• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
So to give some context to this, Grand Theft Auto V has a popular roleplaying server called NoPixel, populated by streamers and other players who roleplay different characters.

A Black character named Mike Block is played by a Twitch streamer named Penta who is white. The in-game character is usually a chaos character doing crime, calling everyone "dawg" and is kind of portrayed as a stereotypical gangster like character. They're well known on the server for their excessive crime which includes kidnapping, robbing, murdering and everything in between.

Last night a character in the game named Malcolm who is played by Twitch streamer adamvision was shot in the head by Mike Block, and Malcolm went on to call out the character in RP, by saying "his makeup is running" and "he's not really Black".

There's been conversations in the past about playing someone different to your race in roleplay, and I can understand why someone playing a stereotypical Black criminal calling everyone "dawg" is problematic if you're white.

Here are the clips from both perspectives.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Penta, the white dude playing the Black character logged off not long after and reported the other streamer to get them banned for bringing up he's not really Black in roleplay. While doing this his chat went on to call adamvision a SJW, cringe and virtue signaller for calling it out.

You can click 'Watch Full Video' on the clips above to see the streamers talk about it more.

Reddit thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RPClipsGTA/comments/nxwnyc/weird_random_shouts_out_mikes_secret/

Dexerto article: https://www.dexerto.com/gta/xqc-def...r-being-accused-of-digital-blackface-1593575/

On his June 11 GTA stream, Penta got into a feud with fellow roleplayer Adam 'adamvision' Nickerson, which resulted in Penta shooting him dead. Afterwards, Nickerson proceeded to repeatedly tell Penta the "makeup" was "fading off", referencing the traditional use of blackface.

Nickerson then tweeted a follow-up statement, where he doubled down on his criticism of Penta. "Tonight's stream got heated and I said things that will likely be torn apart for more drama," he said.

"In summary; I think digital blackface is blackface. I think it's inappropriate, harmful and distasteful. If you think otherwise, please don't follow or support me."

But Penta disagreed, and accused Nickerson of being a "living, breathing reddit comment". He added: "It's a situation where people are so used to playing themselves in RP that they think everyone needs to do that."

This was pretty crazy to see brought up in-game in the roleplay, I've seen streamers talk about white people playing Black characters and calling it bad on their streams but never in the game like this. Unfortunately, stereotypical criminals using accents is pretty prevalent in RP.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there another publicized controversy like this previously with a character called Mr. Chang?

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mike Block was created to mock the gang banger characters who exist just to act like wannabe gangsters. He's not meant to be taken seriously but I don't know why he has to be black and I don't condone it any way. Just trying to give a bit of context.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there another publicized controversy like this previously with a character called Mr. Chang?
Yeah, the guy ended up killing the character and replacing him with a near facsimile named Mr. K., sans the blatant racism. I think he was threatened with a Twitch ban, which prompted the change. Dude streams on FB Gaming now.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing racial stereotypes, previous infractions for dismissing concerns of bigotry and sexism
Disgusting. GTA Online should require KYC verification and disable race options for white players.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of two minds about this, I don't think Penta is being malicious about it since Mike Block is supposed to be a shitlord character that has existed since 2.0 but I don't think he needs to be black. But Penta isn't the only one who RP's a different race, it's an inside problem within NoPixel itself.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Question: On FFXIV, my character is a Hellsguard Roegadyn

flW4p22.png

I've been asking myself if that was okay? I chose that race because tall women and that clan because the other one had something weird that I didn't like. I'm pretty standard caucasian, but I'd like to know mostly just to learn more about this kind of stuff and educate myself. I do like my character a lot and how it looks tho

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen penta use any racial slurs and the word dawg is used by anyone. The dudes just pissed he was shot in the head. The Mike Block char has entire family played by many different streamers.

Dec 20, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Around Racism; Prior Related Ban
Imagine being upset over Mike Block.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how popular GTA RP streams are, I tried watching one for like 5 minutes and it was the most mundane boring thing I could imagine. Watching somebody go to work virtually and spend money virtually, it's not for me.

RP as a different humanoid race is a little odd but I don't know if it's malicious or really worth giving whoever the streamer is the attention.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a minefield. I get the whole RP to perceived racial stereotypes - that's a no-no but this could shit on folk who just want to play a different race/gender etc. Where do we stop?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018

flW4p22.png

I've been asking myself if that was okay? I chose that race because tall women and that clan because the other one had something weird that I didn't like. I'm pretty standard caucasian, but I'd like to know mostly just to learn more about this kind of stuff and educate myself. I do like my character a lot and how it looks tho

I'm white and have done text RP in video games and RP forums as nonwhite characters. I think maybe the main takeaway of the issue here is not using stereotypes/fetishization in your portrayal, but I'm interested in hearing more perspectives as well.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

flW4p22.png

I think the issue lies more with a white guy playing a caricature of a Black guy than necessarily a white person playing a Black character.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

flW4p22.png

Are you RP'ing. There's also a huge canyon between picking fantasy races in an MMO and playing characters in a reality based MMO. Ya know? Like there isn't a history of Roegadyn being stereotyped by media for decades that bleeds into real world opinions...

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm white and have done text RP in video games and RP forums as nonwhite characters. I think maybe the main takeaway of the issue here is not using stereotypes/fetishization in your portrayal, but I'm interested in hearing more perspectives as well.
I think the issue lies more with a white guy playing a caricature of a Black guy than necessarily a white person playing a Black character.

Ahhhh, okay, so it's like about the way you'd speak in an RP situation for example?

Are you RP'ing. There's also a huge canyon between picking fantasy races in an MMO and playing characters in a reality based MMO. Ya know? Like there isn't a history of Roegadyn being stereotyped by media for decades that bleeds into real world opinions...

I don't actually (other than well, the options in dialogue that the game gives you). I've thought about making a backstory for my character that would fit her (mixing roegadyn origins + limsa lominsa) but it would be for myself to find ways of connecting my character to the game's story even more. As far as I had written, she was a big sister of 2 kids and had to travel to limsa lominsa after the Calamity and such. But nothing else.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
How do people not get embarrassed doing shit like this? Talking about the guy doing digital blackface btw

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
This server has been guarded from these types of criticisms for a very long time. I understand in general Twitch is a generally well known space for the conservative pipeline but the way any critique of digital black-face is thrown it's regularly disgarded.

It's a weird thing to do, particularly because of the stereo-typical make-up.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing racial stereotypes
I think the beauty of videogames is getting to play as a host of different characters. I don't know why anyone would want to limit that.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is gonna be a minefield. I get the whole RP to perceived racial stereotypes - that's a no-no but this could shit on folk who just want to play a different race/gender etc. Where do we stop?

Why don't we just keep the conversation to the topic at hand (a white person role-playing as a Black person with insensitive racist overtones) rather than worrying about an imaginary slippery slope?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you're using a lot of AAVE and trying to mimic the culture, that makes you a sussy baka.

In case people want to know a bit more about digital blackface, here's a great video by Khadija Mbowe:

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not malicious but reports the other guy and apparently fosters a chat that calls other SJWs.

Oct 27, 2017
Never been to the EtcetEra part of the board?
I've spent a lot of time on the gaming side of Era where people like to downplay, marginalize and trivialize minorities, yep. But that goes hand in hand with gaming "culture", doesn't it.

The fact is, if a white dude wants to roleplay as minority characters online and even thinks about basing their persona around harmful ignorant stereotypes and boiling us down to caricature bullshit, this black dude gonna slap the white off of em.

But eh, why take these concerns seriously when white gamers can downplay racism. Right? Whether you are or not I don't know but as a general statement -- cishet White people really need to sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and listen instead of talking over others and their lived experiences once in a while.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
GTA RP is public contemporary theatre. Just with a huge global audience.

The guy did blackface on a production that earns a lot of ppl a living to be seen and heard (not played!) by a live audience.
This isn't gaming by yourself you fucks

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Penta is a known asshole and the way he plays Mike has always been pretty sus, but he's also a close friend of the admins so I doubt much will come of this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've spent a lot of time on the gaming side of Era where people like to downplay, marginalize and trivialize minorities, yep. But that goes hand in hand with gaming "culture", doesn't it.

The fact is, if a white dude wants to roleplay as minority characters online and even thinks about basing their persona around harmful ignorant stereotypes and boiling us down to caricature bullshit, this black dude gonna slap the white off of em.

But eh, why take these concerns seriously when white gamers can downplay racism. Right? Whether you are or not I don't know but as a general statement -- cishet White people really need to sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and listen instead of talking over others and their lived experiences once in a while.
I don't know what's wrong with people in this thread. You're not crazy.

I've watched plenty of GTA RP over the past 4 years. Penta continuing to do Mike Block is fucking bullshit. As someone who's seen plenty of his streams, my takeaway is that he's a racist with zero empathy.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
people have been doing this sort of thing on twitch for the past 5 years,

actually Penta has a thing for non white insane characters,
his oldest main
thefamilyrp.fandom.com

Jack Jackson

Jack Jackson, sometimes known as "Uncle", is a 39-year-old Vietnamese man from Arizona. He is an OG and Leader of The Grove Street Collective and The Grove Street Family, he is considered a mastermind within the criminal community. Feared, loved, and incredibly smart. The first time he killed...

another main that even "kidnapped and murdered" a "baby" back in family RP days
nopixel.fandom.com

Jordan Steele/3.0

Jordan Steele is a character role-played by PENTA. Jordan Steele is an aspiring Junior Attorney for the Department of Justice and currently works at Steele O'Banion & Friends Law Firm. He was formerly a tow truck driver, former security guards for Pillbox, Dollar Pills and Burger Shot, the...

I haven't watched much of this but he was playing with Jewish stereotypes quite a bit
nopixel.fandom.com

Chase Clouter/3.0

Chase Clouter is a character role-played by Penta. Chase "The Package" Clouter is a 150-year old (at least according to his birth certificate), Hasidic Jewish, homosexual, former-Olympic marathon swimmer. He's more homosexual than he is Jewish. He has claimed to be from Vice City, Liberty City...

nopixel.fandom.com

Ricky Robins

Ricky Robins was a character role-played by PENTA Ricky Robins is a former member of the Leanbois. Also formerly a limbless man. Ricky can usually find accompanying the help of people, which eventually lead to the Leanbois helping him, oftentimes proposing crazy schemes, manipulating people into...
this character was horrible to watch, it had no arms and legs and for a while his humor was just based on that and pretty wild

his cop character is a "closeted gay" and his humor often goes there,

maybe there is a patern? maybe I'm seeing things?
Penta doesn't seem like a bad person/racist when he is talking at all, he gives me the opposite impression, but this stuff is weird...

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
huh. this is interesting. Is this like a white actor voicing a black character in an animated thing? hmmm

I'm a fairly hetero cis dude but almost always play women if given the chance. Curious about once it becomes a public performance. might be over thinking it, but interesting to see where this goes in the coming years, obviously the RP part is a big big big part of it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The callout was "he's not really black." I don't see how that by itself is a problem. I played as Jin Sakai yesterday and I'm not really Japanese. The day before that I played as my Red Dead Online character, and I'm not really a woman.
Played a fully realized player character with their own storyline and voice is not the same as playing as a create-a-character and role playing.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
The guy calling-out the other guy is still role-playing? He doesn't seem to be protesting about the stereotyping or the way this guy plays, he's just yelling "look! he's not black!"

?

NoidVoid

Jan 5, 2019
This is an interesting conversation. I fully understand how Hollywood needed to stop casting actors as other ethnicities when actors who actually have that ethnic background were being passed over for those parts.

online roleplay servers are a bit different. There aren't any real limitations to who can play as long as you can log on to the server or at the least, have the necessary patience to wait in the queue - my initial thought is as long as you are not being disrespectful, or accentuating racist stereotypes or caricatures it doesn't bother me personally

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
huh. this is interesting. Is this like a white actor voicing a black character in an animated thing? hmmm

I'm a fairly hetero cis dude but almost always play women if given the chance. Curious about once it becomes a public performance. might be over thinking it, but interesting to see where this goes in the coming years, obviously the RP part is a big big big part of it.

that's the big question, this is not simply RP in the regular sense, because they are doing for an audience, it's live , improve acting for thousands and thousands of people, and they are making a good amount of money out of it, so it gets tricky in that regard,

I'm totally not against people RPing whatever they want, but this is a little different, and when you are RPing something like this (another "race") I think you should be more careful with stereotypes and keep a level of respect...