• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Xbox Exclusive will be the next to hit 90+ on Metacritic ?

• Halo Infinite

Votes: 114 11.9%
  • Gears 5

Votes: 63 6.6%
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Votes: 555 57.9%
  • Ninja Theory New Game

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 187 19.5%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2018
I have been really enjoying my time with FH4 and felt that it really deserved to be a 90+ Metacritic game.

Era, I have a simple Question, which Xbox Exclusive will be the next to hit 90+ on Metacritic ? Please explain your choices, will be interesting.

I personally feel that it will be Ori and the Will of the Wisps followed by Forza Horizon 5. I don't think Halo Infinite, Gears 5 or the next Ninja Theory game will hit it( High 80s).

Ori and the Will of the Wisps trailers are really looking good, the creators say they are really honing in on the best traits of the Ori and the Blind Forest and seem to be treating it with a lot of care.

The Coalition and 343 have way TOO much to prove and I don't know if they really can deliver that great game. Ninja Theory will have a very good game but I feel it might be high 88/89.

Note: PC Launches are included too since all future Xbox Exclusives will be there too.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Ori, but Halo Infinite really needs to nail it, this console generation has not been good for halo.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I feel like Halo Infinite has a very real chance but my heart voted for Ori. I do believe they'll start making some great steps with Halo though.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): System wars and continued pattern of trolling
Where is the none option?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori or FH5.

Gears I think it could get overlooked because of a lack of gameplay improvements.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Probably Ori, but Halo Infinite really needs to nail it, this console generation has not been good for halo.

It started rough, sure. But now is the best time for Halo fans. The Master Chief Collection is everything it should have been on day one with 4K/60 for each of the games on XBox One X, and Halo 5's got a great and healthy Multiplayer community. That campaign was certainly rough, but the game is solid.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018

Wow, thats bold. I feel Halo has burnt too many bridges. If they go Classic Halo, new Halo fans will complain and vice versa. Sprint etc. debate won't be unanimous in any new game.

Gears 4 was a safe bet and with 3 years of Dev time, I am really not sure the Coalition can make a REALLY different yet new game. Would love to be surprised though.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ori or FH5 are the only things I see getting close. Ori should be a guarantee based on the quality of the last one.

Also the new polls look like shit on RE 2.0 for me. EDIT: NVM still just not loading lol

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ori is next.
Gears 5 might be able to do it.
I also think with 343 taking their time on infinite, they'll be able to do ship out a great game.
Thankfully they're no longer on that 3 yr time table between titles.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Ori. Favorite Metroidvania since 2D Metroid.

Despite how much I dislike Halo 5's campaign, have a good feeling about Halo Infinite. Think it'll come back pumping LL Cool J in the background. "Don't call it a comeback!".....

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about Ori, yeah I guess that could make it.

Otherwise I think it'll be something on the next machine that reaches that milestone.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Ori or FH5 are the only things I see getting close. Ori should be a guarantee based on the quality of the last one.

Also the new polls look like shit on RE 2.0 for me. EDIT: NVM still just not loading lol
Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be a masterpiece. Period.
I think Ori is next.
Gears 5 might be able to do it.
I also think with 343 taking their time on infinite, they'll be able to do ship out a great game.
Thankfully they're no longer on that 3 yr time table between titles.
Ori 1 should have had it already. So Ori 2 should get it.

I really loved Ori 1 too. Do you think it can touch 95?

Can't even remember the last AA game to score a 95.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Ori should be but the original is only at 88 on metacritic, so I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't get 90+. I'm not confident a Gears game would get 90+ either.

So I'd say it's between Ninja Theory, Halo Infinite and FH5. Depending on which comes out first (I'm assuming these will be good). So most likely FH5, as long as franchise fatigue doesn't set in.

Do we know how far along Obsidian is with their next project?

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Forgot Ori (first is a masterpiece), voted FH5(for sure a 90+)

I don't think Gears can handle a 90+ anymore.

Halo Infinite I really hope it come back to gold years...but 343 still need to prove they can do it.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
they all multiplatform games and ori is not first party so i wont even count that.
outdide of forza horizon which has been getting 90 or higher for the last 2 games none of them studios got what it takes to make a 90 plus game.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Ori should be but the original is only at 88 on metacritic, so I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't get 90+. I'm not confident a Gears game would get 90+ either.

So I'd say it's between Ninja Theory, Halo Infinite and FH5. Depending on which comes out first (I'm assuming these will be good). So most likely FH5, as long as franchise fatigue doesn't set in.

Do we know how far along Obsidian is with their next project?

Hmm, Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire came out only this year.

I don't think MS bought them to deliver a 2 yr AA game. I think its going to be Fallout type AAA RPG releasing in 2021 Fall/2022 Spring.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I picked Ori but Halo 5 and Gears 4 weren't too far off. I wouldn't take a miracle to reach a 90 with either of those I reckon. I'm loving the look of Gears 5, I hope it does great things. I feel like there's a consensus that both games were meh by a lot of people but they both hit MC scores of 84. They're still very good, top tier exclusives.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely go Ori, the first reviewed very well and Ori has a lot of potential to grow. Everything we have heard and seen of the game sounds very promising, so I would bet it's likely.

they all multiplatform games and ori is not first party so i wont even count that.
outdide of forza horizon which has been getting 90 or higher for the last 2 games none of them studios got what it takes to make a 90 plus game.
Ignoring the exclusive semantics, Ori is definitely first party. MS owns the IP and funds the development, MSGP looks over the project.

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all those, only FH5. Too few people continue to understand how seemingly unattainable and rare 90+ is in this landscape of coverage.

Most of all, though, there is a real tendency for franchises that have already attained a certain amount of acclaim in the past to continue to receive it, barring some disastrous factors technical or otherwise. Conversely, reputations are tough to budge once they've been established, and some franchises face more of an uphill battle and might be more scrutinized i. e. Halo Infinite after Halo 5. With the last two Forza Horizons receiving universal acclaim, it would be a safer bet that critics will reward it as 'keeping the high standards that the franchise has become known for' than any of those others.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018

Well, then none of Xbox's exclusives can be considered since they are all on PC.

I think with time, money and a great team, you will be surprised. All of these games are going to be solid games for sure especially Gears and Halo with the time and teams they have, its a question of them making a GREAT game rather than a good/very good game.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of those. Ori will be in the mid 80s which is good let's not act like it isn't.

Forza Horizon 5 will probably face some reviewer backlash over the way 4's been handled since it released and the fact that they're running out of ways to keep that series fresh.

Ninja Theory doesn't have it in them to make a 90+ caliber game. Their best shot was Hellblade and they still didn't do it.

Gears and Halo are both declining franchises that, so far, haven't changed that much. We'll see what happens with these next games but if they end up like gears 4 and halo 5 they're only going to continue to lose traction with reviewers.

It's just really hard to get into the 90s nowadays. There's even media goty contenders every year that don't break that barrier, like Horizon last year (89).

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Out of all those, only FH5. Too few people continue to understand how seemingly unattainable and rare 90+ is in this landscape of coverage.

Most of all, though, there is a real tendency for franchises that have already attained a certain amount of acclaim in the past to continue to receive it, barring some disastrous factors technical or otherwise. Conversely, reputations are tough to budge once they've been established, and some franchises face more of an uphill battle and might be more scrutinized i. e. Halo Infinite after Halo 5. With the last two Forza Horizons receiving universal acclaim, it would be a safer bet that critics will reward it as 'keeping the high standards that the franchise has become known for' than any of those others.

I agree. Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata are great games and both should have been 90+ in my opinion but were not.

But you could argue we have had a few 90+ games from all 3 platforms in the last 3 years:

Xbox: FH3, FH4
Sony : Bloodborne, God of War
Nintendo : Zelda BoTW, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe