• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
One thing I think most of us have noticed going about our lives is the prevalence of "white fragility". Even those of us on the left, or even people who would consider themselves not racist in the least fall victim to it at points.

In more than twenty years of running diversity-training and cultural-competency workshops for American companies, the academic and educator Robin DiAngelo has noticed that white people are sensationally, histrionically bad at discussing racism. Like waves on sand, their reactions form predictable patterns: they will insist that they "were taught to treat everyone the same," that they are "color-blind," that they "don't care if you are pink, purple, or polka-dotted." They will point to friends and family members of color, a history of civil-rights activism, or a more "salient" issue, such as class or gender. They will shout and bluster. They will cry. In 2011, DiAngelo coined the term "white fragility" to describe the disbelieving defensiveness that white people exhibit when their ideas about race and racism are challenged—and particularly when they feel implicated in white supremacy. Why, she wondered, did her feedback prompt such resistance, as if the mention of racism were more offensive than the fact or practice of it?

https://www.newyorker.com/books/pag...vents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

White fragility can manifest in several ways, none of them good and all of them a large stumbling block to moving forward with ending or even lessening racism and the racial divide, such as how many white people have a propensity for getting defensive when white people as a group are criticized, or how many white people have the urge for diversity only when they are missing out.

It's hard to have any discussion about racial issues when one side is constantly on the defensive and are unable to see things from the perspective of another person who does not share the color of their skin.

My question to you, Era, is this: How do we combat the defensiveness? Do you share the belief it is a prevalent issue? Have you found yourself internalizing criticism against white people as a whole when it happens?

Edit: Here is a great video posted by Spinluck

And there are also 2 wonderful videos posted below by DigitalOp

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
If people actually..... honestly..... care, they would watch these 2 videos.

Got the timestamps to work, Guess I can start tackling Systemic Racism now >_>

oh yeah and megyn kelly is so full of shit here lol

Last edited:

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you should start by approaching white people in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're accusing them of racism just for being white. Usually people don't get defensive unless they feel there's something to defend against.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I think you should start by approaching white people in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're accusing them of racism just for being white. Usually people don't get defensive unless they feel there's something to defend against.

Is there an epidemic of that going around?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

While some members on here dish out a bit too easily, sometimes you just need to concede and understand that your demographic (white) has earned the reputation. It's less an insult of yourself than it is the demographic you are a part of. Not getting defensive then speaks for your sincerity.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Do you believe the responsibility is on the person for interpreting it as an attack, or is the responsibility on the person who is trying to have a conversation about racism, especially a person effected by it? What you mentioned is white fragility, that someone would extrapolate something that way instead of taking a moment for consideration to see the merit of the argument being presented to them.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, the majority of white people even refuse to acknowledge it even exists.
If people actually..... honestly..... care, they would watch these 2 videos.

idk why it starts partway through, just roll em back to 0:00

As always, Digi. You're posts quality.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling in a sensitive topic
While some members on here dish out a bit too easily, sometimes you just need to concede and understand that your demographic (white) has earned the reputation. It's less an insult of yourself than it is the demographic you are a part of. Not getting defensive then speaks for your sincerity.
Isn't grouping an entire demographic (white) together and saying the entire demographic has earned its reputation inherently racist?

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I just got called a racist in a Facebook post because someone began to claim the reason for the forest fires in California started in 2008. I said "Of course we're blaming the black guy for what the white guy did". The local racists didn't take kindly to that one.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't grouping an entire demographic (white) together and saying the entire demographic has earned its reputation inherently racist?

oof-edward-ruscha.jpg

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say anyone has ever accused me of anything just because I'm white.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's important to acknowledge one's advantages and disadvantages in life and be aware of unconscious biases and systemic issues. I think the term "white fragility" is going to piss people off just by the way it sounds, though. There must be a better term.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No, that is not racism. In fact, it isn't even a derogatory remark towards any one person, so there's no reason to take offense. That's what I'm talking about, that a white individual would internalize that as an assault on themse;ves when they are in a position of privilege and have no standing to take offense or claim "racism" in that regard.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's important to acknowledge one's advantages and disadvantages in life and be aware of unconscious biases and systemic issues. I think the term "white fragility" is going to piss people off just by the way it sounds, though. There must be a better term.

That's like......

the definition of white fragility........

A term pisses you off? Try police fucking with you for no reason.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

The reason it is going to piss people off is white fragility lol

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, that is not racism. In fact, it isn't even a derogatory remark towards any one person, so there's no reason to take offense. That's what I'm talking about, that a white individual would internalize that as an assault on themse;ves when they are in a position of privilege and have no standing to take offense or claim "racism" in that regard.
Isn't it derogatory though to basically insinuate that all white people are prone to racism?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So what you're saying is that these white people are upset about a term that carries negative connotations about them, and which inherently makes them feel defensive and angry...

Interesting.

malyse

Community Resetter
OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Isn't it derogatory though to basically insinuate that all white people are prone to racism?
No, because it's truth, we are all prone to it because we are all born into a society that is structured that way. Our minds are poisoned by it in some form or another from the time we are kids because there is no ignoring it, it's something we all have to confront early and often in society and even within ourselves, and without recognizing that how can we move forward?

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
All white people are complicit in an oppressive system whether they like it or not. Getting defensive about it and making every single thread on the racism that minorities face into being about them being offended at every random comment shows an incredible lack of self-awareness. If they actually cared about the issue they wouldn't only show up to cry about themselves. Similar things happen in threads on women with men being offended at any and everything and derailing every thread to be about them.

It really should be a bannable offense and I do not believe those that argue over these comments ever had any interest in helping or listening to minorities or women in the first place.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

Refering to race implies that things are biologically given. White Americans historically have had the better standing at the expense of the country's minority groups. So you are refering to this group of people that happen to be in a situation where they treat other groups unfairly. And in this case, the former group happens to consist of primarily white Americans. Acknowledging that is not racist.

Shooting a black man in his own garden because your prejudice dictates he must be up to no good simply because he is black, that is racist.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's like......

the definition of white fragility........

A term pisses you off? Try police fucking with you for no reason.

If you try to engage another race using a phrase that inherently makes it sound like you're calling them weak, then don't be surprised when they respond by ignoring whatever it is you're trying to say. Especially if you double down and call them fragile a second time because they politely challenged your means of engagement.

I'm on your side, but using a term like "cultural unawareness" or something would be a better starting point. "White fragility" sounds hostile.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Out of curiosity, have you watched the videos in the thread?

Who's here for a fight and who's here to take some time and understand?

If you try to engage another race using a phrase that inherently makes it sound like you're calling them weak, then don't be surprised when they respond by ignoring whatever it is you're trying to say. Especially if you double down and call them fragile a second time because they politely challenged your means of engagement.

I'm on your side, but using a term like "cultural unawareness" or something would be a better starting point. "White fragility" sounds hostile.

Watch the videos

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I just got called a racist in a Facebook post because someone began to claim the reason for the forest fires in California started in 2008. I said "Of course we're blaming the black guy for what the white guy did". The local racists didn't take kindly to that one.
You're my favorite post today.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
All white people are complicit in an oppressive system whether they like it or not. Getting defensive about it and making every single thread on the racism that minorities face into being about them being offended at every random comment shows an incredible lack of self-awareness. If they actually cared about the issue they wouldn't only show up to cry about themselves. Similar things happen in threads on women with men being offended at any and everything and derailing every thread to be about them.

It really should be a bannable offense and I do not believe those that argue over these comments ever had any interest in helping or listening to minorities or women in the first place.
I do think this is an issue here and don't want to downplay it, but I also don't want the thread to get locked by derailing into a discussion about Era.

Oct 25, 2017
(White guy here, full disclaimer)

I'm honestly interested in how I can bring these sorts of things up with other white guys. It's absolutely infuriating sometimes, I'm in the guard and my current unit is HEAVILY Republican. I constantly have to just listen to them bitch about their "oh woe is me" tales while simultaneously laughing at people for "it's just words how can you care?" That's not really just regarding race but pretty much applies to every situation. Worst part is I'm the only left leaning guy there, so I can't really say anything without getting grouped up on. Blech.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

I'm honestly interested in how I can bring these sorts of things up with other white guys. It's absolutely infuriating sometimes, I'm in the guard and my current unit is HEAVILY Republican. I constantly have to just listen to them bitch about their "oh woe is me" tales while simultaneously laughing at people for "it's just words how can you care?" That's not really just regarding race but pretty much applies to every situation. Worst part is I'm the only left leaning guy there, so I can't really say anything without getting grouped up on. Blech.

Show them the Tim Wise video I posted.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
There's too many white people thinking racism doesn't exist. Only white people think that. Then when people who are racist do racism it isn't racism.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You will never be able to convice them as a group, groups of people can justufy anything. Frank one on one discussions might make some progress but the best tactic I've found is to make it obvious that you are cringing at them when they say some stupid shit, shame is the best motivator imo.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017

People saying "it's just words" and "how dare you use the word racist" form a single circle in a Venn diagram.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So what you're saying is that these white people are upset about a term that carries negative connotations about them, and which inherently makes them feel defensive and angry...

Interesting.
I dont get posts like these. Like I know what you mean but I'm sure the poster agrees with you that racial slurs are bad and damaging.

I'm sure there are people out there that get mad at the term white fragility and see no problem with the n word, but not the poster you are arguing with.