• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
So I was browsing the upcoming release section on Steam and decided to click on some generic ass sounding game called "RockShot"for whatever reason. I started watching the trailer and certain things started feeling weirdly familiar.

Djx9CLs.png

Hey, I recognize that trainyard.

DPjjNsr.png

Hey, I recognize that desert.

QjoceYs.png

HEY, I RECOGNIZE THAT CHICKEN.

WHAT'S GOING ON.

bmSsEZR.png

Oh, it's that Valhalla studio making the Naruto game.

That's right. All your faves are dead, but Devil's Third mockingly lives on.

The Wii U multiplayer was actually pretty fun when it wasn't running at 20fps.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I try to open the link but I get redirected to the Steam front page.

I guess it's region-locked?

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
The link just goes to the Steam Main Page for me

Can't even find a game called "Rockshot" on it

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
OH shiiiiit.

This is like a terrible version of MGO, which is interesting enough to me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I knew that VGS retained the right to turn the multiplayer component into a PC release. I didn't expect them to rebrand the game, but then again, maybe calling it "Devil's Third: PC Edition" would have been a terrible idea.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I had a ton of fun with Devil's Third's MP on WiiU, and was lamenting that we never got the PC version. This seems like an improved version. I hope it comes out soon, I would love to give it a go.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Yoooo what! I was hoping it would come back, the multiplayer in Devil's Third was the best part about it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Loved Devil's Third online component. The way Nintendo handled that and dropped it so early really made me lose a lot of faith in them as a publisher.

Hope the F2P elements in this are not too bad. I recall some scummy stuff in the Wii U game but things can change.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Okay but does it have the Siege mode though? The rest of the multiplayer is not essential, siege mode is.

Edit: watching the trailer. It does. Hell yeah baby... now I wonder if my old-ass computer will run it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The way Nintendo handled that and dropped it so early really made me lose a lot of faith in them as a publisher.
Unfortunately, both critics and players kept shitting on the game, saying it sucks hard and that it's the worst Wii U game. Which is totaly nonsense, but. You know. When your metacritic score is at 43, there is not that much to do when you are a publisher. You see this as a faillure and ok let's save money for another game, not for this thing with a bad metacritic score that almost no one know it even exist. Unfortunately, even if I think the game is a little bit underrated... Nintendo couldn't do anything more. It was a huge fail.

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Devil's Third online component. The way Nintendo handled that and dropped it so early really made me lose a lot of faith in them as a publisher.

Hope the F2P elements in this are not too bad. I recall some scummy stuff in the Wii U game but things can change.
lmao blame valhalla, the game is really really bad, at least Nintendo actually released it.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
lmao blame valhalla, the game is really really bad, at least Nintendo actually released it.
As someone who logged over 300 hours in the multiplayer, I thank you for your enlightening and insightful comment.

Edit:

The game's problem, among other things mentioned earlier like reception, was that since the playerbase was so small, trolls and exploiters had the upper hand. And I don't mean any cheating, just exploiting the fact that the game didn't let you manage sieges properly, especially for times when you were not online. Being able to ban mercenaries for example would help. This wouldn't be such an issue if there were more players but with not so many people online at any given time it made it difficult to maintain your clan and no doubt made many players just leave and never come back.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
We all like bad games from time to time, you can't just blame everyone else and Nintendo rather than Valhalla. They made a bad game that some people enjoyed, no harm in that.
As I'm reading your comment I remember that one time when some journalists (forgot the outlet) tried to review the online mode. They recorded it all. Didn't know what was going on and left after like ten minutes. They made a bad review and some people ate it up, no harm in that.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
DT's MP was godlike, warts and all.

I really miss it.

DT was a janky game, an unpolished game, a very silly game, but it certainly wasn't bad, anything but.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Even assuming they made a really good multiplayer mode, I think the game would have died because it was positioned as a full package with the story campaign being an action game from the director of Ninja Gaiden. Expectations were there and that was what most people looked at. It sucked, so no one wanted to buy the game. This is a good example of why product perception is important. If you make a really good multiplayer game, sell and market that. Don't put it as a feature along a weak campaign that should probably have been canned. That's probably why Black Ops IIII is MP only with the campaign canned when it wasn't up the scratch.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed what I played of the multiplayer in all honesty, which admittedly wasn't a lot, considering it shut down like 4 days after I got it XD.

My problem with it was the sensitivity. Like, I couldn't find a sensitivity that felt acceptable for me. It almost reminded me of Warframe movement wise.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Even assuming they made a really good multiplayer mode, I think the game would have died because it was positioned as a full package with the story campaign being an action game from the director of Ninja Gaiden. Expectations were there and that was what most people looked at. It sucked, so no one wanted to buy the game. This is a good example of why product perception is important. If you make a really good multiplayer game, sell and market that. Don't put it as a feature along a weak campaign that should probably have been canned. That's probably why Black Ops IIII is MP only with the campaign canned when it wasn't up the scratch.
You're probably right. I honestly didn't think the single player sucked as bad as some people say. I enjoyed it about as much as any CoD single player campaign, which doesn't say a lot, but is also not all that horrible.

Still, compared to the multiplayer component, it was pretty insignificant.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
So what's going on with this Rockshot?

Is it really developed by Valhalla? Who are the Soleil devs mentioned in the OP?

Is this a blatant copy or Valhalla were involved?

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I've really wanted to try Devil's Third MP but it shut down too soon. I want to get excited for this and give it a try, but its future looks so incredibly uncertain in today's market that, honestly, I'm not sure if it's worth risking my time for it.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Soleil's website mentions both RockShot and Devil's Third Online among projects, however. Still, it's unlikely that they would release two similar games, so this is probably what it morphed into.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
No one can get into any matches right now. Really sucks, so I hope they can fix it soon. Played through the tutorial and I forgot how great a lot of it felt!

We all like bad games from time to time, you can't just blame everyone else and Nintendo rather than Valhalla. They made a bad game that some people enjoyed, no harm in that.
You realize almost literally none of the reviews had access to the portion of the game people actually liked, right? No one likes the single player mode. The online however is really unique and relatively solid.

Nintendo gave the game a limited release initially (seriously almost no one could find it) and made the servers separate between regions. Disconnecting the servers as early as they was just BS.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't download it in the UK as when you click on the Install button nothing happens. They know about it though going by the Steam forums for it so hopefully sorted a bit later.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
This is so weird and I love it.

Devil's Third is also pretty emulatable on PC at this point as well.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Soleil's website mentions both RockShot and Devil's Third Online among projects, however. Still, it's unlikely that they would release two similar games, so this is probably what it morphed into.
No, Devil's Third Online came out. It was Japan only and Nexon helped publish it. It died in Jan last year.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-ends-service-in-march-after-9-months/.110887

RockShot is just a complete rebranding because Devil's Third is an IP that will get you laughed at after two failures.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I'm downloading it now. Who wants to start a ResetERA clan for the game. Personally I'm hyped for this and it needs more attention. Devil's Third's multiplayer was a blast of silly action and fun modes so it deserves some attention and love.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
No one can get into any matches right now. Really sucks, so I hope they can fix it soon. Played through the tutorial and I forgot how great a lot of it felt!

You realize almost literally none of the reviews had access to the portion of the game people actually liked, right? No one likes the single player mode. The online however is really unique and relatively solid.

Nintendo gave the game a limited release initially (seriously almost no one could find it) and made the servers separate between regions. Disconnecting the servers as early as they was just BS.

Is there controller support or are you playing with mouse and keyboard?

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Just tried to jump in, getting a network error and then the game boots me out. Couldn't even play the tutorial. Are the servers just not up yet?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of always wanted to try this. Nintendo really fucked up not focusing on promoting the MP aspects and just pushing that.

In hindsight, especially witht he popularity of some MP games today they may have been able to carve out an audience on WiiU and transfer it to Switch. They just didn't have the foresight on these kinds of games for the West.

I guess the other question is the MP actually good enough to sustain a Ftp game? It always looked cool in videos

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Is there controller support or are you playing with mouse and keyboard?
They say there is no support, but you can control everything just like it was set up in the Wii U game on an Xbox controller. Even the menus.

Just tried to jump in, getting a network error and then the game boots me out. Couldn't even play the tutorial. Are the servers just not up yet?
The servers are down while they try to fix the issues they are going through. They are pretty vocal on the Steam forums but there seems to be no ETA for when they will be back up at the moment.

I wish this did not launch as early as it did. People are swarming in to give it negative reviews immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
if this is just devil's third MP but cleaned up and tweaked a little, I'll give it a shot.

It was a cool mode on Wii U but ran like shit and was laggy on top of that.

If Devil's Third had come out in 2007 on 360/PS3 like originally planned that MP mode might've made a pretty big splash

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember how hype that debut trailer for Devil's Third was.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It wasn't a bad game though.

It was rough as hell around the edges but the single-player campaign was perfectly serviceable and the mutliplayer incredibly fun.

I'd pay 40 bucks for a current-gen version running at 60fps with a few tweaks and a dash of extra polish.