• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Oh please. It is everything. They can't stop talking about her. She is the new Hillary of the right. And btw AOC is constantly right on a lot of things.
Hillary was much smarter... But I do agree that there's a hit job by FOX news as well. I don't think it's ONLY that though...

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The point being that the numbers are correct (if older white men make up a certain part of the sample and they really hate her more strongly than the groups she wins in likes her, she's losing overall).

It's a slip-up by the person who framed it, because it may just be them being a numbers person and not understanding that other people won't get it, but it also shows the power of subconscious bias that they didn't see that and think to make a point of it.

It also illustrates the problems with US politics pretty while. Older white people and especially old white men run much more conservative than the rest of the country, but do so in a more lockstep manner than other demographics and create the problem with winning elections (also since old white people are overrepresented in the Senate and Electoral College).

Oct 25, 2017
LOl what....

The story is the dude made it sound like she's underwater with Americans.... but she's literally only strongly disliked by one Demo... The Fox News Demo... older white men.

That's not how it works. She could be down with white women aged 18-24 or black men aged 55+, you can't tell from that tweet since it doesn't break it down further. It groups all women in one group and all 18-34 in one group and so on.

It's exactly like how he says "Americans disapprove of AOC". When you break down the numbers you find the pockets of support. Take a statement like "women support AOC", and break it down into more precise demographics and you get a clearer picture. I doubt you'll find that literally every type of woman supports AOC, and they are not a subset of "white men aged 35+"

Last edited:

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hillary was much smarter... But I do agree that there's a hit job by FOX news as well. I don't think it's ONLY that though...

Is this supposed to be a competition between AOC and Hillary? I don't really care who you think is smarter. But what I do know is that the right is really scared of her.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I noticed this too. When I actually looked at the polling it didn't really seem to suggest that "Americans" were viewing her more negatively

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
D1y7sYMW0AA9Frn

Best Twitter response!

Also LOL fuck you Josh Jordan.

Also lol you're a fucking idiot.
This is obviously not true though. The fact that no-one seems to be able to understand over lapping categories is kinda depressing.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The point being that the numbers are correct (if older white men make up a certain part of the sample and they really hate her more strongly than the groups she wins in likes her, she's losing overall).

It's a slip-up by the person who framed it, because it may just be them being a numbers person and not understanding that other people won't get it, but it also shows the power of subconscious bias that they didn't see that and think to make a point of it.

It also illustrates the problems with US politics pretty while. Older white people and especially old white men run much more conservative than the rest of the country, but do so in a more lockstep manner than other demographics and create the problem with winning elections (also since old white people are overrepresented in the Senate and Electoral College).

No dude is literally from the National Review... he's doing it on purpose

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like her, but let's not kid ourselves. She isn't particularly great at everything she does. She often jumps to conclusions, has unrealistic proposals, and isn't necessarily forward thinking. There's plenty to criticize her about (just like any politician).
This has fuck all to do with the topic. The topic isn't even really about AOC herself to begin with; she and that Twitter post are just being used as an example of a much larger problem of how society sees "white male" as default and everything else as inherently other. That "while male" matters and is elevated to a level other demographics aren't. That's the type of thing that the topic is about; AOC herself is an example, so what you're saying has nothing to do with the actual topic and is completely missing the forest for the trees here.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
D1yjW4TWkAACaW0

It's hard to look at this without feeling somewhat discouraged. I like AOC a lot and if anything I feel more favorable towards her. Granted, I'm a registered Democrat so I suppose that's reflected in the poll.
Apparently ERA can't look at anything objectively even when our sympathies are similar. These look pretty bad. -7 with independents and +8 with decocrats is nothing to brag about...

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Na tmz should take offense, they shit. Also this a big problem with the media where old white men from the heartland are seen as the real Americans.
I think the takeaway is tmz is great compared to fox which is sub-shit lol.

However I would like to know who voted most. If it's old white dudes then sadly they become representative of the voting public which is what matters in elections

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
september 2018
whites: -9
nonwhites: 11

february 2019
whites: -24
nonwhites: 20

white people continue to disappoint

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Framing asside, I had no idea AOC was running for President where she would possibly be beholden to national polls!

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I hope we elect some more people that make the fascists wet their pants, because watching them focus on AOC for a decade is going to get exhausting.

Oct 25, 2017
D1y7sYMW0AA9Frn

Best Twitter response!

You see this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. You literally cannot tell from that tweet whether white women aged 18-34 or men of colour support AOC. That's now how this works, that's now how any of this works.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb tweet for sure but those numbers are still pretty poor and demonstrate that the right's demonization of her is working all too well

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Obviously, but we can still call it out for being ridiculous and unneeded in this conversation.
My point was that these numbers look bad for her and FOX News isn't the only reason. In my opinion some of it is self inflicted. But hopefully she will lear on a job well. When Hillary's numbers were bad it was a result of years of BS investigations.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This isn't about white women though. So I'm not sure what point you are making...
Im saying that if white women support trump on a majority level of course her support with women including white women is gonna be smaller than non white women

This isnt a poll of just democrats lol

In fact I think its kind of amazing she's more favorable than unfavorable for older white women

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My point was that these numbers look bad for her and FOX News isn't the only reason. In my opinion some of it is self inflicted. But hopefully she will lear on a job well. When Hillary's numbers were bad it was a result of years of BS investigations.
Compare these numbers to literally any other prominent democrat. Youre also severely downplaying fox news and how much of this country is conservative.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Im saying that if white women support trump on a majority level of course her support with women including white women is gonna be smaller than non white women

This isnt a poll of just democrats lol

In fact I think its kind of amazing she's more favorable than unfavorable for older white women
But the numbers are not broken out by white women...

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Man, seeing her favorables dropping is pretty depressing even if she still has a net positive for the most part. The right wing outrage machine went into full mobilization against HRC when she went all in on national healthcare for children and they eventually wore her down with the constant stream of bullshit. I thought it would be different with AOC, but it absolutely looks like it's working.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Man, seeing her favorables dropping is pretty depressing even if she still has a net positive for the most part. The right wing outrage machine went into full mobilization against HRC when she went all in on national healthcare for children and they eventually wore her down with the constant stream of bullshit. I thought it would be different with AOC, but it absolutely looks like it's working.

Propaganda works. Especially when the talking points are as well coordinated as the GOP's.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's not self-inflicted if nearly all the hitjobs on her are "she doesn't understand basic math" and are proveably false.

You're drinking the Kool-Aid.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
But they include white women

Who voted for trump

This is like talking to a brick wall
You are making assumptions. What do her non-White women numbers look like then? Are those low since they are not outweighting White women? We just don't know. All we can talk about is Women overall because that's all that we have.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
What an non issue.

She's 29. Her favourable demographic is <35. Seems set for the future. Unless you magically turn racist and fascist at 35.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's not self-inflicted if nearly all the hitjobs on her are "she doesn't understand basic math" and are proveably false.

You're drinking the Kool-Aid.
Im interested in what these self inflicted mistakes even are

Truly dont know

That green new deal spat with pelosi that was a work and ended up with a boost for both wings of the party?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You are making assumptions. What do her non-White women numbers look like then? Are those low since they are not outweighting White women? We just don't know. All we can talk about is Women overall because that's all that we have.
I'm making assumptions that her women numbers include white women. We know her non white numbers are extremely favorable.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
D1y7sYMW0AA9Frn

Best Twitter response!

A bit nit pickbut are those ticks representative of her polls ? Cause you can be negative in more than just the one segment and still be consistent with the post . Eg poc women high pos , young poc high positive will offset white women negative etc.

Or is that representative of her actual polling ? Curious about where all she is negative apart from white older males . Also is she positive in 18-34 white males also ? Etc.

I am curious about how she polls in general with all segments given she's gone quite a bit net negative .

Having said that the original tweet is silly.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
despite how misleading this poll is framed something is really starting to bug about poll numbers to begin with.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Im interested in what these self inflicted mistakes even are

Truly dont know

That green new deal spat with pelosi that was a work and ended up with a boost for both wings of the party?
Truly random example. I fucking hate NRA but talking about NRA yesterday was kind of dumb thing. What does NRA have to do with New Zealand?