequels have the edge:

- character growth
- fight scenes
- pacing
- original design
- music
- costume design (i will grant that the first order troopers look amazing, but everyting else is just OT rehashed)
- set design
- creature design

The lows of the prequels are pretty bad, but the highs are amazing. There is nothing in the sequels that matches the maul fight. Or duel of the fates. Or the coolness fo a double bladed lightsaber. Or the design of the naboo starfighter. Or the originality of having the BDU the heroes must destroy not be a super weapon, but instead be the source of the enemy troops. All that shit is just from Phantom menace: AKA the worst one. There's no exchange of dialog as good as the tale of Darth plagueis. no fight as emotional as anakin vs obbiwan. No space battle as well done as the battle of corusant.

The prequels are movies that are weaker than the sum of their parts. The bad dialog and poor direction of character interaction hurts them and distracts you from the fact that their action and design are top fucking notch.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should not be a question.

As someone who didn't particularly like The Last Jedi and don't have that movie boosting the overall score of the Sequel Trilogy, I am shocked and dismayed to find myself seriously considering what the answer might be.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Prequels. Isn't even close.

The prequels have well documented issues, but they tell a coherent story that does what it sets out to do.
Who is the main character of the Phantom Menace.

But where the prequels have the edge:

- character growth
What is Obiwan's character arc.

😂

😂 😂 😂

latest

Debatable.

- costume design (i will grant that the first order troopers look amazing, but everyting else is just OT rehashed)
This isn't even a metric for film quality.

What sets?

There is so much vfx overload in the prequels that a lot of the creatures end up looking forgettable.

The lows of the prequels are pretty bad, but the highs are amazing. There is nothing in the sequels that matches the maul fight. Or duel of the fates
Rey vs Kylo, The throne room fight, Luke vs. Kylo, why? Because there is an actual story with a ton of weight that justifies these moments.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
The prequel trilogy at least functions as a trilogy, doesn't throw around planet-killing weapons all of the time, doesn't break basic elements of the setting, and added a lot of new places and ideas, so I lean towards it over the sequels.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The sequels...by far. I'm not even going to mention the first 2 sequels, they're superior to every prequel movie, especially Last Jedi. The Rise of Skywalker is the weakest, and while I can see an argument for someone preferring Revenge of the Sith, I personally don't. That movie still has worse performances, mediocre direction and the final action scene is basically a kid throwing his action figures around a room and making light sabre noises. The lone saving grace is Palpatine being hammier than a pig farm. The entire prequel trilogy was summed up in a few lines of dialogue by Alec Guinness. That did more to sell the tragedy of Anakin's turn than 6 hours+ of limply directed tosh.
You can argue the merits of the sequel stories all day, derivative as hell. At least they were entertaining and visually dynamic. For all the talk of Lucas doing something different with the prequels, The Last Jedi is probably the most bold of any of these sequels or prequels, actually DID try to go in a different direction instead of just being boring and calling it daring decades after the fact as a backlash to the negative opinions surrounding the prequels.
The prequels are better than the Holiday Special and the Ewok movies...I'll give them that much. Oh, and the Duel of the Fates was great...other than that. Busts, all 3 of them.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I think you'd have to limit the production budget to 1/10th of the prequels to start finding movies that are worse than them. The gap between the Star Wars prequels and The Room is shockingly small.

At least you can name the characters in the Phatom Menace unlike Rogue One
Jynn Erso is the main character in that movie. And I don't particularly like Rogue One in addition to it not being in the Sequel trilogy.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's must feel so weird to be a fan of this series when most of the entries in the mainline story range from mediocre to terrible. Arguing between the PT and ST is like arguing over what type of acid you want thrown at your face.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
The sequels and it's not even close. The prequels have some interesting ideas and great world building but barely pass as actual films. Sequels were messy but I enjoyed all of them.

Oct 31, 2017

I agree with virtually all of your post, except for this.

The sequel trilogy stormtroopers are the goofiest shit; they straight up remind me of Power Ranger Putties.

s--D9lT97Uc--.png

Almost every sequence they were in, I just kept hearing the stupid as fuck babbling the Putties make lmao:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is cheating. The prequels set up way more interesting universes but the sequel trilogy had the only good movie among them (TLJ). It's an unanswerable question!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoyed watching TFA and TLJ in theaters. The prequels are only good as wookieepedia entries , memes and outlines for the Clone Wars tv show. I legit tried to re-watch RotS a few days ago and had to shut if off after an hr.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Give me the fan service of the sequels any day. I will never sit through the Prequels again in my lifetime. I feel bad I put my daughter through those as a kid.