Which universe has the worse health and safety standards: Star Wars or Star Trek?

• Star Wars

Votes: 336 92.8%
  • Star Trek

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • You really need to get a life OP

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
Feb 24, 2018
In space, their is no health and safety standards to help when you scream.

Needless to say that many Sci-Fi universe lack safety standards, it's not really something most writers (or audiences) care about, especially when dramatic affect is considered more important.

But can be funny to point it out so which of the two big Star franchises is more unsafe? Which one is going to get you killed the quickly?! Star Wars or Star Trek?!?!?!

Star Wars:

View: https://x.com/jtimsuggs/status/1779265860802125948
giphy.gif

1. Half the doors seem to be designed to try to kill you.
  2. Handrails don't seem to have been invented in that universe
  3. Most Jedi don't bother with having guards on their lightsabers, including the ones made for children, easily causing lifelong injuries for your finger melting (lightsabers melt not cut) or setting yourself on fire.
  4. HR departments are useless, like Admiral Motti wrote an angry incident report after being choked by Darth Vader and his complaint was ignored by the Death Star's HR department (none of that was a joke; and the idea of the Death Star having a HR department is just hilarious to me, like please make it canon the base had a suggestion box!)
  5. & back to doors, their clearly not designed to accommodate people of all sizes:
Stormtrooper-hits-his-head-on-a-door.gif

Star Trek:
tumblr_ouaa6tgx981qmob6ro1_400.gif
db701eea20d27bf9270ba260226c8fd067629068.gif

TUCKER: Look at this handrail. Put your hands here while this is going up or down, it'll take your fingers right off.

DILLARD (likely fired soon after): Why would someone put their hands there, sir?
  1. Fuses sadly became a lost invention for the Federation, resulting in many avoidable injuries like the MANY consoles exploding in people's face.
  2. Seatbelts are not a standard safety feature on Starfleet ships.
  3. Emergency MANUAL overrides routinely fail if the power goes out... Aka when you'd actually need them, even door locks somehow fail (Hi USS Voyager!).
  4. And speaking of which, Starship Medical bays don't have their own power supply or even emergency power meaning in emergencies or just glitches, you have no way to heal people. This has in fact caused a new-born baby to turn in bloody goop (not a joke, USS Voyager was a crappily made ship that only survived thanks to Torres's underrated engineering skills)
  5. Starfleet thinks replacing circuity with "improved" gel packs that can't be replicated, easily break, radiated or infected, can cause you ship to catch a cold and nearly blow it up because of a mouldy block of cheese was a good idea (again not a joke, seriously which Admiral owed the Ferengi Mafia money when it came to the construction of Voyager).
  6. And of course... The Holodeck, where one glitch have you dead, vapourised or stuck with deadly dangerous because the safety features are designed to fail whenever something they'd be need happen. So if you're playing Doom of Mortal Kombat at your local Holo Arcade and their is a quick connection failure... Be prepared to be sliced in half by demons o Scorpion and no, NO fucking rollback is saving you from that!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even a discussion. Star Wars' universe is a miserable shitpile nearly everywhere you look aside from the top level of Coruscant. And even that's just the rich people part of town. The undercity is a shitpile too.

Star Trek's Federation actually does enforce safety standards. That's like one of the main things they do.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure how you can compare them since safety regulations simply don't exist in Star Wars
I don't think they ever will. You just witnessed some guy get strangled without being touched by a weirdo with a breathing problem dressed all in black. Are you going to write him an email saying that his planet killing death laser has safety concerns?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Even the people who've only ever watched Star Wars should still be voting for Trek on the grounds of "how could it be worse?".

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
While Star Trek ships having no seat belts is weird and bad, and holodecks are unsafe as fuck, it's still Star Wars. That said when things get unsafe in Star Trek, the weirdest things happen.

Last edited:

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
My friend, practically everyone in the Star Wars galaxy is illiterate. Do you honestly expect them to give a damn about occupational health and safety standards?!?!

reactormag.com

Most Citizens of the Star Wars Galaxy are Probably Totally Illiterate - Reactor

Not once in any Star Wars movie does someone pick up a book or newspaper, magazine, literary journal, or chapbook handmade by an aspiring Jawa poet. If something is read by someone in Star Wars, it’s almost certainly off of a screen (and even then, maybe being translated by a droid), and it’s...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is a universe where every locale is designed to be looked at rather than lived in. It's fine if your living room murders you as long as it's visually interesting when it does.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is a universe where every locale is designed to be looked at rather than lived in. It's fine if your living room murders you as long as it's visually interesting when it does.

It's honestly shocking how little actual worldbuilding has been done in the Star Wars movies. Almost all of it is limited to books of dubious canon status.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars but being killed in a transporter accident seems like a horrible way to go… The transformer death in The Motion picture is terrifying with those screams

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
what percentage of deaths in Coruscant do you think are because of regular folk accidentally tripping over into the great abyss? i'm willing to bet it's at least 10%

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's honestly shocking how little actual worldbuilding has been done in the Star Wars movies. Almost all of it is limited to books of dubious canon status.

I don't really agree with this. Star Wars has never been interested in questions like "maybe this laser sword/bottomless pit/mundane door is unsafe," but that doesn't mean there's no worldbuilding. "Practical consideration" and "worldbuilding" aren't synonymous. Coruscant is a fascinating, richly-detailed place, for example. So is the Millenium Falcon.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Handrails don't seem to have been invented in that universe
By and large, this is canon actually. Most handrails that you see are probably oversights, or thereabouts: "no handrails" is practically an official IP guideline.

Like, in Andor they filmed a bunch of apartments on location, and some of the behind the scenes shots show not only that they added CG backgrounds (trading London out for Coruscant) but also painted out handrails in the foreground.

image.png
image.png

(Via https://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/...of-andor-detailed-behind-the-screens-footage/ )

Rabid-Coot

Oct 27, 2017
It did come in handy in First Contact but I'm amazed that the option to turn the holodeck leathal made it past health and safety.

Oct 29, 2017
It is very convenient that droids seem incapable of rebelling against their owners in star wars, because that is one universe where surely millions of robots are manufactured for murdering

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... the Empire conducts illegal experiments on trafficked children.

And let's not discuss the prison conditions in Andor...

Safety standards? lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree with this. Star Wars has never been interested in questions like "maybe this laser sword/bottomless pit/mundane door is unsafe," but that doesn't mean there's no worldbuilding. "Practical consideration" and "worldbuilding" aren't synonymous. Coruscant is a fascinating, richly-detailed place, for example. So is the Millenium Falcon.

We've spent like seven minutes total on Coruscant in 9 movies. We know nothing about what life on that planet is like.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
We've spent like seven minutes total on Coruscant in 9 movies. We know nothing about what life on that planet is like.

Ehhhh I don't want to argue about this at length or anything, but I think this statement is disingenuous. There have been more than 9 Star Wars movies, and far more than seven minutes total across the canon, both old and new, in visual media or otherwise, spent detailing Coruscant. I think you know what I mean. Again - the level of practical consideration does not indicate the depth or quality of the worldbuilding in any particular case, Star Wars or no.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like voting Star Trek. I find the transporter and amount of incidents nightmarish, from Tuvix to Riker getting a bad clone.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
latest

no damn reason the bridge should be like that except for psychology reasons

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's shocking, I think the focus not being on worldbuilding is part of what Star Wars is and how it's successful.

I was discussing Star Wars on Discord the other day, I'm just going to copy and paste some of the things I was saying there:

RE: Star Wars. I think a big part of its popularity is just that it's put together from influences which were either niche cult classic sorta stuff at the time (space opera, fantasy) or was just foreign (Akira Kurosawa, Space Battleship Yamato) and took that to an hyper commercialized big budget ultra mainstream audience. Basically a more complex version of how Indiana Jones would take pulp adventure comics and make a high budget mainstream version of it.

Which also leaves it with a kind of effect that Star Wars itself is trying to capture the feeling of some pretty shlocky material, while a lot of the people who it influenced don't really see it as shlocky, so a lot of the things which are influenced by Star Wars or proceeded after Star Wars popularized the genres feel like they're easier to take seriously. A similar example being how people who started watching Star Trek with The Next Generation or later sometimes feel like the original is harder to get into because The Next Generation was made by a lot of people who grew up taking the science on Star Trek seriously instead of just purely as a narrative contrivance.

Lupo

Nov 7, 2017
Where does Warhammer's universe compare in this? It seems to routinely place in polls and comparisons as the worst place in any sci-fi setting.

Oct 29, 2017

A perfect example of this is how in one of the recent TV shows, I believe it was Mandalorian Season 3. They have these scenes in Coruscant and show and talk about about how only the tip of the tallest mountain is not covered by buildings, which is of course sort of touristic attraction in-universe, but also a touristic attraction for the viewer. A piece of trivia for the fans, a monument that is a visual metaphor where symbolism is the reason it exist on the screen.

In contrast the novel about Darth Plagueis had a different approach, since it is not a visual medium. There it is mentioned how the richest people in Coruscant have lavish states that touch the ground and even have gardens on the native soil. Something very different from how the rest of the planet looks, but it makes sense that the most powerful and rich would try to have something unique only they own.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek automatically because transporters kill every person transported, it just makes a copy

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars, because the idea is laughable.

In Star Trek, all the things mentioned happened after the safety equipment failed. Yes, even the bridge shaking. The stabilizers are supposed to manage it. The holodeck becomes the biggest problem when the crew Disables the safety mechanisms. Voyager was a prototype that was never supposed to leave dock for more than 2 days. Why anyone is allowed to disable the safety mechanisms is another question, like why the self destruct device always stops at 1 on the show.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like in Star Trek things that SHOULD be safe aren't and in Star Wars things that are already dangerous are more dangerous, so I'd go with Trek as the worse.

Like, I should not ever be in danger on an Enterprise unless we're in battle, and even then it shouldn't be as bad as it is. In Star Wars the dangerous stuff is, like, the innards of a space station designed for death.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Health and Safety doesn't exist in Star Wars much like how Customs doesn't exist in Star Trek.

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta be Star Wars.

I'm fairly certain OSHA still exists in the 24th century and Starfleet is racking up violations left and right, but will eventually sort it all out.

If there was an equivalent organization in Star Wars the emperor would have long since dissolved it.

Oct 26, 2017
Star Trek ship builders insist on building their control panels out of highly volatile components that explode in the operators face whenever the ship takes a solid hit in combat.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars no contest. Star Trek's safety compliance is poorly executed and/or conceived and is many times faulty as hell but it at least has safety compliance. Star Wars doesn't give a single solitary shit.

what percentage of deaths in Coruscant do you think are because of regular folk accidentally tripping over into the great abyss? i'm willing to bet it's at least 10%

What percentage of that is just shithead kids fucking around at the ledge as they are so wont to do.

icegif-523.gif

Coruscant doesn't even have the decency to put on some fucking handrails.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Where does Warhammer's universe compare in this? It seems to routinely place in polls and comparisons as the worst place in any sci-fi setting.

In the Warhammer 40K universe, a complete and total disregard for health and safety measures is a feature!

In fact, taking those things into consideration probably constitutes as heresy!

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
This is how they used to describe the work:

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Or how about this

Naked human beings were standing in a switchbacked line between high fences. Outside the fences Adeptus Mechanicus menials in environment suits stood guard with shock goads in hand. The people, all mature men and women, were shepherded down the caged walk like livestock. And they were food beasts being led to the slaughter, meat for the ravenous appetite of the Machine-God. I grew up lucky enough to eat real meat. I was unlucky enough to see where it came from – another gift of my father on another damn tour of my family's various businesses. The manufactorum produced servitors, but it was more akin to an abattoir than a workshop. Every surface was easily cleanable. Large plastek flaps divided areas from each other. Servitors with spray units surgically attached to their backs prowled about, hosing filth into slit drains set into the perfectly smooth, slanted floors. We walked above all this, past sentry pods on spikes occupied by galvanic rifle-armed snipers. Our path went from one end of the hall to the other, and I could see pretty much the whole sorting process, beginning to end.

As the line slowly advanced, the people were passed through various scanning devices, most of them mounted in ugly, functional arches that let out a constant series of acceptance chimes. Occasionally, one would let out an angry blare, and the indicator lumens would flash red. The rejected person was then swallowed up by a trapdoor opening beneath their feet. From these pits wafted a hideous stench, and the grinding sounds of industrial mincers. One rejected man grabbed on to the lip and hung there, arms and hands bloodied, shouting a stream of defiant profanities. Guards lined the grating either side of him and shocked him until he fell. The adepts wouldn't even waste bullets on these people.

Welcome to 40k.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
My friend, practically everyone in the Star Wars galaxy is illiterate. Do you honestly expect them to give a damn about occupational health and safety standards?!?!

reactormag.com

Most Citizens of the Star Wars Galaxy are Probably Totally Illiterate - Reactor

Not once in any Star Wars movie does someone pick up a book or newspaper, magazine, literary journal, or chapbook handmade by an aspiring Jawa poet. If something is read by someone in Star Wars, it’s almost certainly off of a screen (and even then, maybe being translated by a droid), and it’s...
Why is this so fucking funny. I want this to be cannon.

Bengraven