• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Xbox Exclusive will be the next to hit 90+ on Metacritic ?

• Halo Infinite

Votes: 114 11.9%
  • Gears 5

Votes: 63 6.6%
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Votes: 555 57.9%
  • Ninja Theory New Game

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 187 19.5%

• Total voters

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Ori is the safe bet, that game will be polished to a fine sheen by the time its out. More skeptical of Gears and Halo, can see those toeing the higher 80s, low 90s line. Hopeful for both as an X owner.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable IV, which will just be called Fable.

I think Ori, Halo and FH have good shots. I predict Gears won't change much and it'll be divisive leading to a 80s MC.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Ori hopefully. Still need to play the first one - and I have it for more than a year...

But those 8/10 scores are a danger to all! So forza horizon is the only one of those that's guaranteed, I think.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Halo will probably be in the 90s, but it will be the last of the games listed in the poll to be released.

However it'll only be in the 90s though because critics are far too kind to the series. Master chief collection was completely broken at launch and remained broken for years and it had a mid 80s meta critic score.

After master chief collection, halo 4 and halo 5 I have absolutely no faith in 343 to make a good halo game.

Feb 10, 2018
Not surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for gears 5 in this poll.

But I think gears 5 will surprise peoples expectations.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
it takes alot more than a SOLID game to get a 90+

what are you talking about? microsoft only publishes the game!
Moon Studios has never been aquired by MS.

Street Fighter 5 was funded by Sony but that doesnt mean they OWN Capcom.
A developer does not have to be owned by the publisher for it to be a first party game, It's a first party game not first party studio. It's an MSGP game, a team at Xbox focused on working with independent developers to make first party games. The game is handled by MSGP, funded by MS, MS owns the IP and it's exclusive to MS platforms, how is that not first party? Maybe you think that because Ori 2 could release on steam, I would guess that won't happen due to play anywhere not being a thing back then. MS also published it on Steam, it being on steam still doesn't change that it's first party though, just it's exclusivity.

Ah, your trolling. I'm not going to waste my time.

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 is going to surprise a lot of people, I'm expecting big things from The Coalition and I think they'll get over 90MC, in saying that though Ori should drop first and I think that will easily do 90MC.

Yeah same here, feels like this is the Gears Rod has wanted to make for a long time, and with God of War, BotW, RE7 really changing things up, even forgetting its past, I think he has more then enough reason to leave old Gears behind and usher in the new. Fans are going to be upset, but of it's a great game they'll be replaced .

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Halo will probably be in the 90s, but it will be the last of the games listed in the poll to be released.

However it'll only be in the 90s though because critics are far too kind to the series. Master chief collection was completely broken at launch and remained broken for years and it had a mid 80s meta critic score.

After master chief collection, halo 4 and halo 5 I have absolutely no faith in 343 to make a good halo game.

In their defense, Halo 5 had amazing post launch support and ended up having crazy amount of content for what 30$ after 1 year. Halo MCC now is in a great place, if they add Halo Reach and custom browser, it will be magical.

Halo 4 SP and Halo 5 MP proves 343 can deliver great experiences but they need the whole package.

Phil Spencer like 343 realized Halo needed time off. Halo 5 and Halo MCC were brought out 6/12 months too early. Halo Infinite will have 5 years of Dev time, a new engine and a much bigger team all laser focused on 1 game unlike Halo MCC/Halo 5 during 2012-15. They will bring back Chief, will simplify the story unlike Halo 5 which had too many characters that we didn't know much about.

Halo Infinite might even be open-world which is not so crazy thinking about that trailer and it reminds me a lot of Halo CE. Also,Halo Infinite ends the trilogy which started with 4, so 343 will go ALL OUT!!

Have faith!

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't this been the longest gap a Halo game has had between each release?

It will be a Scarlett launch title, the new gen hype will easily get it to a 92+ imo.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Crackdown 3 duh (obvious answer is Ori), I think Gears 5 has a better chance than Halo. The Coalition are a better studio than 343i. Rod Ferguson is a good guy, I hope the game does well.

Terry Crews can make anything happen!

I think Crackdown 3 will have a higher metacritic than SoT and State of Decay 2. ( probably low 70s)

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Ori because it's releases first. It would be far easier to get 90s games is they went down the narrative driven route though. Reviews are pretty annoying for that reason.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Ori 5

Halo/Gears/FH5 look like candidates.

Dont forget FM8 though

You are right. FM7 was a game with a 2 year Dev Cycle and didn't significantly change gameplay, yet it got an 86.

I think FM8 with a 3 year dev cycle ( never happened?), a new Creative Director & as a next gen launch title has a lot going for it. It might well be a return to the 90s for the overshadowed Motorsport series.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Most of those will be upper 80s.

Halo on the other hand feels like its going to break new ground. I'm thinking 343 will mail it for the third time and deliver. That'll do over 90.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Not exactly the question, but Fable is the Xbox exclusive I'm the most excited about by a long, long way. I don't care for the Horizon games, but that studio have serious technical chops. And if it's single player focused, and of comparable scope to something like Horizon: Zero Dawn? Oh my... It really could be something very, very special.

I have zero faith in Halo Infinite. 343 have made two utterly bland games, and aiming for something seemingly far grander seems like the worst idea imaginable.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Ori for sure
Gears 5 = high 80's maybe 87
Forza Horizon 5 90+
Halo Infinite needs to be 90
Ninja Theory high 80's

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ori because it's releases first. It would be far easier to get 90s games is they went down the narrative driven route though. Reviews are pretty annoying for that reason.

The Order 1886, Ryse, Quantum Break, Assassin's Creed, InFamous Second Son and many others point to that not necessarily being the case. Conversely, many of the 90+ rated games this gen have very little emphasis on narrative.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably Ori. It's an indie darling that's a great metroidvania, has pretty graphics and nice music. As long as they make it as good as the first, it's pretty likely to stay above 90.

Gears 5 isn't unless it's borderline revolutionary for the series. It's obvious that many people are tired of the formula outside of big Gears fans (like me. Gears 4 is fine), so they're going to have to shake things up to get people excited again.

Halo Infinite is a wild card. Way too early to say.

Forza Horizon might? Hard to say if people will be tired of the formula by the 5th entry. I imagine it's going to have some crazy cloud technology that will be their big thing to make it exciting.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Every game in the poll has a decent chance of it. I wouldn't be that surprised if they all managed 90+ but I don't see any of them going higher than 93.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The Order 1886, Ryse, Quantum Break, Assassin's Creed, InFamous Second Son and many others point to that not necessarily being the case. Conversely, many of the 90+ rated games this gen have very little emphasis on narrative.

Feel its always worth an extra 10 points or so. Reviewers love those types of games.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh Ori is in arround 6 months. And we believe the next Forza is not coming next year. Forza Motorsport that is.

Didn't Turn 10 say they're not working on the next Forza atm? I assumed it would take a year break and launch with the next Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if Forza Horizon 4 was the last Forza for this gen.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Looking at the 90+ MC games from Switch, PS4 and XBO, gameplay focused experiences are much more common than cinematic/narrative focused titles.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be Ori. I know it's hard to get into that 90+, but the industry loves to reward sophomore refinements, and Ori looks all about quality refinement.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
We don't even know what Ninja Theory is making though tbh, all we know is that they made a game like Hellblade with a micro staff and budget so expectations should be fairly high, at least high 80's

3 games though, Playgrounds RPG, The Initiatives game and Obsidians need to be 90+

If Initiative gets even an 89 it'll be an instant L for them given how much investment and talent is going in the studio.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
We don't even know what Ninja Theory is making though tbh, all we know is that they made a game like Hellblade with a micro staff and budget so expectations should be fairly high, at least high 80's

3 games though, Playgrounds RPG, The Initiatives game and Obsidians need to be 90+

If Initiative gets even an 89 it'll be an instant L for them given how much investment and talent is going in the studio.

This is a joke post right?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think the mainline forza is mainstream enough to score 90s. But that's just my personal opinion on racing games like that and gran tourismo that are more sim-ish and trend towards realism.

Halo and gears would need to knock it out of the park instead of being more of the same.