• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which DLC suits my taste better?

• Heart of Stone

Votes: 89 63.1%
  • Blood and Wine

Votes: 52 36.9%

• Total voters

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
With the Gwent mobile client coming in December, I felt the need to install it on PC and fell in love. It's a super captivating game at this point, and it made me remember how fond I am of this world.

I am now really looking forward to the Switch release, as I never played the DLC before and I can now play them on my commutes.

I will only have time for 1 - which should I play? My preferences:

-Story is king - I'm looking for something as close to an adventure game as possible

-Romance is a nice bonus - not sure if that's relevant but I like how horny this universe is

-Combat encounters probably don't matter, as I will likely play on Easy

-Gwent doesn't matter, as I play that on the dedicated client

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Based on wanting something a little tighter (like an adventure game) Hearts of Stone might be the one for you. Both are great though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If time is limited, Hearts of Stone is the clear winner. It's shorter overall and is a great little story on its own.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If story is king then you should go with Heart of Stone. I liked Blood and Wine more because of what a large expansion it was, but Heart of Stone had the better story

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
Hearts of Stone has the tighter storytelling and some of the best overall writing in the series. Also Gaunter O'Dimm.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
You should play the two, but based on your preferences i would go for Heart of Stone first.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have much time and story is most important to you, Hearts of Stone. It's more compact (8-10 hours long) and has a fantastic story and characters.
Blood and Wine shines mostly because of it gorgeous new region Toussaint. There is more stuff to see and do and so it will take much longer (20+ hours).

Nov 2, 2017
Hearts of Stone is shorter but has a better storyline and personally more fun boss fights, so i would start with that one. If it turns out you want even more Witcher 3 you can always go back and start on Blood and Wine.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, you WILL play both. But, if you have to choose which to play first then Heart of Stone.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
they're both some of the best expansions you'll ever play, but HoS is the best The Witcher 3 has to offer. To be honest, I think I like both more than the actual main quest.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Heart of Stone was more interesting from a story and character perspective while Blood and Wine was better if you're more interested in exploration and a fresh feeling from new content.
But you should really play both, neither of them waste your time.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this answer isn't really helpful, but - both, as many people have already said.

Hearts is shorter of the two, so if you're short on time, go with it. But Blood and Wine is also great, and WELL WORTH playing, so get on it as soon as you can!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
While I personally prefer Blood and Wine I'd say Heart of Stone better suits what you're looking for. It's substantially shorter and works better as a self contained story.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Haha, I may very well play both some day - for now, I will start with HoS. Sounds like exactly what I want right now.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
wait
Gwent mobile client coming in December
really? lets gooo, didnt know it, ive been hoping it since i played TW3 !!

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I liked both but if you had to pick one, go for Heart of Stone. When you have the time, play Blood and Wine after.

The order I played was:
Base game
Heart of Stone
Blood and Wine

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Going by your preferences, definitely Hearts of Stone. Seems like you will absolutely love it. The romance in it is really lovely. It's also about 10-15 hours shorter than Blood & Wine, though make sure to make time for it later too. You don't want to miss the new region, also a great story in that.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Heart of Stone has a really great story but I think Blood and Wine's is solid too and the visuals are just so special.. I had to go with that. I don't think you'll be let down by the story by any means.

HOS is shorter though by some margin as I recall so if that is of some additional interest, maybe that's a better choice.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Once you finish the main story, play Heart of Stone, then Blood and Wine.

Blood and Wine will feel more like an adventure as you will travel to a new map so you have a whole new area to explore and you even get a house for urself. Heart of Stone story is more compact but its an amazing story with great characters. Both DLC have romantic new scenes.

I trully recomend getting time for both.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
You should play both but if you have time for only one then I would recommend Hearts of Stone because it's shorter and story is in my opinion better.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
First post nails it. Just find a way to play both, but if you're strapped for time, try Hearts of Stone since it's shorter.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Both

But if you have to choose... HoS I guess? Despite Gaunter'O Dimm completely stealing the show, I loved Beauclair as a setting and some of the quests in B&W were amazing. Dettlaff is also a very interesting character imo despite seeming like your typical angry villain. So don't miss out on B&W either.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just play both. Hearts of Stone is short and then you can dick around with Blood and Wine when you have time.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
You should both - Hearts of Stone has one of the best stories and characters in videogame history though
Blood & Wine is almost a new entry in the Witcher series disguised as an older type expansion pack (yes, it's really, really big)

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I still think about Hearts of Stone years after I played it. Such an amazing expansion, I'd start with that and then settle into the new world of Blood and Wine.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
heart of stone is fantastic and quite possibly the greatest quest line in the entire series. that being said B&W is basically another game in of itself and gives u the best bang for your buck.

Tldr; get both.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Blood and Wine feels like a new 20 hour game to me. I recommend that more in general , it's a great game with a wonderful setting but to answer your requirements people seem to prefer the overall story for Heart of Stone

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I don't want to exaggerate but Blood and Wine almost felt like a new game. While I enjoyed both and the main game, Blood and Wine's setting and the story is a clear winner for me.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Heart of stone is a tighter and stronger narrative whilst Blood and Wine is more like an expansion like Shivering Isles.

Play both, they're both worth it and are fantastic.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Pffft, you'll play Hearts Of Stone first, go "damn that was so fucking good", then fork over the cash for Blood And Wine, and it'll be worth it.