• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/15/18626785/white-house-trump-censorsip-tool-twitter-instagram-facebook-conservative-bias-social-media

On Wednesday, the White House launched a new tool for people to use if they feel they've been wrongly censored, banned, or suspended on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.

"Too many Americans have seen their accounts suspended, banned, or fraudulently reported for unclear 'violations' of user policies," the site reads. "No matter your views, if you suspect political bias caused such an action to be taken against you, share your story with President Trump."

A Twitter spokesperson responded to the new tool saying, "We enforce the Twitter Rules impartially for all users, regardless of their background or political affiliation. We are constantly working to improve our systems and will continue to be transparent in our efforts."

Facebook, Google, and YouTube did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Other members of the Trump family, like Don Jr., have also voiced concern of the deplatforming of right-wing activists. In a tweet last month, President Trump's eldest son wrote "The purposeful & calculated silencing of conservatives on Facebook & the rest of the Big Tech monopoly men should terrify everyone," after Facebook announced that it would banning conspiracy theorist Alex Jones along with other far-right pundits and activists.

The tool also collects significant personal information from the user, and near the end invites users to opt into email newsletters from President Trump, "so we can update you without relying on platforms like Facebook and Twitter." A separate question points users to an extensive user agreement, and makes clear that "you understand this form is for information gathering only."

A later question asks the user what year the Declaration of Independence was signed "just to confirm you aren't a robot." This is an unorthodox anti-scripting technique, and a generally ineffective one, given the relative simplicity of automatically entering a number.

IMO, defending Alex Jones like this should be seen as one of the biggest self-owns a rube like Don Jr can do. But what do I know...

Censor me if old.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Skim read that as just "White House launches tool" and hoped that someone had chucked Trump out of a second-floor window.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Man... when this White House wants to do something, they sure don't waste time or resources. Lol

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Even the websites font makes me feel uncomfortable...

i mean censorship is bad and silencing voices you don't like is bad too

don't know how to feel about this
Yes, I too like to hear nazis and racists push their agenda as I argue for their freedom to hinder and destroy our forward progress in society.../s

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
ah yes, the free speech warriors who are plain hypocrites complaining about censorship again. how comical it would be if they were not running the goverment

Trump is the same dude who tried to sue bill maher and the onion over a joke and satire piece respectively

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Took a quick look, seems like there's nothing stopping users from just sending whatever. You can even put in a nonexistent zip code.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Is it legal to ban someone from a website even if it were politically motivated? Pretty sure it is.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

They are private platforms that can literally ban whoever they like. It isn't bad to ban people who push conspiracy theories that cause literal suicide.

Also, silencing the voices of white supremacists and Nazis is a very good thing, so I'm not certain why you feel uneasy. Deplatforming works.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Clinton was, if anything, too tame with the deplorables comment. It's like a meeting of the worst damn people in the world and they all stick up for each other's right to shit up the discourse.

This is why deplatforming works. These people's thoughts need to be isolated from the rest of the world because of how it breeds.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Those platforms have a choice in what they want to support. If they don't want to deal with your ass, tough luck. Go start/host your own shit. That isn't censorship or an act against freedom of speech.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Also how long til they amend that constitution of yours with 'every man hath a right to Twitter account'?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I'm not sure how you can look at the complete lack of moderation twitter and youtube have when it comes to actually dangerous videos and think there's too much censorship and that reporting it to the same administration that refused to support the non binding nothingness of the christchurch massacre resolution is a good idea.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people who were banned here on Era will fill this out and complain about moderation here

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can we just spam this with funny satirical bans? There's like a 80% chance they wouldn't even be able to identify them.

Or spam it with ways they've been deplatforming people, like tales of gerrymandering and voter purges?

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
One more thing, just to confirm you aren't a robot. The Declaration of Independence was signed in what year?

How many people will get this wrong.

it also stops you from entering anything as soon as you say you are an illegal.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
ok guys i get it the post wasnt good i just dont like censorship of any form
UpH4OQ3.png

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I just used it submitting myself as Donald Trump and quoted his own tweets....

...and to see if I wasn't a robot - it asked me what year the declaration of independence was signed. Brah, no one in the Drumpfs admin could even answer that...
How many people will get this wrong.

it also stops you from entering anything as soon as you say you are an illegal.
Lol yeah. I also feel like this tool will be taken down soon after the interwebs abuses it

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's really the same question every time to check if you're a bot? It was the Declaration of Independence question for me too.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sent a report saying I got banned for calling the Don a bad word on Twitter.

Hopefully they tackle my censorship with utmost haste!

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
After filling everything out, it's just a fundraiser info dump. Classic Trump, turning improper government intervention into a scam to get more money.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
"Are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?" is an interesting question

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This reporting tool is so hilariously stupid.

This is not "censhorship". No matter how badly Trump wants it to be.

It is censorship. The government is not the only authority capable of censorship - any authority is. In this case, the platform holders (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) are the authority of their own platform.

What it's not, however, is a violation of the 1st amendment right to freedom of speech. That can only be violated by the government.