• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Tony Hawk campaign style do you prefer?

• Classic

Votes: 172 61.9%
  • 4 onward

Votes: 105 37.8%

• Total voters
Mar 5, 2019
There's the classic style from 1-3, where you complete objectives in a 2 minute run or the one that was introduced in 4 where you complete specific tasks for other NPCs after talking to them.

I much prefer the style in the first few games. Having to talk to an NPC slows down the pace, and I'm locked into that one goal until it's complete or I give up. It also removes any potential self imposed challenge to complete all goals in a single run.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I loved the format of the classic games, and I wish more modern games recaptured it.

Get me in & out of a short run to do something tricky. Like Celeste. Just perfect.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Getting rid of the 2 minute timer was the best thing ever for the franchise imo. THPS4 and Underground are my favorites. Loved being able to take my time to really explore the area. I still remember College from THPS4...I never got tired of simply skating around. If I felt like doing missions then I did.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Underground is my absolute favorite so that's my choice. Really loved the rags to riches story moving up the ranks with the setbacks here and there.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much as you say at the end: much of the fun in Tony Hawk isn't just doing the objective but also doing it quick and chaining it into another. It's why many of the gap and SKATE letters followed natural lines you'd take in the level. It's almost like a sandbox racer in a weird way.

Weird place I think I feel a Tony Hawk Vibe is in speedrunning Mario Odyssey. Often some of the moons are in plain sight or easy to pull up. The challenge comes in chaining these moons together or optimising your run through a level to get the most under par. Balloon World scratches this itch a little bit I wonder if a "timed" objective mode in a future Odyssey game could scratch this itch better.

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll be in the minority here, but always preferred the open-world/no time limit style. THUG 1 is my favorite of the series.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the games that had both the regular open world and the Classic formula like the Underground games. They're my favorites of the franchise next to 2 and 3.

If I had to choose, though, I went with 2 minute.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
While I get why people like the challenge of the first three, I think 4 onwards are suuuuper underrated as platformers. I loved exploring, goofing around, and stumbling into things at my own leisure

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The more open style is really great, but I feel classic is one of the many reasons why THPS 1-3 are legendary.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Classic, although coming from someone that's only owned/played 3 (as well as played a little bit of 2) I presume my opinion doesn't mean much as someone who hasn't played the other titles. I would say that I wouldn't mind a THPS sequel/spiritual successor that either had a longer time limit or allowed you to complete goals without the time limit, but it's unfortunately been years since I last played THPS3, so I can't really comment if the 2:00 time limit is really something that needs to be tinkered with.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
The first Tony Hawk game I got to spend a lot of time with was 4, so I was used to the open-world approach for the longest time. But the more time I spent with the classic 2-minute run, the more I came to appreciate it from a design perspective. It complements the gameplay perfectly, and makes even simple things like navigating the environments more white-knuckled and rewarding.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
THPS4 is my favorite. And I think it doesn't have to be a choice between those two because it would be easy to include a "classic mode" when selecting the levels.
I did like being able to focus on a single challenge and repeat it a ton until I got it.

Oct 27, 2017
1 through 3 are the better format.

Also, look at this fuckin' guy:

He is like the video game rendition of himself in real life.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I think that 3 was the best by far, but project 8 doesn't get enough credit, it was real good

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I like the objective styles of the open games, but the level designs in the 2-minute classic campaigns. Honestly the shift towards open levels made them feel like they flow a lot less easily and never felt as fun to do tricks in.

I guess overall I'd go classic only because the level designs were that much better.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like 4 best, combined the best of both worlds, take on missions when you want and free roam but that and no timer unless accomplishing a mission are the only real differences. There are no cars, story, any of the other bloated stuff that came later, it's pretty much just the first 3 games but without the 2 minute timer.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
The original 2-minute run style was the best. I understand some folks like to take their time exploring the level at their own pace, but there was always Free Skate mode if you wanted to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Underground was my podcast game for a really long time. Loved just mindlessly doing tricks and grinding, with the occasional mission here and there. So yeah, 4 onward for me.

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
I always felt that the level design was better in 1-3. Latter entries had their place, but definitely not as polished.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the OG trilogy. Always. TH3 is GOAT. Or TH2... that was something on Dreamcast. I can never decide lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember feeling the coolest kid on the block when I figured out the 900 by myself. Right, Down, Circle. From then on I figured out that special tricks would follow a similar format and started going through each skater and pressing right, down, circle. Right, right, circle. Etc etc. until I figured out every special. Idk why that stuck with me.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly found the timer to be pretty annoying in my recent playthrough of the series. I feel like THPS4 was the sweet spot for me - more freedom while maintaining the classic feel of the earlier games.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Underground was the best campaign. The levels had all kinds of secrets and trick spots. If I had it I'd replay it.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I always like exploring the maps at my leisure.

Also, the story in THUG was actually surprisingly effective at getting people emotionally invested (i.e. everyone loves to hate Eric Sparrow).

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This poll is nuts. People want a time limit instead of being able to explore at their leisure? Madness.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could never have a villain as dastardly as Eric Sparrow within the confines of a two minute run through a level.
I do love both though.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
All you pre-THUG voters are insane. I want Eric Sparrow, and horribly read lines from real skateboarders.
cupearzjxnky.png

George

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from someone that has speedrun just about all the games in the series, Classic all the way. The way the goals flow together and ways to route the levels out is basically unparalleled. I always equate it to being like Super Mario 64 on a time limit, and you don't get ejected from a level when completing a goal. My only complaints are that the levels are almost too bite-sized once you've routed them out and that competition stages are mostly meaningless because the scoring system is pretty bad throughout the whole series.

Underground 2's story mode comes close to striking a nice balance, but having to unlock several sets of goals per level and some of the goals obviously being designed around the fact that there is no time limit destroys a lot of the potential flow.

I think a lot about the old games still works really well. Any developer trying to make a new Tony Hawk game or even a game inspired by it would do well to focus on the movement and platforming and then developing the goals around that.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
The classic formula has always been more appealing to me. The added challenge of trying to get as many objectives done within a time limit has no equivalent in the story based games (as much as I love the story in THUG). THAW was probably the worst in this regard. It felt like half of the story missions were tutorials.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still like THUG the most. It still has a lot of "arcade style challenges" just with a bit of narrative stringing it together. I've never been a fan of the timer myself.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Wow, I didn't know Era had such bad Tony Hawk opinions. I thought the original games were alright, but I never LOVED the games until I could roam free by my own watch.