• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the people saying Sisko based on the actual shows.

But people talking about how Janeway should be the right answer based on the concept are really getting at what a wasted opportunity Voyager ended up being. I wonder what it would have been like of the Voyager concept had been used more recently during the "golden age" of tv. A post BSG, prestige show that put the personal conflicts and razor thin margins for survival front and center. Trying to keep the crew from devolving into civil war/mutiny while fending off Kazon attacks and desperately trying to ration everything on the ship should have been the entire arc of the first season. Season finale could have been a mutiny actually coming to a head and Janeway and Chakote having a real stand off until its revealed that the mutiny was actually instigated by both SF and Maquis crew members trying to exploit the tensions to take control.

Then once the crew starts to gel a bit better you can ramp up the external conflicts. Spend an entire season dealing with the phage aliens and all their bodysnatching. Show that the Doctor really struggles with xenobiology or any medical knowledge that isn't in his data files because he was never programmed to be a full Doctor. Hell work in some ethical discussion of whether they can tinker with his programming to make him more flexible and improvisational but at the cost of fundamentally altering his personality and possibly making him more eratic since they don't have a full AI programmer on board.

If the show goes on long enough, you can have a whole season devoted to the borg and a desperate attempt to exploit a schism in borg "society" in order to survive the fact that the ship's only path home is directly through the heart of borg territory.

The other thing they could do with a higher budget and lower episode count is have more permanent changes to the ship. When Voyager limps back to the Alpha Quadrant it should be a true Ship of Theseus, covered in patchwork plating, sporting a replacement naucel and covered with bolted on phaser arrays and other external weapons to replace Federation tech that was destroyed on their journey and could only be replaced with jury-rigged alien tech.

Long form TV wasn't really a thing back when Voyager was on the air and it was never going to be good with those producers, but I can't help but wonder what a more modern take on Voyager would have looked like. I feel like it could have been something special and I feel bad that the cast wasn't given better material to work with.

TLDR: Voyager in a post BSG wold could have been pretty awesome.
I agree with you.

Voyager should have had the most difficult journey; 30+ years, crippled and limping back home, barely held together with duct tape and her crew tramuatized.

Such an awesome premise that was squandered.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As presented.
Sisko. He had to balance the needs of the Federation and the needs of Bajor. He was on the front lines of a war against a powerful adversary.

If they hadn't fucked it up:
Close between Archer and Janeway. Both were searching the unknown with little to no backup. Janeway also (in theory) had to deal with a few dozen maquis members who absolutely loathed the Federation.

But they fucked it up.
I'm not sure that Archer's job was any harder than Kirk's, and neither were much harder than Picard's. Archer's biggest hurdle was that one time when he volunteered to fly his ship into crazy space that could flip his organs inside out, on the vague hope that maybe he could survive and accomplish something while he was in there. And I'm not sure that counts as having a hard job, so much as being crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the people saying Sisko based on the actual shows.

But people talking about how Janeway should be the right answer based on the concept are really getting at what a wasted opportunity Voyager ended up being. I wonder what it would have been like of the Voyager concept had been used more recently during the "golden age" of tv. A post BSG, prestige show that put the personal conflicts and razor thin margins for survival front and center. Trying to keep the crew from devolving into civil war/mutiny while fending off Kazon attacks and desperately trying to ration everything on the ship should have been the entire arc of the first season. Season finale could have been a mutiny actually coming to a head and Janeway and Chakote having a real stand off until its revealed that the mutiny was actually instigated by both SF and Maquis crew members trying to exploit the tensions to take control.

Then once the crew starts to gel a bit better you can ramp up the external conflicts. Spend an entire season dealing with the phage aliens and all their bodysnatching. Show that the Doctor really struggles with xenobiology or any medical knowledge that isn't in his data files because he was never programmed to be a full Doctor. Hell work in some ethical discussion of whether they can tinker with his programming to make him more flexible and improvisational but at the cost of fundamentally altering his personality and possibly making him more eratic since they don't have a full AI programmer on board.

If the show goes on long enough, you can have a whole season devoted to the borg and a desperate attempt to exploit a schism in borg "society" in order to survive the fact that the ship's only path home is directly through the heart of borg territory.

The other thing they could do with a higher budget and lower episode count is have more permanent changes to the ship. When Voyager limps back to the Alpha Quadrant it should be a true Ship of Theseus, covered in patchwork plating, sporting a replacement naucel and covered with bolted on phaser arrays and other external weapons to replace Federation tech that was destroyed on their journey and could only be replaced with jury-rigged alien tech.

Long form TV wasn't really a thing back when Voyager was on the air and it was never going to be good with those producers, but I can't help but wonder what a more modern take on Voyager would have looked like. I feel like it could have been something special and I feel bad that the cast wasn't given better material to work with.

TLDR: Voyager in a post BSG wold could have been pretty awesome.

Yup this would have been awesome and it was something Enterprise did really well during season 3 when they were fighting the Xendi, there was a lot I enjoyed about Voyager (certainly more than most) but what a waste of a premise. The writers really ruined that show.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
The one hand I wouldn't have wanted to be dealt was Janeway's.

I just wish that the show runners for Voyager and Enterprise had been better at coming up with ethical dilemmas. It was obvious that they wanted Janeway's decision to stay in the Delta Quadrant to have real moral weight but they just wrote themselves into a corner.

Another missed opportunity with Voyager would have been to start with Janeway as a strict, uncompromising Captain who has to sacrifice more and more of her ideals in order to get her ship and crew home. Her character development really suffered for never having her own "in the pale moonlight" moment. Hell, even "Living Record" which had a killer premise, balked at actually showing the crew in a negative light.

Yup this would have been awesome and it was something Enterprise did really well during season 3 when they were fighting the Xendi, there was a lot I enjoyed about Voyager (certainly more than most) but what a waste of a premise. The writers really ruined that show.

I really need to watch the last two seasons of Enterprise at some point.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I dislike him, I think Archer has the least amount of support both a military and diplomatic standpoint.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Nero of the Narada.

Come at ME!

Oh if that's how you wanna play it:

causeandeffect5.jpg

Trapped in a time loop for 90+ years

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just wish that the show runners for Voyager and Enterprise had been better at coming up with ethical dilemmas. It was obvious that they wanted Janeway's decision to stay in the Delta Quadrant to have real moral weight but they just wrote themselves into a corner.

Another missed opportunity with Voyager would have been to start with Janeway as a strict, uncompromising Captain who has to sacrifice more and more of her ideals in order to get her ship and crew home. Her character development really suffered for never having her own "in the pale moonlight" moment. Hell, even "Living Record" which had a killer premise, balked at actually showing the crew in a negative light.

What if Janeway had been BSG's Admiral Cain?

Oct 28, 2017
Why would they handicap themselves with that line to begin with. At least torpedo resupply makes a lot more sense than Voyager's Magic Shuttlecraft Replicator.

Its an easy retcon. At the time she said they had no way to replace them that might have been true. It probably takes some dedicated machinery and skill to safely manufacture the explosive yields. As time went on, they converted some area of the ship to manufacture heavy machine parts that the replicator wasn't able to produce.

Sadly, they never worry about resources except in the most superficial of ways. Essentially, Year of Hell is what 7 seasons of Voyager should have been.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgiou.

Her first officer started a war with the Klingons, mutinied against her and got her killed.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sisko had to defend an entire fucking quadrant or 2 (Alpha and Beta)

Janeway and Archer only had their ship's crew to worry about

Fuckin A

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I'd say Captain Jellico of the U.S.S. Enterprise. His step to command came out of nowhere, and he wanted to do things his way, and battle drills his way, but his first officer was not supportive, which led to a clashing of leadership and crew. Jellico was competent, and caring, but not compatible with the crew or situation, making his command strained, and very difficult.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Captain Jellico of the U.S.S. Enterprise. His step to command came out of nowhere, and he wanted to do things his way, and battle drills his way, but his first officer was not supportive, which led to a clashing of leadership and crew. Jellico was competent, and caring, but not compatible with the crew or situation, making his command strained, and very difficult.
Not to mention his ancestor was Dick Jones of OCP. That association is gonna make any command situation difficult for building trust.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be honest here. I've never seen DS9. Looks like it's on Netflix so I shall be fixing that problem soon enough.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sisko. Between the stakes of the war against the Dominion, playing politics with the Klingons and Romulans, trying to bring Bajor into the Federation, a group of godlike aliens sitting on his shoulder fucking with his head, and the fact that frankly the station was a Cardassian deathtrap, literally everything that could be against him, was.

S'why when Q showed up he just punched his lights out. Waaaaay too much on his plate to be humoring some omnipotent douchwad.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
As everyone mentioned, probably Sisko. Janeway could have had it the worst if the writing had more forethought, though having to deal with Netflix puts her job at #2.

Archer had it the easiest until the Xindi arc.

Dancey Dave

Nov 4, 2017
Janeway no doubt. She had a makeshift crew that was almost as incompetent as she was. Also don't want to derail the thread but I tried watching DS9 and found it really boring a few years ago. Does it get better?

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
100% Sisko
Janeway was in a bad situation sure but her own dumb decisions and psuedo-genocidal tendencies are what really put her in a bind.

Janeway no doubt. She had a makeshift crew that was almost as incompetent as she was. Also don't want to derail the thread but I tried watching DS9 and found it really boring a few years ago. Does it get better?

DS9 really picks up after it gets going. It is admittedly kinda slow initially

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
As everyone mentioned, probably Sisko. Janeway could have had it the worst if the writing had more forethought, though having to deal with Netflix puts her job at #2.

Archer had it the easiest until the Xindi arc.

Wouldn't go that far. No backup, no starbases. Silent Enemy and Dead Stop are perfect examples.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
100% Sisko
Janeway was in a bad situation sure but her own dumb decisions and psuedo-genocidal tendencies are what really put her in a bind.

DS9 really picks up after it gets going. It is admittedly kinda slow initially
DS9 is indeed a slow starter, but it does pick up...

Agreed. DS9 is like eating some very tasty brie, with lots of the delicious soft-cheese that is Star Trek wrapped in a rind of bajoran religious bullshit. Sometimes that rind enhances the experience as a whole, but mostly it just gets in the way and occasionally detracts. Going through the first couple of seasons is like eating too much rind and not enough soft cheese.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Sisko. Kirk. Janeway I guess, I didn't watch that show, but they did face some pretty outlandish, fucked up, or just plain idiotic shit...then Picard and everyone else.

The ones in an active war situation with crazier stories that probably didn't even make the series. And the one that got turned into a lizard-thing.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even though I think Sisko had the more difficult command, I do think it's important to remember that the Federation knew Picard was extremely capable in diplomacy as well as being experienced in combat, so he was very often placed into extremely dicey situations that could've played out in much worse ways. As luck would have it though, his crew was stacked as hell and helped him immensely in those difficult places, especially with people like Data and Q having his back.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It's either sisko or Janeway. Sisko had to play a role as a federation captain as well as some important religious icon on top of all the other stuff with running ds9. Janeway had to keep her crew together for a mission that would likely not end successfully with limited assistance from Starfleet.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nog was a captain in one timeline. Things had to be tough for the first Ferengi in Star Fleet

bubbles

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA/Thailand
Captain Kirk, just for having to put up with all those accents. What they didn't show you was him always saying, "...what?" or pretending not to hear what you said and asking to repeat it, lol.

I have an accent. I speak from experience :p

Oct 25, 2017
Sisko - the Dominion war was brutal

On the other hand.....Picard had a crazy Cardassian asking him how many lights he saw

I wonder why the Borg didn't attack the Alpha Quadrant during the Dominion war..........and did the Dominion ever run into the Borg in the Gamma Quadrant?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Sisko had magical space gods watching his back, so I'm not sure I can say he had the most difficult command. He also had the entirety of Starfleet along with him.

I'd say Janeway or Archer really. They were the ones in totally uncharted territory with little to no backup besides what they found for themselves.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Picard did go on trial for all the crimes of humanity. Twice.

Sisko is probably the right answer, though. He had to live with sending tens of thousands of stafleet personnel to their deaths.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Picard got his heart replaced, later he was body horrored and destroyed pretty much all of the other federation starships, lived 50 years in a dying planet playing the flute and trying to convince people global warming was a real thing then got tortured by a dude with biological shoulderpads then pulled back in time to bang his best friend and play dom jot then he came back and did even more shit while fending off an interdimensional omnipotent crazy person

dude got it bad

I think the flute thing was the worst. That would really traumatize a person.

Let's not even talk about the time he was cloned into Tom Hardy

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Picard got his heart replaced, later he was body horrored and destroyed pretty much all of the other federation starships, lived 50 years in a dying planet playing the flute and trying to convince people global warming was a real thing then got tortured by a dude with biological shoulderpads then pulled back in time to bang his best friend and play dom jot then he came back and did even more shit while fending off an interdimensional omnipotent crazy person

dude got it bad

I think the flute thing was the worst. That would really traumatize a person.

Let's not even talk about the time he was cloned into Tom Hardy
Worst of all he had to put up with Wesley Crusher.