• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
mjkHuUX.gif

Welcome to the WhiskyEra thread!

All whisky talk is welcome here! Single Malt, blended, Scotch, whiskey, bourbon, grain, rye, oh my! All countries, all styles, all possibilities. So much delicious whisky, so little time, never enough money.

What are your favorite whiskies? What are you currently drinking? Are you a newbie or does the water of life flow through your veins?

So anyway, this is not a very fancy OP. I just wanted a place to talk whisky. Whisky is good.

Slainte!

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
Great idea for a thread. I'm fairly new to whisky. I'm not a big fan of the really peaty ones. Something like Ardberg Corryvreckan is interesting and different to try, but I would never buy a bottle. Actually, the one thing I've learned about whisky is to always try before buying a full bottle. I've got a couple of disappointments from airports.

My friend turned in his PhD thesis and we've been celebrating with a bottle of Dalmore 12. It's just a really easy to drink balanced whisky and I've really enjoyed it. I'm going to buy a bottle of Highland Park 18 when I turn in my thesis hopefully in February.

I visited Dublin last year and went to the Irish Whiskey Museum next to Trinity College. Was a lot of fun, would definitely recommend for anyone interested in the history of whiskey. Tried some single pot still whiskey which is an Irish specialty. It's made from a mix of malted and unmalted barley (single malt must be 100% malted barley hence the different name). This was originally done to avoid tax, but does give the whiskey a different flavor. I bought some Redbreast 15 and I've quite liked it.

I'd be really interested in trying more Japanese whiskys like the Yamazaki single malts, but availability outside of Japan seems really limited and the prices are high. I bought some Hibiki Japanese Harmony Master's Select, which is a special version of the Hibiki blend. It's good stuff and really great for a blend, but I wish it was smoother. It's a No Age Statement (NAS) whisky, so the majority of it is likely to be quite young. There is Hibiki 17 and 21 but those have the aforementioned problem of high prices and limited availability.

I don't know anything about bourbon or rye, will probably try some the next time I go to the US. Any recommendations?

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Great idea for a thread. I'm fairly new to whisky. I'm not a big fan of the really peaty ones. Something like Ardberg Corryvreckan is interesting and different to try, but I would never buy a bottle. Actually, the one thing I've learned about whisky is to always try before buying a full bottle. I've got a couple of disappointments from airports.

My friend turned in his PhD thesis and we've been celebrating with a bottle of Dalmore 12. It's just a really easy to drink balanced whisky and I've really enjoyed it. I'm going to buy a bottle of Highland Park 18 when I turn in my thesis hopefully in February.

I visited Dublin last year and went to the Irish Whiskey Museum next to Trinity College. Was a lot of fun, would definitely recommend for anyone interested in the history of whiskey. Tried some single pot still whiskey which is an Irish specialty. It's made from a mix of malted and unmalted barley (single malt must be 100% malted barley hence the different name). This was originally done to avoid tax, but does give the whiskey a different flavor. I bought some Redbreast 15 and I've quite liked it.

I'd be really interested in trying more Japanese whiskys like the Yamazaki single malts, but availability outside of Japan seems really limited and the prices are high. I bought some Hibiki Japanese Harmony Master's Select, which is a special version of the Hibiki blend. It's good stuff and really great for a blend, but I wish it was smoother. It's a No Age Statement (NAS) whisky, so the majority of it is likely to be quite young. There is Hibiki 17 and 21 but those have the aforementioned problem of high prices and limited availability.

I don't know anything about bourbon or rye, will probably try some the next time I go to the US. Any recommendations?
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Four Roses Single Barrel, or Stag Jr if you can find it.

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'd be really interested in trying more Japanese whiskys like the Yamazaki single malts, but availability outside of Japan seems really limited and the prices are high.

Availability inside Japan is limited. I could write a thesis on Japanese whisky and supply/demand market fuckery.

On a related note, a co-worker of mine just hooked me up with some Hibiki 17. I'm very excite.

I also just bought a sampler pack of Tomintoul whisky. It has the 10, 12 and 16. Never tried any of them before so I'm curious to see what they're like.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm close to Kentucky so Bourbon is what I drink most because it's the best value here

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I've been on this huge Manhattan kick and Sazerac kick. Baby Saz if you find it is the bomb.

I kind of cheat on the Manhattans as I like to really muddle the cherry in the Vermouth before adding the bitters and Rye. I don't know why but it really makes a big difference doing it in that particular order.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yamazaki can still be found regularly in Kyoto and Osaka. Shit's rare as hell in Tokyo though I had to go to local supermarkets to find them. If you're into Japanese whisky I highly recommend the Yamazaki distillery tour located near the Yamazaki station on the local service between Kyoto and Osaka. It's 90% in Japanese but there are english audio guides and it concludes with an amazing tasting platter.

I got to try this (that glass was like 30USD)

9nK8wNH.jpg

But for the money would prefer the 12 year. Shit's good though. You can also find 30 Year Hibiki if that's your poison.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Just started drinking whiskey recently over the holiday season. Got turned onto bourbon from this awesome eggnog. Normally I had always had it with rum and was never really a fan.

Been mostly going with this as my go to. Can't find anything else that is remotely as good for less than more than double the price. Like not even close

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
Actually, the one thing I've learned about whisky is to always try before buying a full bottle.
You can say that again. I'm glad I took it slow, bought plenty of taster bottles and tried a bunch of whiskies in bars at the beginning. I have only liked a minority of whiskies, and have disliked a bunch that are liked by most and generally considered a sure thing such as Highland Park 12 - I thought it smelled like wool socks, and not in a good way.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in Scotland and my favorites are pretty straightforward - Knockando, Laphroaig, even some of the more rare Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich releases - but what always strikes me as funny is seeing Johnnie Walker as a premium brand and conversely never seeing Bells (garbage tier but extremely popular) as an export.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Funny story about Johnnie Walker.

My friend's parents own a bar in Milford. He became a bartender without knowing much of anything about that world, and on his first night, it was $5 shot night.

I forget what it was a shot of... it was obviously some low shelf shit...but my friend, not knowing anything assumed then that all shots of all kinds of liquor there were five dollars.

So.. This guy came in and asked him how much of the Johnny Walker Blue Special edition was.. And he said "Well, it's 5 dollars".. Dude, FREAKED OUT.. Called, all of his friends, had dozens of people doing shot after shot all night and they went through bottles and bottles and bottles of this stuff.

I still don't even want to know how much money he cost his parents that night.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know we had a thread for this. Gotta keep it alive.

VIi4xb9.jpg

Found this today buried at my local store. I never rummaged through all the scotch they had stacked and when I did I started finding discontinued stuff I didn't think I'd ever be able to get at this point. For retail no less. Just grabbed Compass Box No Name from them earlier in the week. Excited to try.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lets resuscitate this: just bought cutty sark prohibition out of a hunch, don't know what to expect

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
Good idea :)

One of my colleagues just inherited his grandfather's whiskey collection (~50 unopened bottles), and I was asked to find one that we could drink in his honor at the upcoming office party.

I chose the Glendronach 15 year Revival bottle, which I am looking forward to!

Generally an impressive collection with a 1990 Distiller's choice Lagavulin
68868116_503948043515032_3797564590829600768_n.jpg

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
tried the cutty sark prohibition, and damn what a sip, tamed the beast (50% alcohol) with a shot of water as the bottle suggest and open up all the flavours, for the price range might be the best whisky I drank and rivals with more expensive ones easily.

Nice collection he got there, I wouldn't mind at all trying a couple of ones

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
Nice collection he got there, I wouldn't mind at all trying a couple of ones
That is exactly what I said. Though a lot of them are 'regularly available' bottles that I have tried before, but there were at least 5 bottles of wildly interesting (and expensive) whiskey :P
My colleague is trying to get into whiskey now because of the collection, so we're working on finding a day where we can taste some of them together.

Regarding your Cutty Sark, do you normally put water in your whiskeys, or was it just 'cause it was suggested? I find that I generally enjoy a whiskey more without water, even if it is suggested (though there are outliers that NEED a drop of water).

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That is exactly what I said. Though a lot of them are 'regularly available' bottles that I have tried before, but there were at least 5 bottles of wildly interesting (and expensive) whiskey :P
My colleague is trying to get into whiskey now because of the collection, so we're working on finding a day where we can taste some of them together.

Regarding your Cutty Sark, do you normally put water in your whiskeys, or was it just 'cause it was suggested? I find that I generally enjoy a whiskey more without water, even if it is suggested (though there are outliers that NEED a drop of water).

It depends on the whisky, some I drink straight(most of them) other I'll add a drops of water to open the flavours, I usually try the two ways and see what works with the whisky