• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Xbox Exclusive will be the next to hit 90+ on Metacritic ?

• Halo Infinite

Votes: 114 11.9%
  • Gears 5

Votes: 63 6.6%
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Votes: 555 57.9%
  • Ninja Theory New Game

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 187 19.5%

• Total voters

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Ori 2 and FH5 easily. The other 3 I doubt. Really enjoyed Ori 1 and I think it can only get better.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a real easy question.
Ori will be, I don't even have faith in any of the other titles listed. Ori will be though.
Love this thread, thanks for the confidence, haha! :)

If we don't get 90+ Metacritic with Will of the Wisps, I'll probably drink myself to death. And I'm not even an alcoholic. We've been slaving away for so long just to make sure we hit every single beat and we're in full on polishing mode. Getting a game at this size to that level of quality is insanely hard work, but it'll pay off once I read all the comments here and watch all the playthroughs on Youtube. I can't wait for that to happen, but there's still quite a bit of work left to do before we can convince every single last one of you scrutinizing folks :D
I'm one of those scrutinizing folks lol, but I just know you are capable of pulling it off.
You game is the one I have the most faith in actually delivering.

Oct 27, 2017
Love this thread, thanks for the confidence, haha! :)

If we don't get 90+ Metacritic with Will of the Wisps, I'll probably drink myself to death. And I'm not even an alcoholic. We've been slaving away for so long just to make sure we hit every single beat and we're in full on polishing mode. Getting a game at this size to that level of quality is insanely hard work, but it'll pay off once I read all the comments here and watch all the playthroughs on Youtube. I can't wait for that to happen, but there's still quite a bit of work left to do before we can convince every single last one of you scrutinizing folks :D
Not many mediums of entertainment have stuck with me the way Ori and the Blind Forest did. The amount of work yourself and the rest of the team at Moon Studios put into it perfecting the narrative, music and artistry is something the games industry needs much more of.

I know Will of the Wisps will be more of the same (and a lot more). Can not wait to play it. I'm sure it will similarly blow me away and have that same emotional impact the first game did. Thank you for making such exceptional games.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sony Exclusives vs. Microsoft Exclusives > 90 Meta this gen would be an interesting piece of info to observe.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Count me out for will of the wisps. It looks fantastic but ori 1 is just too much trial and error platforming for my casual ass.(as good as it looks)
Itll probably be yet another forza horizon lol

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Really high chance it's Ori, I hope Halo will be that good, but Ori will release first either way.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think the only one will be the next Forza game, as those often score in the 90's. Ori is a good choice, but cracking that 90 threshold is really hard even for great games (which I think it will be).

I'm not entirely sure I understand Halo Infinite or Gears of War 5 getting votes based off of what we know. Gears 4 at 84 is obviously a good game, but that's a pretty significant jump to 90. And Halo Infinite, what does anybody even know about the game to believe it will reach that threshold when 343i has been pretty divisive and critically they are going in the wrong direction. Once we have more information maybe we can adjust expectations, but it seems premature to predict 90+ for that game.

I hope Ninja Theory and Obsidian's game get 90+ though.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I don;t think Halo or Gears ever will again unless they do something *drastically* different. They're just too much of a known quantity to be that impressive

Halo Infinite is doing something drastically different including replacing a 20 year old outdated engine. Games like Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 and God of War 2018 were huge successes because they reinvented themselves, Halo Infinite looks to be going in that same direction.

Gears not to that extent but it looks like it's doing enough to shake things up and land in the high 80's

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Most likely forza horizon, maybe ori...the rest you all are just counting the chickens before they are hatched.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I think Gears 5 is in a pretty good position to evolve the franchise as 4 laid out a pretty solid groundwork for the core elements of Gears similar to Halo 4/5 and (hopefully) Infinite.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It was given an extra year of dev time for a reason and that reason is not to get a 60 metacritic.
They said that the game was "pretty much done" a few months ago, and was delayed into 2019 for "polish". X018 showcased how it still looks like it's going to get a 60 metacritic. It did not look good, though visuals are clearly the least of its problems. It releases in almost 2 months exactly, and you'd expect them to have shown much more of the game looking great, if it was great, if it was "pretty much done" 6 months before launch and only needed polish.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
You have a strange definition of the word « impossible ». The first Ori sits just below the 90% mark. It's not even that hard to imagine the sequel could have a chance to hit 90.

As for the other games, there's definitely no guarantee they can hit those kind of scores, but if 343i revamps the Halo franchise, it definitely could hit a 90 metascore game like most of the previous ones. Not by any means « impossible ».
I said first parties. Moon Studio isn't one of MS's in-house studios.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sony Exclusives vs. Microsoft Exclusives > 90 Meta this gen would be an interesting piece of info to observe.

this gen is almost over and so far, i think only the Forza Horizon games managed to get over 90 on the Xbox side.

i think most of the studio buys by MS are prepping for nextgen instead of xbone so this topic is more appropriate when both sony and Microsoft (and nintendo) has shown their cards.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
FH5 will, probably.
Before that, Ori might.
Gears will be just below that at 86-89
Ninja theory will be 76-79. Peculiar little-ish game, not universally appreciated, but with a few undeniably great qualities some people will absolutely love.
Halo is where my crystal ball draws a blank. Hopefully they nail it.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Really hard to predict. I don't think Halo or Gears will manage a 90 or even close. I doubt Ninja Theory will but until we know what they're actually making it's a complete guess. Ori might, but it may be harder to surprise with a sequel than it was with the original. You'd presume Forza Horizon will hit 90, though I always wonder at which point fatigue might set in with the franchise, I certainly feel less enamored with each passing game. They're doing a decent job at keeping things fresh but it becomes harder and harder when pumping out something on the regular.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
FH5 will, probably.
Before that, Ori might.
Gears will be just below that at 86-89
Ninja theory will be 76-79. Peculiar little-ish game, not universally appreciated, but with a few undeniably great qualities some people will absolutely love.
Halo is where my crystal ball draws a blank. Hopefully they nail it.

Wait, Ninja Theory at 76-79. I think you underestimate their qualities. Hellblade while niche was a fantastic game for the budget and was a great showcase for story telling which Xbox needs.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Ori, but I have a feeling that Halo might end up hitting that 90+ spot as well. If not the the high 80s.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Wait, Ninja Theory at 76-79. I think you underestimate their qualities. Hellblade while niche was a fantastic game for the budget and was a great showcase for story telling which Xbox needs.

I don't, i just think their next game won't have the universal appeal of other 'bigger' productions, but will definitely have many quality not usually found in AAA games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ninja Theory generally work on AAA titles, not necessarily mid sized niche ones. See DmC, Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. That they haven't had much commercial or to a lesser extent critical success in the AAA segment doesn't mean they haven't had a stab at it multiple times already.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
After having played through Halo 3, 4 and 5 for the first time this year and feeling like the media made 4 and 5 look worse than they were in comparison to the other games, I'm kinda rooting for 343 here. They are clearly very very talented. They just need a better story and the allowance to modernize the feel and move set.