• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Worked through the PGW show yesterday, so this morning I decided to sit down and catch up. I'd seen a few tweets about the violence in TLOU2 trailer, and yeah, that was pretty crazy. But as a child from a physically and verbally abusive home, constantly waiting for the next drunken (also sober) outbreak from my father when he lashed out at my mother, and then later at me after she left, I've been sitting here for about half an hour after watching it, just kind of staring at my keyboard, eyes welling up, mostly just pissed, not sure what else.

Apparently even in my mid-40s now, the scars are still there. When my father died, I didn't cry in the ambulance on the way to the hospital with him, at the wake, or at the funeral. It wasn't until years later going through a bunch of boxes during a move that I came across the condolence cards from the funeral that it really hit me hard, not because I missed him, because it never did, but because I missed having a childhood that wasn't filled with fear and violence.

I haven't shed a tear about my childhood since then, until this morning, and I'm still just sitting here trying really hard to think about something else. Not sure I'll play Detroit, not sure I can play Detroit, but I've never had anything game related shake me as much as that trailer did.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm sorry you went through all that. I haven't seen the new trailer but I am skeptical of the game's ability to tackle sensitive topics after the E3 trailer.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wow, yeah. Really interesting that it can elicit those kinds of emotions. While you won't be playing the game, I really hope Cage pulls off the subject matter in that part of the game.

And yeah, I was far more shaken at that trailer than I was at the brutal violence of the TLOUII trailer.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm sorry to hear that! Perhaps try doing something that you know will elevate your mood!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about opening a thread about this. In my opinion it's incredibly irresponsible to present a scene like that without any kind of trigger warning in the context of a media briefing like this. People who suffer from panic attacks or similiar stuff had absolutely no chance to disengage, it was just thrown in their face. Just put up a 10-second warning screen, allowing people to turn off to not spend the next 30 minutes with a panic attack, feeling like they'll die from a heart attack.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP. I thought the TLOU2 was shocking, nothing more. But that Detroit trailer was more horrifying because I could see that situation happening in a world with androids. That and the connections to domestic/child abuse.

I'm really hoping Cage and the other 2 writers can knock it outta the park on this one. These are sensitive issues and they need to be handled with care. Perhaps the game will be filled with smaller interesting scenarios under an overarching narrative?

By the way OP, have you ever considered therapy? Just talking to someone about can help.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am sorry to hear you went through such experience. But to me that is the point of this game. It grabs you and puts you on the edge of your seat by putting you in such sensitive scenarios and telling you that your decisions matter. This is what makes them appealing to their audience. And the show was rated 18+ at the begining. So just like any other medium when they say 18+ there is a reason and they don't have to keep repeating that before every violent scene (this part is response to silentrob not the op).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who didn't experience that abuse it filled me with a sense of dread that I don't think I've experienced from a movie, game or trailer before. I can only imagine what an impact it would have if it also conjures up memories of a similarly traumatic event, so I'm sorry you had to experience that.

On a positive note I hope it serves to help people empathise with others who actually experience similar situations.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry to hear you went through such experience. But to me that is the point of this game. It grabs you and puts you on the edge of your seat by putting you in such sensitive scenarios and telling you that your decisions matter. This is what makes them appealing to their audience. And the show was rated 18+ at the begining. So just like any other medium when they say 18+ there is a reason and they don't have to keep repeating that before every violent scene (this part is response to silentrob not the op).
I doubt triggering PTSD is the point of the game. The point is that stuff like this should come with a content warning (and not just a generic 18+ label or whatever, that doesn't tell you anything).

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt triggering PTSD is the point of the game. The point is that stuff like this should come with a content warning (and not just a generic 18+ label or whatever, that doesn't tell you anything).

I don't necessarily disagree with that - i am undecided - but I think you'd end up with another vocal group who decried "spoilers" listed in front of every trailer.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't matter if you are 16 or 46, panics attacks and their effects have nothing to do with your age, growth or acceptance for violence or gore in media. You can be the biggest fan of the Saw movies and still get thrown into a horrible panic attack watching the trailer for Detroit. You are basically saying that anyone who suffers from traumatic experiences related to abuse, rape or similiar shouldn't watch anything video game related because they should always expect to get thrown into another traumatic experience. A short notice at the beginning of the video would hurt literally no one and help tens of thousands.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
sorry to hear you went through that OP, and it had a similar effect when i showed my mum who went through something similar with her father.

it's certainly a powerful scene and i imagine a tough one to play through even without that sort of connection to your past. the choices probably won't come easy when i play it, i just hope cage handles it well. he tends to have a habit of using emotion in a heavy handed way.

for instance people praised his Kara tech demo of which Detroit is based, as did i, but the emotional impact of that scene wasn't special because of david cage's writing, he literally put a crying girl, begging to exist in a room where robots tore her to bits, it's pretty bottom of the barrel stuff in terms of emotional manipulative writing. i just hope this isn't the same situation.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with that - i am undecided - but I think you'd end up with another vocal group who decried "spoilers" listed in front of every trailer.
Spoilers for the trailer they're about to watch? Come on now. Even if that's true who cares? That's not even nearly as important.

Also David Cage is a complete hack so if anyone is hoping he will handle any of the game's subject matter with grace, elegance, or tact should probably not play it. His past work speaks for itself.

Darji

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No Maybe if this kind of stuff happens in the first few seonds without any warning.

But also with the Detroit Trailer you had more than a minute to see where this goes. It is your responsibility to consider if you are ready for this or not. That is what adults do. I am sorry what did happen to the OP but he also could clearly see where this were going and he had the choice to say "Stop I can not watch this" and then either skip or close the stream etc.

Also I would consider this a spoiler. It will be far more impactful when you are getting dragged into the atmosphere and without knowing what will happen. Again you can decide all the time to stop watching it or keep going.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I was fortunate enough to be raised in a loving home so I cant even imagine how that feels for you. Regardless this trailer also made me quite emotional and empathize with people like you quite a bit, so I think its a good theme to tackle for a game. Its clearly presented as a terrible, terrible thing that you as a player should try to avoid. Even if it contains a failstate this scenario is very powerful and makes one uncomfortable with a very real thing that happens constantly in the world. Its good to be made aware of that and Im glad you seemingly didnt take any offence from it (there probably should have been a warning though)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I understand that.

Also we need to keep in mind that many different things can trigger PTSD for different people based on the trauma they went through. So would it be practical to put a full list of PTSD warning sign before every trailer? Maybe one general one saying that the content can cause post traumatic responses in some individual.

Honestly not sure how they can make it informative without being too intrusive or too cluttered. For instance what triggers PTSD for a solider is different than what triggers PTSD for a abusive parents. How can they inform that the trailer is ok for soldiers but not OK for people with abusive parents.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if you are 16 or 46, panics attacks and their effects have nothing to do with your age, growth or acceptance for violence or gore in media. You can be the biggest fan of the Saw movies and still get thrown into a horrible panic attack watching the trailer for Detroit. You are basically saying that anyone who suffers from traumatic experiences related to abuse, rape or similiar shouldn't watch anything video game related because they should always expect to get thrown into another traumatic experience. A short notice at the beginning of the video would hurt literally no one and help tens of thousands.
An your making it seem like that it would solve the issue all together.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
No Maybe if this kind of stuff happens in the first few seonds without any warning.

But also with the Detroit Trailer you had more than a minute to see where this goes. It is your responsibility to consider if you are ready for this or not. That is what adults do. I am sorry what has happe to the OP but he also ould clearly see where this were going and he had the choice to say "Stop I can not watch this" and then either skip or close the stream etc.

When you realise what's happening and that it's part of your PTSD or similiar it's already too late because your body has already gone into alert mode. Doesn't matter if you turn it off then, the wheels have already been set into motion. This is about giving people to opportunity to disengage before that happens. Nobody wants to take anything away from anyone. It was a really good trailer. Just give people the possibility to disengage.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your experiences OP. David Cage always tries to handle dark/grim/abusive real world issues in his games. Arguments about how well he does it are an aside to his artistic endeavour to explore such concepts in his writing/this medium.

After this and TLoU 2 I think some people are going to be best to stop watching press conferences live and just watch trailers after the show and feedback has been given. Or watch the show after it's finished knowing the time stamps for content you want to avoid. Many games sites do live text commentary of the events as well.

Trying to help people with PTSD or trauma isn't about trying to change the world so that everyone needs to be part of the upsetting world's such victims are in. It's about helping victims get stronger, get more confident and find ways to navigate the real world. Hopefully long term actually reintegrate and be able to experience and enjoy content others do. In other words, heal, repair and be able to beat being a victim.

It's not meant as an offensive suggestion above to suggest that people who know they are still going through trauma watch events like this after they have aired. They are rated 18+ and this medium, gaming, is producing far better graphics than ever before. That is a reasonable solution to not sitting through anything you might not be able to handle like others who sit through it. There isn't a need to watch these events live, nor sit through trailers for games that aren't personally suitable for your viewing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about opening a thread about this. In my opinion it's incredibly irresponsible to present a scene like that without any kind of trigger warning in the context of a media briefing like this. People who suffer from panic attacks or similiar stuff had absolutely no chance to disengage, it was just thrown in their face. Just put up a 10-second warning screen, allowing people to turn off to not spend the next 30 minutes with a panic attack, feeling like they'll die from a heart attack.

Not everything needs a trigger warning, sorry. If people regularly suffer from panic attacks, like I do, then they should go to therapy and learn to control them. Therapy works. Trying to mask the problem behind trigger warnings and such does not.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry you had to revisit those painful memories OP.

I think it's inexcusable how people like David Cage exploit people's very real suffering for cheap entertainment.

Sensitive issues should be interpreted with a gentle hand, not broadcast on a big screen for cheers and thrills. Absolutely revolting.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But also with the Detroit Trailer you had more than a minute to see where this goes. It is your responsibility to consider if you are ready for this or not. That is what adults do. I am sorry what has happe to the OP but he also ould clearly see where this were going and he had the choice to say "Stop I can not watch this" and then either skip or close the stream etc.

Also I would consider this a spoiler. It will be far more impactful when you are getting dragged into the atmosphere and without knowing what will happen. Again you can decide all the time to stop watching it or keep going.

Exactly. Seeing a lot kid gloves type shot being throw around in regards to these game related reactions and I'm starting to think that most of these folks aren't adults and don't know how to ake adult decision in regards to how they handle or consume obvious adult content or subject matter. Sorry to the OP but game developers and story telling shouldn't have to step through mine fields.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that.

Also we need to keep in mind that many different things can trigger PTSD for different people based on the trauma they went through. So would it be practical to put a full list of PTSD warning sign before every trailer? Maybe one general one saying that the content can cause post traumatic responses in some individual.

Honestly not sure how they can make it informative without being too intrusive or too cluttered.
It's literally just a screen before the trailer with a content warning describing the following scene contains scenes of domestic abuse or whatever the case may be. This isn't a complicated or new thing outside of games. It's a courtesy to people who might genuinely experience PTSD and doesn't take anything away from those who don't.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally just a screen before the trailer with a content warning describing the following scene contains scenes of domestic abuse or whatever the case may be. This isn't a complicated or new thing outside of games. It's a courtesy to people who might genuinely experience PTSD and doesn't take anything away from those who don't.
I'm confused here, if you suffer from PTSD. Why would a person play any game related to a potential violent or trigger-able situation? especially if it's rated at a certain level. Especially when it's been shown that Detroit just like Cages pervious games deal in mature subject matter.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Sad that you'll probably have to miss out on this title do to the emotional stress the game gives you. While I don't think that games shouldn't tackle topics like this, I don't think David Cage is the right guy to do it. Also, probably not something you should show at a conference... it felt really awkward to try and sell it like that when in the context of the game it probably isn't a 5 minute scene and is more drawn out to build emotion and tension. The whole presentation was poorly handled and feels like the trailer was making this event seem fun but it's not.

Darji

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you realise what's happening and that it's part of your PTSD or similiar it's already too late because your body has already gone into alert mode. Doesn't matter if you turn it off then, the wheels have already been set into motion. This is about giving people to opportunity to disengage before that happens. Nobody wants to take anything away from anyone. It was a really good trailer. Just give people the possibility to disengage.
But PTSD is something that can be triggered by everything that has to do with the situation you have experienced.

Games should be treated like movies imo and as far as I kow you also have no trigger warnings. If you really fear such a thing happening maybe it should be your ressponsibility to not watch a live stream or trailer of games with more heavy context which David Cage games usually have.

Oct 27, 2017

As someone who was molested three times by three people I trusted as a kid, as well as having an abusive and alcoholic father, and as someone who has had PTSD and severe panic and anxiety issues because of it, you don't get better by hiding and looking away. Sorry, you just don't. Trigger warnings and not confronting anything that may bring back those memories do much more harm than good.

By hiding or running away, you just keep on building up the panic and anxiety bubble until it bursts and your reaction is a thousand times worse.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

I think it's inexcusable how people like David Cage exploit people's very real suffering for cheap entertainment.

Sensitive issues should be interpreted with a gentle hand, not broadcast on a big screen for cheers and thrills. Absolutely revolting.

???

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Not everything needs a trigger warning, sorry. If people regularly suffer from panic attacks, like I do, then they should go to therapy and learn to control them. Therapy works. Trying to mask the problem behind trigger warnings and such does not.

I'm seriously happy that you got over them with therapy and managed to control them. Even during and after therapy, however, many therapists will encourage you to stay away from media that is known to relate to your traumatic experiences. You are not trying to "mask" the problem with trigger warnings, you are trying to lead a healthy life.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that.

Honestly not sure how they can make it informative without being too intrusive or too cluttered.

I don't think content warnings need to be that specific. Quick, vague warnings like "extreme violence" or "graphic sexual content" are perfectly fine. People that are worried about triggers can hold off on watching until they have more information. Something like that would be simple, helpful, and unobtrusive. It's basically the same system used for red band trailers in the movie world.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you've just condemned every serious drama production that deals with some sort of suffering. i couldn't disagree more.

Oct 25, 2017
Both this and the TLOU trailer were disgusting. This one more so to be honest since it was so tacky when tied into the "you could have made better choices!" concept. Incredibly offensive to anyone suffering from PTSD.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously happy that you got over them with therapy and managed to control them. Even during and after therapy, however, many therapists will encourage you to stay away from media that is known to relate to your traumatic experiences. You are not trying to "mask" the problem with trigger warnings, you are trying to lead a healthy life.

I've never seen a therapist tell you to hide from your problems. They teach you to overcome your fears, not run away everytime you have to confront them.

Sorry, I don't buy your argument unless you've talked to some pretty shitty therapists.

OP
OP
Kraken3dfx

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
By the way OP, have you ever considered therapy? Just talking to someone about can help.

I haven't, no, it's not something I consciously think about very often, but yeah, apparently it's still something that affects me when the trigger is there, so maybe it would be worth looking into, thanks for the advice.

Also, just wanted to say I didn't post this to call out the game or Cage for being insensitive or wanting to promote additional warnings prior to the trailer. I get that people might want to go that route or are actively against that, and I love that people on both sides are mostly respectful and empathetic with those individuals like me who have, even loosely, gone through similar experiences in their lives.

Thanks for the kind words, I feel a little better now, going to get some work done, and thankfully my copy of Mario Odyssey shows up today, so I'm going to play that later to take my mind off of things. :)

Oct 27, 2017
While I hope Detroit is a good game and successful in what it sets out to achieve, I really don't have much faith in David Cage doing scenarios like child abuse. I know he's not writing it this time, but I don't think he has enough subtlety or nuance to do a scenario like this justice.

Also, probably not something you should show at a conference... it felt really awkward to try and sell it like that when in the context of the game it probably isn't a 5 minute scene and is more drawn out to build emotion and tension. The whole presentation was poorly handled and feels like the trailer was making this event seem fun but it's not.

I think the whole point is to put androids in situations they know are tense or wrong and see whether they have empathy and choose to intervene.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that OP. Like TLOU trailer I feel there should have been a warning beforehand.

I do think it's interesting that devs are tackling sensitive subject matter like this, but then I remember that David Cage is behind it. I hope he proves me wrong, but his track record is pretty spotty when it comes to stuff like this. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If a piece of media is capable of drudging up memories and visceral responses, then therapy is a pretty clear no brainer.

Darji

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't, no, it's not something I consciously think about very often, but yeah, apparently it's still something that affects me when the trigger is there, so maybe it would be worth looking into, thanks for the advice.

Also, just wanted to say I didn't post this to call out the game or Cage for being insensitive or wanting to promote additional warnings prior to the trailer. I get that people might want to go that route or are actively against that, and I love that people on both sides are mostly respectful and empathetic with those individuals like me who have, even loosely, gone through similar experiences in their lives.

Thanks for the kind words, I feel a little better now, going to get some work done, and thankfully my copy of Mario Odyssey shows up today, so I'm going to play that later to take my mind off of things. :)
As someone who was mollested by my cousin as a child I can only say it is not very healthy to run away from it and the best you can do is to tackle and confront this in a therapy.

These kind of events will haunt your forever if you do not face them.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

Oh boy....
you've just condemned every serious drama production that deals with some sort of suffering. i couldn't disagree more.

Where's that like/ +1 button? Now is David Cage capable of doing a good job with sensitive material? That's something we'll find out at the game's release. But not being able to create a narrative around sensitive materials would only hold the medium back.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes because other forms of media and directors have never used real suffering for entertainment.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
While I hope Detroit is a good game and successful in what it sets out to achieve, I really don't have much faith in David Cage doing scenarios like child abuse. I know he's not writing it this time, but I don't think he has enough subtlety or nuance to do a scenario like this justice.

I think the whole point is to put androids in situations they know are tense or wrong and see whether they have empathy and choose to intervene.
Definitely, I'm willing to say that it works better in the game because like I said, it's not the length of a trailer, it's probably a situation that builds and builds but I don't think it worked for a trailer.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
But PTSD is something that can be triggered by everything that has to do with the situation you have experienced.

Games should be treated like movies imo and as far as I kow you also have no trigger warnings. If you really fear such a thing happening maybe it should be your ressponsibility to not watch a live stream or trailer of games with more heavy context which David Cage games usually have.

Movie trailers do have content warnings:

IVkPlTA.png

TV shows do too:

dAiYAhX.png

Is it just the word trigger that's throwing people off?

Darji

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Movie trailers do have content warnings:

IVkPlTA.png

TV shows do too:

dAiYAhX.png

Is it just the word trigger that's throwing people off?

You had these before the conference There was a maturity warning. A Trigger warning is also more detailed. Like even that happen for example not violence but sexual abuse, domestic violence etc. These are nothing I consider a triggerwarning since these kind of warnings do not help people with PTSD at all.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any faith in the talent behind the project to use it's own narrative elements with any sort of significant end (I have a decade of content to base that on), but it's possible you can harness that ham-fisted, impotent-to-it's-own-premise result from Cage as a way to capture and externalize/contextualize the pain from your own experiences. Even bad games have the ability to do that. Whether it's worth re-living that pain in that context is totally a personal choice.

One very interesting thing about David Cage's work is that it's a full-throated execution around some of these moments/ideas. The actual capacity of that creator is limited, but it is what it is. I've still enjoyed them, despite so many "eyebrows up" moments when he loses focus on his own symbolism or characterizations.

Last edited:

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sad that you'll probably have to miss out on this title do to the emotional stress the game gives you. While I don't think that games shouldn't tackle topics like this, I don't think David Cage is the right guy to do it. Also, probably not something you should show at a conference... it felt really awkward to try and sell it like that when in the context of the game it probably isn't a 5 minute scene and is more drawn out to build emotion and tension. The whole presentation was poorly handled and feels like the trailer was making this event seem fun but it's not.
At no point did I got the feeling that the trailer tried to be fun. It didnt promote a fun game either. It made me emphasize with the victims a lot and Im now eager to prevent that scenario as best as I can when the game drops which sounds like a good thing to me. To confront people with some of the nasty shit in this world that happens daily and encourage them to "fight it"

Oct 30, 2017
Oh boy....

Where's that like/ +1 button? Now is David Cage capable of doing a good job with sensitive material? That's something we'll find out at the game's release. But not being able to create a narrative around sensitive materials would only hold the medium back.
Not sure I agree with that. It's one thing it being in the game - depending on how it's dealt with it could be challenging in a good way. But people will be aware of that going in. Using it as your trailer, in a show amongst games like Onrush, didn't seem appropriate to me. I wasn't affected by this or TLOU2, but then again, my parents were never abusive (nor have I been half hung while watching someone get their arms broken, funnily enough). If they were the clips they think sell the games, then they don't give our community much credit, and particularly for the Detroit game seem insensitive that it could hit a little too close to home for some people. Just my opinion.
edit:spelling

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

First off, events like this on this scale simply do not exist in the movie sector, except for maybe Comic Con which mostly doesn't feature films and shows with heavy context and content like this, since that is mostly the area of arthouse films and not big AAA Hollywood blockbusters (the kind of films and series Comic Con aims for).

Secondly, content/'trigger' warnings in films are most definitely a thing. At most film festivals, if extreme content like this is shown, someone will come on stage before the film starts and warn the audience. Hell, often these films are accomanied on the website of film festivals and a lot of cinemas around here there will be a bolded warning on the website if a film contains extreme scenes of domestic abuse, rape, etc.

It's not like it's hard to do. For instance, l was at a festival last week where Angela Washko talked about her project The Game: The Game (focusing on Pick Up Artists) and she was constantly warning the audience whenever she was going to play a clip of her research and the game and even urged people who might have had bad experiences with non-consensual situations to leave the audience if they suffer from PTSD.

Dropping a trailer like this on a worldwide audience without a real warning is IMO very inconsiderate.

Darji

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First off, events like this on this scale simply do not exist in the movie sectors, except for maybe Comic Con which mostly doesn't feature films and shows with heavy context and content like this, since that is mostly the area of arthouse films and not big AAA Hollywood blockbusters (the kind of films and series Comic Con aims for).

Secondly, content/'trigger' warnings in films are most definitely a thing. At most film festivals, if a extreme content like this is shown, someone will come on stage before the film starts and warn the audience. Hell, often these films are accomanied on the website of film festivals and a lot of cinemas around here there will be a bolded warning on the website if a film contains extreme scenes of domestic abuse, rape, etc. For instance, l was at a festival last week where a Angela Washko talked about her project The Game: The Game (focusing on Pick Up Artists) and she was constantly warning the audience whenever she was going to play a clip of her research and the game and even urged people who might have had bad experiences with non-consensual situations to leave the audience if they suffer from PTSD.

Dropping a trailer like this on a worldwide audience without a real warning is IMO very inconsiderate.

This was also the result of the kind of festival and the overal theme or the persons ideology you have visited. xample Modern feminism loves their trigger warnings.

And awe are talking here about trailer not a full game. And I said before the most you get is this trailer features extreme violence not what kind of violence.

Also worldwide audience. no normal Person watches an hour press conference with game trailers. This is a show for gamer not the general audience who barly play games.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I agree with that. It's one thing it being in the game - depending on how it's dealt with it could be challenging in a good way. But people will be aware of that going in. Using it as your trailer, in a show amongst games like Onrush, didn't seem appropriate to me. I wasn't affected by this or TLOU2, but then again, my parents were never abusive (nor have I been half hung while watching someone get their arms broken, funnily enough). If they were the clips they think sell the games, then they don't give our community much credit, and particularly for the Detroit game seem insensitive that it could hit a little too close to home for some people. Just my opinion.
edit:spelling

On the other hand this is a way to show the topics the game will handle. "This is what Detroit: Become Human / The Last of Us Part II will be dealing with". It gives people an opportunity to know, beforehand, whether they can stomach the contents of the game based on a glimpse. Portraying a rosier version of these games than the ones that actually exist isn't a better way of dealing with tough subject matter, I don't think.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off, events like this on this scale simply do not exist in the movie sector...
Doesn't this happen in front of every movie though? they show trailers. it's really not that unusual. and that is wide release.